Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

superquinn kilkenny

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

7 pages!!! wooooooooooo!!! D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

the on line service from Tesco is brill if you need help or confirmation send them an e.mail, no grumpy staff, enjoy shopping again make the most of it before the robbers take it all in December

Threadhead wrote: »
    I did a compare and contrast in terms of buying the exact same shopping one week in Dunnes and the next week in Superquinn, as I was concerned about price differences.

Turned out to be about 2 euro cheaper in Dunnes but I felt that I'd rather spend that 2 euro on not being in Dunnes so now I mostly shop in Superquinn when I'm in town.

Of course, Lidl blows them both out the water pricewise and there's a lot of quality foods there to so when I can, I'll head out there.

Also, Biscuit cake is a cake made of biscuits, yeah? Like carrot cake is a cake made from carrots and jaffa cakes are cakes made from jaffa.
    Ho Ho do you buy the chinese chicken? Frozen gourjons all the way from China via the UK, even I won't stoop that low, keep Lidl's will Aldi be better?

the on line service from Tesco is brill if you need help or confirmation send them an e.mail, no grumpy staff, enjoy shopping again make the most of it before the robbers take it all in December

You dont work for tesco by any chance do you???! :P

Hi, apparently the amount of chicken consumed in this country far exceeds the amount of chicken meat we can obtain from our own flocks and we actually have no alternative but to buy outside, however where you buy from should be of the same quality and hygenic standard imposed on Irish Breeders otherwise the whole thing is a great sham, and secondly we should be told the source. Apparently if a processer in the UK handles the product it can walk around with a UK code or an Irish one if applicable, like the current Bacon scam we don't have enough pigs in Ireland so where does it come from. It is my contention the shopper has the right to know where food comes from, it is then up to me to decide if I am prepared to buy it or not.
    Retail therepy is an art, enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I believe some Irish FDI companies practice "brown boxing". The product arrives from outside EU in a brown box, not for retail. It goes in one side of an IDA factory in the Brown box and comes out the other side with bells and whistles on for sale inside the EU. Government picks up tax check and spends it trying to hold up their property portfolios.

The consumer buys "Product of Ireland".

You dont work for tesco by any chance do you???! :P
    no, sorry I am a professional shopper, I believe a retailer should ensure that they employ the right staff who are able to deal with customers, if I find a staff member in any supermarket doesn't treat me with courtesey then I would probably avaoid the shop in future, the same with over charging, I have great respect for the small shop keeper but their time has really gone we have moved on and I cannot see any fun giving say 2 euro for a loaf of bread when the supermarket sells it at half the price, the same as Avonmore Milk, as far as I am concerned milk from the north is no different, sorry about the farmers, some products from alternative sources are okay but as we now live in a global economy one has to change

catbear wrote: »
    I believe some Irish FDI companies practice "brown boxing". The product arrives from outside EU in a brown box, not for retail. It goes in one side of an IDA factory in the Brown box and comes out the other side with bells and whistles on for sale inside the EU. Government picks up tax check and spends it trying to hold up their property portfolios.

exactly, but isn't it an abuse of the consumer and where ever possible we should make a stand, the Food Safety mob go on about correct labelling either do their job or get out, it has got to be a level playing field for the irish producer and consumer, I don't smoke and cannot accept it but we have legislation that has made the black market, if people insist on doing it okay, but somehow there is an inbalance between the tobacco industry and the drinks one, wonder why? However thank you for a splendid response

We may live in a global economy Foxy but few play by the same rules. Milk from Northern Ireland is hardly a great example of global price leveling. Sometimes cheap is actually substandard and sometimes people will pay more for the better product. Did you read the link I posted about the tainted milk products in China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

catbear wrote: »

Yes, for a product to be deemed Irish it has to be 'altered significantly' in its processing in the country.

This term is stupidly vague and is abused, of course, whereby meat in carcass form from Argentina or wherever is brought into the country and chopped up and packaged here as irish meat.

In response we have the 'love irish food' campaign and traceable meat offered by (among others) Superquinn.

And for the record, a lot of the meat in the German chains is actually of irish origin (I am not talking about the 99c processed sh!te that foxcover seems to enjoy- i mean chops and stuff).

Just another reason to patronise Lidl with die untermenschen.

• Advertisement

I take it foxy you will be attending the economics festival in Kilkenny next weekend. No better chance to get all your ponderings answered.

Hi, apparently the amount of chicken consumed in this country far exceeds the amount of chicken meat we can obtain from our own flocks and we actually have no alternative but to buy outside, however where you buy from should be of the same quality and hygenic standard imposed on Irish Breeders otherwise the whole thing is a great sham, and secondly we should be told the source. Apparently if a processer in the UK handles the product it can walk around with a UK code or an Irish one if applicable, like the current Bacon scam we don't have enough pigs in Ireland so where does it come from. It is my contention the shopper has the right to know where food comes from, it is then up to me to decide if I am prepared to buy it or not.
    Retail therepy is an art, enjoy it.

Actually no, we export a huge amount of chicken from this country and we import a huge amount. If the supermarket chains would make a commitment to buy it more than 2 weeks in advance then we could very easily meet the demand for chicken here. There is no way it makes sense to send chicken from china to here while also sending it from here to europe.

no, sorry I am a professional shopper, I believe a retailer should ensure that they employ the right staff who are able to deal with customers, if I find a staff member in any supermarket doesn't treat me with courtesey then I would probably avaoid the shop in future, the same with over charging, I have great respect for the small shop keeper but their time has really gone we have moved on and I cannot see any fun giving say 2 euro for a loaf of bread when the supermarket sells it at half the price, the same as Avonmore Milk, as far as I am concerned milk from the north is no different, sorry about the farmers, some products from alternative sources are okay but as we now live in a global economy one has to change

Yes but you can buy own brand supermarket milk from some of the chains, and it is from the republic. The only reason that there is northern milk in ireland at all is due to a temporarily favourable exchange rate. If half of europe can buy our milk and butter and cheese from us, surely we can buy it ourselves as well? Also, quality and hygiene restrictions in the republic are much stricter than in the north.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Yes, for a product to be deemed Irish it has to be 'altered significantly' in its processing in the country.

This term is stupidly vague and is abused, of course, whereby meat in carcass form from Argentina or wherever is brought into the country and chopped up and packaged here as irish meat.

In response we have the 'love irish food' campaign and traceable meat offered by (among others) Superquinn.

And for the record, a lot of the meat in the German chains is actually of irish origin (I am not talking about the 99c processed sh!te that foxcover seems to enjoy- i mean chops and stuff).

Just another reason to patronise Lidl with die untermenschen.

I think there has to be a certain percentage of the final value of the product added in ireland for it to be deemed irish. E.g., barrys tea is clearly not grown in ireland but has over 80% of its value added in ireland . . i.e. the bag is probably worth more than the tea!!!

Advertisement