Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

PJ posted on FB earlier thanking people for watching the love event last week. In it, he admits they're only now looking and getting to the footage of film two. They are flying literally byte seat of their pants. I think that works to a degree but it hardly inspires confidence.

I want the extended edition. If its handled right. I'm after watching all the LOTR EE's last week and I'm actually a big fan but I was appalled at all the completely unnecessary changes they made. Outside the necessity for pace/editing.

I'm not complaining for the sake of it. This is precious material to all of us and I'd rather it be done as well as possible or not at all. PJ, Boyens& Walsh have only managed an average result. Not a perfect one. It gets dragged up to quality by all the Art and prop departments etc. there are fan made versions of LOTR on YouTube that are far better than the official films. If those guys only had the budget, we'd be in heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I hope they milk the book for every last tale, its easily one of the best books ever written for me

I seriously hope they don't. The more they do that the more the films feel like a disconnected hodgepodge of Tolkien minutiae and side-stories than they do a consistent series of films. It's nice knowing how such-and-such happened during the Hobbit and contributed to later storylines in LOTR but it's easy enough to deduce the stuff that really matters without bogging down the viewer with loads of unnecessary prequel stuff. I wasn't pleased with the treatment film one gave the book but I have higher hopes for film two. Hopefully it'll be more Hobbit-orientated and not too much LOTR prequel stuff.

Weirdly I'd agree with everything you've said except one thing. In the books, The White Council goes and expels the Necromancer(revealed as Sauron) from Dol Goldur. I'd love to see some proper magic and see Gandalf/Galadriel/Elrond go and kick some ass. How cool would that be?

We know they're powerful and as the oldest living elf in middle earth, we get a glimpse of Galadriels power in that flaky weird scene in the Fellowship movie. Just want to see the three elven rings at work. Must be special if Tolkien wrote about it yet gave very little detail(something he did with a lot of the most important events.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hope they milk the book for every last tale, its easily one of the best books ever written for me

I hope so too, one of the things I loved about LOTR is the depth of the story & world, you got the idea they compressed a massive amount of information into a few hours, so (me anyway) got more info upon repeat viewings of the films. However the Hobbit, got everything first time, which had me a little disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Half price rental of this on the Sky Store for anyone that's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

there was huge amounts only skimmed over in the books that unless you read the other books by tolkin you wouldnt know whats going on, I'm very happy they went into detail into the side stories of gandalf and the witchking and the early issues with the dwarves and elves than the book barely skimmed over. I hope they milk the book for every last tale, its easily one of the best books ever written for me

Right, which is fine. I loved the Hobbit.

But they've already milked it dry. It's not like LotR where they added Saruman's death but still had to leave out "the Scouring of the Shire" from the end.

They've already covered everything in the book and there's still plenty of superflous content. Anything added is likely to be just more superfluous content.

I'll still see it, of course.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Anyone know when this is on sky premiere. Also any news on the second film being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

greenman09 wrote: »
    Anyone know when this is on sky premiere. Also any news on the second film being released.

Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again will both be released in December of 2013 and 2014 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again will both be released in December of 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Evangeline Lily is Tauriel in the second movie.

movies_thehobbitdos.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I cant wait for the Legend of the Hobbit: A Link to the Past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

When are we likely to see a video blog from Jackson on Desolation of Smaug?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Maaa! wrote: »
    When are we likely to see a video blog from Jackson on Desolation of Smaug?

n da nxt wk

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TobyRyan

zerks wrote: »
    Evangeline Lily is Tauriel in the second movie.

movies_thehobbitdos.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2336412/Evangeline-Lilly-elf-warrior-Tauriel-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Smaug.html

Just saw this article on The Daily Mail. Not saying this is totally reliable but a couple of things annoyed me. Could anyone spread some light on it.

Who is the love interest? Legolas? And also a Silvan Elf is 'lowly'. I've read The Silmarillion (albeit a few years ago) so have a fair idea of Elf lore. They are different yes, but a lesser Elf is a bit much. Silvan elves are in Lorien too.

I dont know what I'm expecting it is The Daily Mail so it could all be codswallop but do your research people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Talking about the character, Tauriel, Lilly says: 'She's slightly reckless and totally ruthless and doesn't hesitate to kill.'

Sounds sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Maaa!

Maybe she will kill Legolas! That will cause a stir around Mirkwood!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

TobyRyan wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2336412/Evangeline-Lilly-elf-warrior-Tauriel-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Smaug.html

Just saw this article on The Daily Mail. Not saying this is totally reliable but a couple of things annoyed me. Could anyone spread some light on it.

Who is the love interest? Legolas? And also a Silvan Elf is 'lowly'. I've read The Silmarillion (albeit a few years ago) so have a fair idea of Elf lore. They are different yes, but a lesser Elf is a bit much. Silvan elves are in Lorien too.

I dont know what I'm expecting it is The Daily Mail so it could all be codswallop but do your research people.

I wouldn't call them "lowly". The Sindar are elves that never travelled across the sea to Valinor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

She doesn’t hold the same kind of status that Arwen or Galadriel or Elrond or Legolas do — she’s much more lowly.

Well, yes and no. The Silvan Elves are certainly more lowly than the High Elves who have been to the West and come back, like Galadriel. Of course, the rest of the High Elves in Middle-Earth are all pretty lowly compared to Galadriel, too, who is in the All Time Top Ten of Elf greatness.

Elrond is called half-elven, but his other half is the opposite of lowly, and includes an honest-to-God Angel.

Arwen has never been to the West, but is the child of a High Elf and Elrond (and a grandaughter of Galadriel), so she is not Lowly.

Legolas is Silvan and therefore lowly, but he is a prince among lowly elves.

So the only named Elf as lowly as Tauriel I can think of in the movies so far is Haldir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

her hair looks wierd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

her hair looks wierd

It should appear more normal on screen.

If I recall from the initial batch of "making of" videos, everyone seemed to have their appearence turned up a notch in terms of colour palate and makeup.

I assume this is to accomodate the 3D filming and will be smoothed out when the film is colour graded in post production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Trailer Tuesday, next.From facebook
    "The new teaser trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be unveiled this Tuesday, June 11th, at 10am PST / 1pm EST!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

New poster out for Hobbit Part Deux

179776_10151659722336558_141261027_n.jpg

It occurred to me today. The hobbit. A slim tiny book. Expanded into three films. Yet each of the three LOTR movies get one each.
    They could have done with three each too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

david75 wrote: »
    It occurred to me today. The hobbit. A slim tiny book. Expanded into three films. Yet each of the three LOTR movies get one each.

its not just hobbit book the 3 movie are from hobbit book and The Silmarillion combine together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In a certain sense, the story exists independent of the book and "The Hobbit" is merely the telling of the story in a way that's accessible to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Gbear wrote: »
    In a certain sense, the story exists independent of the book and "The Hobbit" is merely the telling of the story in a way that's accessible to children.

well the casting director Ross howard of peter jackson movies she informed me the hobbits 3 movies are based from "The Hobbit" and The Silmarillion

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    its not just hobbit book the 3 movie are from hobbit book and The Silmarillion combine together

No-one has the rights to film any of The Silmarillion, and they won't be getting them at least until Christopher Tolkien is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

david75 wrote: »

The Hobbit films will have footage from the appendices from The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings so The Hobbit films are based on more than one book. The 3rd Hobbit film will serve as an ending to The Hobbit and lead into the Lord of The Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It's not The Silmarillion, it's stuff from the appendices at the back of LOTR

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It's not The Silmarillion, it's stuff from the appendices at the back of LOTR

And a bunch of makey-uppey nonsense with no basis in Tolkien, of course. They can invent bunny sleds and badly animated one-armed albino giant Orcs without permission from the Tolkien estate.

• Advertisement

wampyrus77 wrote: »

Em. No. The only things In the hobbit that also feature in the silmarillion are glamdring, orcrist, Elrond and Galadriel.

If you mean storyline, absolutely nothing from the Silmarillion features in the hobbit.

You're thinking of the tale of lost years, most of which is contained the appendices of lotr, from which it seems a lot of this 'expanded story' is coming from.

Not Silmarillion though. Jackson et al do not have the rights to delve into anything other than what contained in the hobbit and LOTR. Silmarillion is not on the table for them at all. Nor ever will be. Look it up.

Advertisement