Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From left to right: Nori, Ori and Dori.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

In the prologue of the Fellowship, the shots of the dwarves depicted them all looking very much the same with similar garb & beards.

I like this look, it will help differentiate the characters.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oin and Gloin(Gimli's dad) released today!

hobbit-oin-gloin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

PJ keeps delivering the goods this week..

.. his second production video from the set

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I meant I expected them to look like Gimli.
    Ah right. like me so. But now that Oin and Gloin have been released, and they resemble Gimli much more, which makes sense, I much rather the way their is separate clans within the dwarfs. I imagine each group of similar names will have a similar look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Fili & Kili, Irish actor Aidan Turner as Kili :

00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d3-0000-0000-000000000000_20110712161810_HBT-DWF-003550.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

no cheery yellow hats and green waistcoats in this Hobbit then :)

Bofur, Bifur and Bombur...Asterix anyone?
    the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600-000.jpg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oin and Gloin(Gimli's dad) released today!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/07/08/hobbit-oin-gloin.jpg

Just noticed, Gloin is carrying Gimli's axe fron LoTR:TTT (maybe all 3, but I watched TTT last night)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mellor wrote: »
    Just noticed, Gloin is carrying Gimli's axe fron LoTR:TTT (maybe all 3, but I watched TTT last night)

Jebus you're dead right! THink he had same axe for all 3 afaik!

I'm liking the look of the dwarfs, it's good the way they're giving each one little quirks to their looks.

• Advertisement

Dwalin and Balin should be out soon...
    Then Thorin last I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Basq wrote: »
    PJ keeps delivering the goods this week..

.. his second production video from the set

Enjoy!

Those 200 days to go t-shirts were great , plus was that a nod to Apocalypse now at the end :)

Dwalin and Balin should be out soon...

Balin-and-Dwalin.jpg

LOL less than 3 hours later - nailed it :D

The Dwarves are defo falling into the two clan types of Puck and warrior, I don't remember those descriptions in the book but wiki has it up there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Thorin is gonna look bad ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Holy crap, forget him. Should look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hm, looks like they're trying to match the tone of The Hobbit to the tone of Lord of the Rings. It might work, though it'll be a shame to lose the lightness of touch of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hm, looks like they're trying to match the tone of The Hobbit to the tone of Lord of the Rings. It might work, though it'll be a shame to lose the lightness of touch of the book.

A number of interviews with the cast suggest that it will be a lot more humourous than LOTR. I agree though, I hope they keep it light.

Otacon wrote: »
    A number of interviews with the cast suggest that it will be a lot more humourous than LOTR. I agree though, I hope they keep it light.

I'd say expect a lot of gimli style bumbling and drunkeness from a few of the dwarfs.

Remember this pic of Bilbo at his home, the dwarf sitting in the doorway doesn't look like any of the 12 currently released, which only leaves Thorin..

bit of a shame, sort of ruins the fully processed image of him

HBT-003880r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The dwarves look....odd. Not sure if it is just the way the pictures are. Didn't they all have different strange coloured beards in the book? Well it's good that they all look different to each other anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Here's a smaller one :)

497a043a49f2a34166a57e75baeb122f.jpg

Is it just me or.....

lemmy_kilmister_001_032809.jpg
    1231587985_1.jpg

By "Arwen dying" I was referring to the part in ROTK when Elrond brings Anduril to Aragorn and tells him she's dying for some obscure reason and Aragorn must become king to prevent it for some other non explained reason. If Jackson invents anything on a par with that for the Hobbit then I'll be disappointed.

She wasn't dying, she was giving up her passage to the west and by binding herself to him, cementing herself into a tragedy whereby she couldnt pass into the west to be with her people, therefore she would outlive Aragorn, her children and would be lost, which is exactly what happens in the appendices..

WHICH by the way, are ten pages buried in the back of the book and are the most beautifully written part of the whole story...ye really should read it if you haven't..it's actually moving, her story especially...lit's called 'here follows the tale of Aragorn and Arwen' or words to that effect...give it a read, it's beautiful.

Otacon wrote: »

theyt look too comedic if ye ask me..the dwarves were a deadly serious race with real grievances in their world..all we've seen of them so far look horribly slapstick..i honestly hope that isnt the case in the films...

ugh..bad klingon extra alert...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

david75 wrote: »
    theyt look too comedic if ye ask me..the dwarves were a deadly serious race with real grievances in their world..all we've seen of them so far look horribly slapstick..i honestly hope that isnt the case in the films...
    I also pictured them all having long beards. I could grow more impressive beards than a lot of them...

Liam O wrote: »
    I also pictured them all having long beards. I could grow more impressive beards than a lot of them...

You can grow more than one beard?!?!?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    You probably just assumed that, don't think the book describes them in very much detail

Advertisement