Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Liam O wrote: »
    I also pictured them all having long beards. I could grow more impressive beards than a lot of them...

They needed to make them all look unique from each to avoid confusion about who was who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

david75 wrote: »
    She wasn't dying, she was giving up her passage to the west and by binding herself to him, cementing herself into a tragedy whereby she couldnt pass into the west to be with her people, therefore she would outlive Aragorn, her children and would be lost, which is exactly what happens in the appendices..

The movie implies that she is actually physically dying unless Sauron could be defeated or some other cobblers. I'm pretty sure Elrond even says it as bluntly as that but it has been a couple of years since I've watched that particular scene as it's so awful.
    david75 wrote: »
    WHICH by the way, are ten pages buried in the back of the book and are the most beautifully written part of the whole story...ye really should read it if you haven't..it's actually moving, her story especially...lit's called 'here follows the tale of Aragorn and Arwen' or words to that effect...give it a read, it's beautiful.
    I'm sure I've read the LoTR (appendices and all) as often as any on here and am quite familiar with the fate of Arwen and Aragorn. It is the discrepencies between the book and what Jackson eventually put on screen that niggle me. For example looking at the pic of Thorin I'm not too bothered that he obiviously is not dressed as Tolkien described but why didn't they give him white hair? I'm presuming that isn't the actors natural barnet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

283036_10150245757899821_6425769820_7676011_7666164_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Large version

Although, its a bit choppy in places

...we needs more characters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

lets see the tech!

• Advertisement

lets see the tech!
    The whaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mellor wrote: »
    The whaa?

Orcish Macbooks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Basq wrote: »

Wow, great stuff, nice surprise at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Fantastic vlog, looks like an absolute blast to work on the set. Can't wait for the behind the scenes extras on the DVDs now :D

Also, from the last 5 seconds of the vlog,
    Is saruman making an appearence in the hobbit? Didn't think he was in the book...
    Then again it's been 5 years or more since i read it last...

• Advertisement

Fantastic vlog, looks like an absolute blast to work on the set. Can't wait for the behind the scenes extras on the DVDs now :D

Also, from the last 5 seconds of the vlog,
    Is saruman making an appearence in the hobbit? Didn't think he was in the book...
    Then again it's been 5 years or more since i read it last...
    He's not in the book but the White Council did attack Dol Guldur in the period the Hobbit is set. That's where Gandalf buggers off to when the dwarves and Bilbo are going through Mirkwood. Apparently Jackson is going to show that which could be cool.

He's not in the book but the White Council did attack Dol Guldur in the period the Hobbit is set. That's where Gandalf buggers off to when the dwarves and Bilbo are going through Mirkwood. Apparently Jackson is going to show that which could be cool.

Ah, that's would be awesome indeed!

You are right about the WC attacking Dol Guldur when Gandalf disappears, and PJ is showing that in the film, which is great, as it makes the story much more complete. Plus Sauron is kinda in the Hobbit, I don't think he ever appears physically, but he is mentioned, although at that time he was refered to as The Necromancer. The guy signed on to voice Smaug is also voicing The Necromancer/Sauron afaik

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah, that's would be awesome indeed!

I'm pretty stoked to see
    gandalf and saruman fighting as allies I have to say!

This supposed to be the first poster, sorry it's so small but there's bigger versions here and here

167861.JPG

that's undoubtedly Frodo in that pic..it's a hack job..but then the dwarven lettering above the Hobbit makes me wonder..

The-Hobbit.jpg?1311229756

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is he meant to be holding Sting there? His hand just appears to be out for no reason.

My gut says its a fake.
    it's a bit early, it would almost certainly come out via the same sources as the previous images.
    The font is different, Bilbo's face obscured etc

It's very well put together, but I think its all a bit generic to be official

Edit: The source for the image also lists Del Toro as involved :rolleyes:
    and after watching the production video, Bilbo's outfit it all wrong. He has a jacket not a cape. i suspect that's a LoTR image of Frodo

As for the production video, really enjoyed it. What was the story with the part where each of the 13 dwarves had a double in full costume, only about 80% the size.

As for the reveal at the end. I heard about that during the week. Derren Brown tweeted that he was off to watch
    Christopher Lee
    film some scenes. It was then removed, kinda proving it. Obviously the reason why PJ was in england and not NZ

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea yer right, looking at the bigger one thats undoubtedly Elijah Wood in that poster.

Mellor wrote: »
    You are right about the WC attacking Dol Guldur when Gandalf disappears, and PJ is showing that in the film, which is great, as it makes the story much more complete. But Sauron is kinda in the Hobbit, I don't think he ever appears physically, but he is mentioned, although at that time he was refered to as The Necromancer. The guy signed on to voice Smaug is also voicing The Necromancer/Sauron afaik
    Sauron and Saruman are two different characters ;). We were talking about the latter. Saruman isn't in the book at all and you are correct Sauron is only referred to as "The Necromancer". I wonder how they'll portray him? Will he be the big armoured dude from the intro to The Fellowship or will he be more Ringwraithy as I've always mentally pictured him? If he has a voice then presumably he is isn't just a big eyeball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sauron and Saruman are two different characters ;).
    Yes, but Saruman was a member of the White Council.

• Advertisement

Sauron and Saruman are two different characters ;). We were talking about the latter. Saruman isn't in the book at all and you are correct Sauron is only referred to as "The Necromancer". I wonder how they'll portray him? Will he be the big armoured dude from the intro to The Fellowship or will he be more Ringwraithy as I've always mentally pictured him? If he has a voice then presumably he is isn't just a big eyeball.
    LOL yeah, i got who you were talking about, was just adding a bit on about The NMer.
    When I read my post again I seen it was a bit confusing and I swapped "But" for "Plus" to clear it up a bit :D

I remember reading something the other day about his form at the time. I imagine its the latter of your two suggestions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Poster looks legit to me, but obviously intended to advertise the digital camera used. Del Toro has left the production but will still be credited as producer and screenwriter. And all of LOTR's early posters were terrible photoshop jobs as well.

the official shot of the dwarves
    HBT-DWF-007.jpg

Welcome to last week :P

It's a slightly different picture actually ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's a slightly different picture actually ;)

Well blow me down... :pac:

EDIT: Is there a smaller one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Third video diary is excellent.

Like the look of Thorin with his dark blue coat, in keeping with the book - looks like royalty, as he should do.

Haven't read The Hobbit in years so memory is hazy on this but ...
    I know Thorin bites the dust but also a fair number of the other dwarves end up dead by the end?

a few? why make them all loveable and slapstick then?

ps-the video log \2 is essential viewing btw

As mentioned its a different poster, most of the elves are the same, but thorin is different.
    And imo, he looks way better than the previous image,
    Outfit is totally different, looks right not.
    The messed up shotoshopping is gone too so he doesn't look like a klingon

For a smaller version,
    open this link, your browser should resize

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HBT-DWF-007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2011/jul/21/the-hobbit-peter-jackson-clip?INTCMP=SRCH

Read this article yesterday and I was just wondering if
    the fact that PJ is in the UK means that Christopher Lee is going to be appearing in the film? At least that's what I thought the article was hinting at!

Advertisement