Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Right, can't say i understand why a digital movie has to be transfered to film for projection. Surely the digital move can be just played using a HD (or higher) projector?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Right, can't say i understand why a digital movie has to be transfered to film for projection. Surely the digital move can be just played using a HD (or higher) projector?
    Yeah, but not all cinemas have digital projectors yet.

Well that needs to be fixed in fairness, we're living in the "digital age" and all :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I take it it will also have to be converted to 24fps for Blu-ray. I mean, current HDTVs barely support 24p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Well that needs to be fixed in fairness, we're living in the "digital age" and all :pac:

That's all well and good but right now there's a large cost involved and the current technology still works perfectly fine. It's also a known quantity and has been around for over a century, constantly being refined and improved upon.

There's a certain amount of wariness upgrading to digital especially if, in a few years time, more upgrades are required to keep up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Will Peter Jackson's The Hobbit change cinema for ever?

The Lord of the Rings director is shooting his new film at 48 frames per second – twice as fast as the industry standard

The cinema, said Jean-Luc Godard, is truth, 24 times per second. That's not truthful enough for some people. This week, Peter Jackson announced that he is shooting his new version of The Hobbit at 48 frames per second, a massively more expensive process that captures movement and detail with far greater accuracy. In his blog, Jackson says that we have tolerated the sprockety old 24fps speed for far too long, and this is like "the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs". Jackson calls for cinemas worldwide to switch over to 48fps projection speeds to show his Hobbit, which is of course in 3D; he dismisses "purists" unhappy at the consequent textural loss of blur and strobing – comparable, perhaps, to art historians who lament the cleaning of an Old Master canvas, which removes its grainy, characterful darkness.

Are we witnessing that most unreliable phenomenon: the game-changer? Higher frame-rates have been mooted before, but like Imax and 3D, they have been used for theme-park displays: the economics of mass cinema distribution have made them untenable. But now Jackson is pushing hard for 48fps as the new gold standard. Is there no turning back? Will this be the future of cinema? It's difficult to tell. When Avatar came out, 3D was the coming thing, 2D was yesterdaysville. And yet the business has been relying on DVD sales, downloads and home entertainment. Can Avatar and the new 3D generation play as well on TV and computer screens? Last month there were worrying signs that even on the big screen, 3D hasn't cured all ills. Ticket sales are down. 3D flops such as Mars Needs Moms haven't helped. And people are still stubbornly unhappy about the dimming effect created by those hi-tech new specs.

So how do we know when the game changes? When the talkies came in with The Jazz Singer, it changed in a big way. Silents were out. Many thought the same about radio when television came in: and yet radio survived and prospered. As for 48fps, Peter Jackson is almost certainly right when he says it's a cleaner, truer watch. But will the difficult economics of the movie business permit its widespread introduction? As Al Jolson might have said – we don't know nothin' yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/apr/13/peter-jackson-hobbit-cinema-director

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Nice, I didn't get to appreciate the LOTR films in the cinema so this will be a nice compensation.

Eurgh, though cue the merchandise overload everywhere!

I'm sure there'll be some screenings to coincide with the new film when they release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That was great.. looking forward to more of this!

Great to see the cast together - spotted Martin Freeman, James Nesbitt, Aidan Turner, Ian McKellan, Richard Armitage, that lad from Eastenders (??) and Andy Serkis. Aidan Turner looks REALLY different there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I look forward to more videos taunting us for the next two or three years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This is not the first I've heard of 48fps, but it's the first I've heard about Jackson pushing it. I was listening to the BBC 5Live movie show today (on podcast), which featured an interview with Wim Wenders: he's worked with 3D for the first time on Pina, and said he had trouble getting 3D movement to look good at 24fps - e.g. people appearing to have extra arms - and he wished he'd had more fps. James Cameron has been hoping for 48fps too e.g. here. He says that most digital cinema projectors out there can already do 48fps or need a minor software upgrade.

One point I saw made on another forum is that there might not need to be a fixed frame rate at all: the director & cinematographer could use that as a creative tool, and let the projector automatically vary the projection rate. For example, you could have 24fps for slow landscape shots and 60fps for fast action scenes. Or vice versa, if that's the effect that's desired.

In general: it's always a good idea to capture as much information as you can, whether in analogue or digital media, even if you know you're going to be losing some later. My DVD player and screen are a long way from IMAX quality - but when I watched The Dark Knight, I could easily tell the difference between scenes shot on IMAX and those shot on 35mm. It's relatively easy to convert 3D to 2D, or 48fps to 24fps. Going the other way - not so easy, sometime impossible to do effectively. So I'm all for going to 48fps, simply as a matter of principle.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

And STILL no sin of Elrond....where are you Mr. Weaving???

he's simply got to be in this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the more curious elements of this production is how they've had to move all the sets indoor. Visited the old Rivendell set earlier this year, which is literally just in the middle of a big public park. Obviously the new wave of LotR obsessives has kind of put a damper on their ability to do big public shoots. Check out some of the extra features on the extended editions and you'll see some locations were just hillsides in the middle of suburban Wellington! As far as I've heard Hobbiton is one of the few sets they're rebuilding in its original location.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From PJ's Facebook this morning:
    I am sad to report that Rob Kazinsky, who was cast in the role of Fili, is having to leave The Hobbit and return home, for personal reasons. Rob has been terrific to work with and his enthusiasm and infectious sense of humour will be missed by all of us. I should say that Rob's departure will not affect ongoing filming of The Hobbit, nor will it impact work done to date, as we had yet to film much of Fili's storyline. At the moment we are shooting scenes featuring Bilbo without the Dwarves, which will give us time to find a new Fili. I'll keep everyone posted with updates as they come.
    Cheers,
    Peter J

There goes "that lad from Eastenders".. hopefully won't take them too long to get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Basq wrote: »
    From PJ's Facebook this morning:

There goes "that lad from Eastenders".. hopefully won't take them too long to get a replacement.

He must be sickened to miss out on the career opportunities this role could have opened up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

More from PJ on the 48 fps topic...
    by Peter Jackson on Monday, 25 April 2011 at 23:20

The news about us filming The Hobbit at 48 frames per second generated a lot of comments. Of course, it's impossible to show you what 48 fps actually looks like outside of a movie cinema, but there were several interesting and insightful questions raised.

We will be completing a "normal" 24 frames per second version—in both digital and 35mm film prints. If we are able to get the Hobbit projected at 48 fps in selected cinemas, there will still be normal-looking 24 fps versions available in cinemas everywhere.

Converting a film shot at 48 fps down to 24 fps is not a hugely difficult process, but it requires testing to achieve the best results. Some of this involves digital processes during post-production. We are also shooting the film a slightly different way, which is a question several of you asked. Normally you shoot a movie with a 180-degree shutter angle. Changing the shutter angle affects the amount of motion blur captured during movement. Reducing the shutter angle gives you the stroby (or jerky) "Saving Private Ryan" look.

However, we're going the other way, shooting at 48 fps with a 270 degree shutter angle. This gives the 48 fps a lovely silky look, and creates a very pleasing look at 24 fps as well. In fact, our DP, Andrew Lesnie, and I prefer the look of 24 fps when it comes from a 48 fps master.

More soon ....

Cheers,
    Peter J

Posted on PJs Facebook page earlier with the subtext "An old friend came to visit me on set today..."

230064_10150238899066558_141884481557_9006674_4228111_n.jpg

This is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Stephen Fry's been cast... From Jackson's Facebook page..
    Some more HOBBIT casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I've known Stephen for several years, and we're developing a DAMBUSTERS movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he's a terrific actor and will create a very memorable Master for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I LOVED the video....will his video blogs be all posted here or can I subscribe or will they just be put on his facebook page (which I liked).

Its cool to think they are making it RIGHT NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Roar wrote: »
    Stephen Fry's been cast... From Jackson's Facebook page..

I'm really excited about this. I live in Wellington so am going to keep my eyes peeled for him over the next few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13496401
    Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch has landed a role in The Hobbit, his Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman says.

Freeman let the news slip backstage at the Bafta TV awards on Sunday, where Sherlock picked up the prize for best drama series.

Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two-part fantasy film, due out in 2012-13.

Asked about his role, Cumberbatch remained tight-lipped: "I can't say at the moment, thank you very much."

Freeman said later: "I knew I was a sort of a big mouth but I didn't realise to what extent I was a big mouth, and I've just ruined everything.

"I might not actually go back to a job - they might have just sacked me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I wonder what was going on here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5050829/Gag-order-for-Wellington-fire-crew
    Secrecy surrounding filming of The Hobbit is so tight that even a fire crew called to an explosion at Sir Peter Jackson's Wellington studio has been gagged.

The Fire Service has confirmed it has signed a confidentiality agreement with both the studio and Weta Workshop.

Although not in the habit of doing so, it made the move because of the digital film industry's value to the city.

Two people were injured yesterday in the explosion in one of the workshops at Stone Street Studios in Miramar, where extensive shooting for The Hobbit is taking place. They were taken to Wellington Hospital with minor injuries.

A spokeswoman said the explosion did not affect filming.

Kilbirnie fire station would not provide any more details about the explosion, including what might have caused it, because that would breach confidentiality agreements all crew members had signed with both the studio and Weta Workshop.

The Fire Service's operations and training director, Paul McGill, said the organisation did not usually sign confidentiality agreements.

"However, the personnel at the Kilbirnie Fire Station, like most Wellingtonians, are very conscious of the importance of the ground-breaking digital film industry to the city."

The Fire Service was comfortable with an agreement being signed on this occasion, and Mr McGill said it had led to a good working relationship between the organisation and the people at the film studios.

"It does not set any precedent for our work with other companies or organisations."

A Kilbirnie station officer, who would not be named, said the agreements were signed several months ago, before filming began.

"We went on site to familiarise ourselves with the layout of the complex and we signed that, and ... we are bound by it."

The agreement was the standard form signed by all visitors to Stone Street Studios, he said.

The agreement was unusual but the station had agreed to adhere to it because it did not stop the organisation accessing the studio in an emergency, he said.

"In an urgent situation we can take whatever action we see fit."

The Labour Department confirmed it would investigate the incident. The fire officer said the confidentiality agreement would not hamper that investigation, as Stone Street Studios had agreed to supply the department with the Fire Service's assessment of what had happened.

A publicist for The Hobbit, Ceris Price, said no other emergency services had been asked to sign confidentiality agreements.

"It's because [Kilbirnie fire station staff] come on to the lot regularly to do business."

The confidentiality clause covered "anything that's happening on the lot", she said.

Government departments and some other businesses asked visitors to sign similar agreements. "It's kind of standard practice."

- The Dominion Post

Interesting that the local fire brigade had to sign confidentiality agreements - they must be expecting lots of fires :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Orlando Bloom official signs on to play Legolas:

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

release dates and titles..

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/30/the-hobbit-films-get-release-dates/
    Break out the calendar: Peter Jackson's two “Hobbit” films now have release dates – and official titles.

The first, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will arrive in theaters on December 14, 2012, according to Variety. The second half of the two-part adaptation is called “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” and will bow a year later nearly to the date on December 13, 2013.

PJ is doing a 20 questions thing on his facebook, here's the first one regarding The White Council and Sauron in Mirkwood.

OFFICIAL QUESTION #1
    VALERIA KEMENTARI asked, "Are we going to see the White Council attacking Dol Guldor?"

This was quite a popular topic, with JOHN LIDDLE, TOBY PHILLIPS and SETH DONALD, along with many others, asking variations of this same question.

I'm not going to say just what and when, but I will confirm that both the White Council and Dol Guldur will feature in the movies. And not just in one scene either. Just how to visualise it has been a challenge, but fortunately Alan Lee and John Howe went crazy with ideas, and it should look pretty cool.

In fact to celebrate the start of these 20 questions, I'll show you an exclusive photo of the White Council planning the attack on Dol Guldur! Even if you don't want to be hit with spoilers, you should still take a look. For the first image of Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel brandishing an array of fearsome Elvish weapons, CLICK HERE!

Another question soon...

Cheers,
    Peter J

And the horrendously spoilerific photo....

whitecouncil.jpg

Titles seem like a bit of a mouthful, but I guess it was never going to be anything else than 'There and Back Again'!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Is Peter Jackson throwing weight back on? There and back again is such an apt title! :p

Seriously though, I'm glad the first film won't be released until the end of next year which shows they're willing to take considerable time honing this thing.

Hopefully we'll have some sort of teaser by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Titles seem like a bit of a mouthful, but I guess it was never going to be anything else than 'There and Back Again'!

I think They should have just went with The Hobbit and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, really.

• Advertisement

Evangeline Lilly has joined the cast. She'll be playing an elf.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/the-hobbit-casting-update/10150286515141558

Advertisement