Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

175 Skilled Independent Visa

Options
  • 16-10-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I am a 26 year old Irish Chartered Accountant, who would be interested in moving to, and gaining employment in, Australia in the next 6-18 months.

I have been looking at the 175 skilled independent visa as it seems the most flexible visa available (i.e. you can move freely into and out of Oz, you don't need a sponsor, and you can work in any industry you wish).

Has anyone here any experience in gaining this visa?

I have a few questions on this as follows:
    • How long should this application process take? should I apply immediately?
    • What is the actual cost of this process, both for the visa, and any medical tests that are required?
    • As an accountant in on the Skilled Occupation List, should this speed up my application? I know that this list has been updated from July this year
    any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. It would be great to hear from another Irish person who has applied for, and gained this Visa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You would be safer going to immi.gov.au as all the information is there and it will give you a better understanding when you go to apply.

joint 11th wrote: »

[*]How long should this application process take? should I apply immediately?

Can take between 6 months and 3 years. You have to obtain a skills assessment first and for specifically accountants I think that you have to the IELTS and get 7 across each of the 4 bands to achieve the skills assessment. (I think that this is the case even if you are a native English speaker)

More info here CPA Skills assessment for migration

Once you get your skills assessment (allow 2 months) you can then apply or the visa.

What is the actual cost of this process, both for the visa, and any medical tests that are required?

IELTS in Dublin €185
    Skills assessment $300 (€210)
    Visa is $2575 (€1800)

Medical & X-Ray are both required $280 in Australia (not sure of the price in Ireland though)

As an accountant in on the Skilled Occupation List, should this speed up my application? I know that this list has been updated from July this year

Your occupation has to be on the SOL to migrate, doesn't mean that it gives any faster priority.

I think you are confused by the CSL (Critical Skills List) that for a while give faster priorty processing if your occupation was on it, but the CSL is now dead and buried.

I hope this helps but I am sure others will add more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

great thread, i'm a 28 year old cpa in the same postition, thinking of applying for the skilled visa in the new year, have you been to oz on a working hol visa yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭joint 11th

great thread, i'm a 28 year old cpa in the same postition, thinking of applying for the skilled visa in the new year, have you been to oz on a working hol visa yet

hey

yeah i was over on the 1 year working holiday visa in 2005, really loved my time out there. Came back and got Chartered.

Not sure how best to get my foot in the door, I think it might be best if i look for a firm of Australian accountants to take me on rather than waiting up to 3 years on my visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

YE it's a tough one, if you can get a firm to sponsor you're laughing, reckon i'll go the skilled route though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

are you restricted with travel with the 176 visa?

• Advertisement

clarelad wrote: »
    are you restricted with travel with the 176 visa?

Nah you can go on holiday when ever you want. You can even visit Ireland ......how good is that?

I thought I would post this

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/migrant-skills-go-to-the-top-of-the-list/story-e6frgcjx-1225950294947

It seems there are a whole new set of hoops to jump through..... the points test for immigration is being changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

i.t support now included :)

Advertisement