Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pixelburp wrote: »
    the first film really killed my enthusiasm stone-dead

I watched the second one, and it's worse than the first if you like Tolkien or the book. It's OK as a generic CGI action movie.

The Hobbit is a tiny little book, so we knew Jackson was going to add in a lot of LotR related stuff (he owns the rights), plus (on his previous record) a lot of bollocks he thinks is cool, but he still felt the need to cut stuff in the book out to make room for the LotR backstory and invented bollocksology.

I'm avoiding trailers and such for the 3rd part, since I'll be bringing the kids to it at Christmas, and I do not need to know in advance that Smaug shows up at the battle after surviving Laketown only to be killed in hand to hand combat by Bilbo.

Or whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

pixelburp wrote: »
    I still haven't got around to seeing the second film in the series: the first film really killed my enthusiasm stone-dead, and another 3 hours spent in a Lucas'esque CGI wasteland seemed like a chore rather than entertainment. Is the second part worth the investment? Seems like the barrel sequence gets mentioned a lot as a particular lowpoint

This will seem hard to believe, but the first is better than the second by a large degree...if you can find the extended edition, watch that..its only an extra 11 minutes or so but it actually does add a lot.

the second, is such a disappointment..all it needed to do really was to make Smaug awesome, and it does that for the most part, but it takes *forever* to get to that point

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Preferred the 2nd one myself, though it feels like it ended a half hour too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Preferred the 2nd one myself, though it feels like it ended a half hour too soon.

Ah, but that half hour will now be stretched into a whole 3 hour movie!

Advertisement