Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Prince of Burma appreciation thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

UrbanSea wrote: »
    ''I can't wait to see Denman and Kauto Star's offspring''.

I'm sure he'll be first in line to send a mare to Denman! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hmmmm. Doubt he knows what a mare is.

Does he know the difference between a boy and a girl (human, of course)?

I'd be sceptical.

You're screwed, mate! You have my sympathies.

• Advertisement

Haha thanks convert :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I love horse racing :D

Nulty wrote: »
    I love horse racing :D

Never would have guessed that, Nulty! :p

Sooooooo sleepy.... And I had a pretty decent night's sleep, too! And now I've got to go and exercise my young horse who wasn't out yesterday! :( Fingers crossed I"ll still be in one piece in an hour's time!

Did you make it through the night convert?

Yep, I did. He was incredibly well behaved! Now, if only I could get the supposedly 'experienced' horses to be as quiet I'd be sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Frankie Dettori today handed 10 day ban for not riding out Blue Bunting to the finish and rightly so! Bloody had her in my €5 placepot:mad: Typical would've been a nice start to the weekend! Misses last 2 days of Royal Ascot and if i hear one person on the BBC saying he should be there instead of being banned i'll crack up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Frankie Dettori today handed 10 day ban for not riding out Blue Bunting to the finish and rightly so! Bloody had her in my €5 placepot:mad: Typical would've been a nice start to the weekend! Misses last 2 days of Royal Ascot and if i hear one person on the BBC saying he should be there instead of being banned i'll crack up:rolleyes:

I'm sure most thought Dancing rain was going to be reeled in but he still had a shocker of a ride. For a horse that would supposedly prefer the longer trip and the fact they crawled it his positioning was shocking. Nailed on for 3rd and commits the cardinal sin of dropping his hands. If it was Spencer there would be uproar so should be no different for Frankie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

10 days is bull****, they are trying to get people into racing not drive the punters away.

Any overuse of the whip, not riding out or non trying should mean they hammer the jockey with a ban.

Misses the Irish Derby meet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Granemore Hare

Did any of you see the 5.10 at listowel this afternoon?
    And do any of agree M J O'Connor should get a ban for his ride on Rebel Fitz?
    The eejit let the eventual winner get 2 flights of hurdles ahead right into the home stretch, then started riding and expected Rebel Fitz to catch the winner... he was beaten 5 lengths but with another 20-30 yards would have won... thats seriously how fast he was finishing!! I think it was as bad a ride on a horse as i've ever seen.
    The rules say as a jockey you must do everything in your power to achieve the best possible placing, Mr M J O'Connor certainly did not do this as Rebel Fitz was clearly the most superior horse in the race by a long way!!

Jockeys should be punished for riding horses in this way!

Have a look at it some of you and let me know what you think

It was a poor ride,as poor as you'll see but he wasn't a non tryer. Not sure what the rules are regarding that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Think your a bit harsh on him here. The winning jockey stole it simple as that.

How often do you see horses take big leads like that and then come to a complete stop in the last furlong. I'd be of the opinion that the winning jockey deserves a lot more praise and the MJ O'Connor slightly mis-judged it but probably rode the right race in the circumstances.

Higgins as a jockey your job is to ensure your horse gets its best possible finishing position... maybe its like you said and he took a chance on the horse in front stopping to a standstill on the run in (cos thats the only way he could have won from where he was)... but is it M J O'Connor's job to take chances like he did yesterday? Not on your nelly!! If you look at the race again you'll see that even taking into consideration that the horse in front might get tired he still did not rouse his horse in any way untill it was way too late, unforgivable.. simple as that!!! I think its a testament to the horse (Rebel Fitz) that he finished as close as he did with a numbskull jockey on top of him

People would be giving out if he ran up and tried to keep pace with the winner and he tired then

Thats fair enough. It's just not one the worst ride i have seen. Not by a long way.

He misjudged it. It was a poor ride, but calling it one of the worst rides you've ever seen and saying he should be banned just seems like an overreaction.

• Advertisement

Easily known you've never ridden in a race. Even the best jockeys get caught out sometimes. As has been pointed out, how many times does a horse go off up front, only to tire and finish well down the field? Very easy to misjudge something - if you have a look at replays of most races, focusing on horses who finish a little down the field, you can probably say that of at least one horse per race. To single out this one isn't entirely fair, unless of course, you had him backed?

I didnt want to be cheeky and ask how much he had lost!!

Ye i had him backed, not heavily but in a double with Round Tom 4.45 worc, of course you'd expect punters to be up in arms over that sort of thing, is there anything wrong with that?? A monkey would have known there was no chance of catching the leader who was as the commentator put it 'a hurdle ahead' at listowel by beginning to ride at the turn in.
    You guys are sayin that if you look back at replays of races where a leader goes off into a clear lead they usually tire and end up getting caught, and your right but the vast majority of NH races especially in ireland are run on bad ground, it was GOOD ground yesterday and was much less tiresome for the leader.. M J O'Connor should have known that.. any jockey worth his salt would have known that!! Convert i take it that your a brilliant race jockey by your comment!? Also it was a maiden and not a handicap or a race where you would have known a bit about the other runners, so why did M J O'Connor allow a horse of unknown ability get so far ahead? I can tell you why.. cos he's a muppet and not up to riding a horse of Rebel Fitz's ability

MJ O'Connor has ridden that horse in his previous 3 runs and had 2 wins and a 4th place in his previous runnings so knows his horse better than us & he was probably riding to instructions.

Mr. Skyes had run 11 times previous to yesterday so had a well established level of form. Also he had not run for 2 years priors to yesterdays race so it was very likely that he would blow up on the run.

Oh and Convert the best jockeys NEVER get it that wrong

Higgins he knew the horse better than anyone which is all the more reason why he should never have got beat and i seriously doubt that the instructions given to him were to lose the race, he was 13/8 fav in a maiden hurdle! whats the benefit in losing in such a way?

Mr Sykes was a bumper winner over 2m on GF ground, he was also thought of highly enough to be brought to cheltenham to contest a novice hurdle.. but im guessing M J O'Connor didnt kno that

Oh and Convert the best jockeys NEVER get it that wrong

Name one jockey it hass NEVER happened to over the course of their career.

Oh, and yes, I am a brilliant jockey! :cool:

Convert i'd say your about as brilliant as M J O'Connor

• Advertisement

Convert i'd say your about as brilliant as M J O'Connor

And of course, someone talking through their pocket is always a good judge of horses, riders, trainers, courses, etc. the same way that sideline players are always so much better than those actually playing in the premier league!

I'm done with this. We've give our opinion on the matter, but as it doesn't match yours we're obviously wrong! Better luck choosing a better rider next time - hopefully you'll find one that's never made a mistake during the course of their career!

Are you sure this isn't the race Granemore? :)

This is possibly the funniest race ever, the constant pats and rubbing from Soumillon make it. Other jocks should have been shot. Champion hurdle aswell ffs :)

Cheers for that Denners, that was seriously messed up.. never seen that before!!
    Btw was that M J O'Connor on no4?? ;)

Haha I love that Denners,started a thread after I saw it.

Convert are you a P2P rider?

I'm scratching my head it feels nice

It is brilliant and crazy at the same time. Just noticed that in the last 100 yards or so Christy throws his whip into the crowd :D

• Advertisement

It's amazing how soothing a good scratch can be...

Damn you anyway.... I'm starting to get itchy now :mad:

Effort of walking to the bookies. Fancy Netley Marsh in the second at Salisbury

Effort of walking to the bookies. Fancy Netley Marsh in the second at Salisbury

Aw I shouldn't have bothered. Went down and it won. Then put it all on Beckett's horse in a maiden at Salisbury and got beat. I wasted effort.

Aw I shouldn't have bothered. Went down and it won. Then put it all on Beckett's horse in a maiden at Salisbury and got beat. I wasted effort.

Had a free bet online burning a hole in my pocket so delighted :)

Did you back it Higgins?

• Advertisement

Did you back it Higgins?

Yea €2 free bet from PP. Thank you

Haha no worries.
    10 quid is better than a boot in the balls. I had a 2 euro free games bet last night.
    My lucky number is 8 in roulette. Stuck the 2 quid on 17. Any guessing what number came up?

Haha such a laugh I just had reading this

''All this talk of ****e and lapdancers reminds me of a story a mate told me.

They're on a stag in Barcelona and go into one of those live sex shows. Not lots of people there, just seems to be them and a group of british lads on a similar stag-type setup.

So they do their thing, and then one of the ladies in her altogether proclaims to the audience that it's impossible to take a **** while someone's blowing on your arsehole. And she's willing to prove it to anyone who wants a go.

So she lies down on her back and invites people up. Sure enough, one of the english lads gets up, pants down, squatting over her face. She says "Go" and starts blowing and no matter how hard he tries, nothing.
    He gives up, another guy doesn't believe it, up he goes, pants down, "Go!". Pushing and pushing, still no joy.

After 3 or 4 guys have tried it, this one huge fat bastard, sweating and panting with the effort of talking, goes up. Stands over her face, pants down, and before she even has a chance to say anything, he lets fly with the widest, smelliest spray of crap that could only be produced by 3 days of lager and curries.

The show did not go on.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭zinx

Did any of you see the 5.10 at listowel this afternoon?
    he was beaten 5 lengths but with another 20-30 yards would have won... thats seriously how fast he was finishing!!

Have a look at it some of you and let me know what you think

Just had a look at it and from what I saw Cullen used the whip once and completely eased off on Mr Sykes well before the finish line.
    No surprise that Rebel Fitz got within 5 lengths of him.

Think a stroke was pulled with that horse.

Stick on tv3 LAWL

Stick on tv3 LAWL

Ha! :D

Haha did you stick it on convert?

Yep, I did... That seemed to be the general theme of Irish TV last night!

Haha I heard that.
    Have my French listening now in a few,then a week off before my last test :D

Bonne chance avec tes examens!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement