Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sub zero temps of the winter. . . .when?

Options
  • 16-10-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to make predictions for the first sub zero temps of the winter?

We came very close in August, just 0.6 of a degree off . . .

Im going to say the night of the 24th October . . .round 5a.m.

No prizes for the winner!

P.s. defining sub zero as -0.1 or below . . .

*at a met eireann station

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Early hours of Wednesday 20th October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Only going by the 5 stations used in the IMT analysis, the first airfrost of the autumn in 2009 was on the 7th October, when -0.3c was reached at Mullingar.

In 2008, the first airfrost of the season did not occur until the 28th October, despite that particular month being particularly cool throughout. -3.0c was achieved at Casement on that date, and -1.1c at Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-0.6C was recorded at Mount Dillon Co. Roscommon on 30th Aug.
    This is one of Met Eireann's Tucson stations (Automatic Weather Station such as at Sherkin, Gurteen etc)
    I don't know if this info can be seen in print anywhere, it was mentioned on radio at the time and may be mentioned in Monthly Weather Bulletin when it comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Mothman wrote: »
    -0.6C was recorded at Mount Dillon Co. Roscommon on 30th Aug.
    This is one of Met Eireann's Tucson stations (Automatic Weather Station such as at Sherkin, Gurteen etc)
    I don't know if this info can be seen in print anywhere, it was mentioned on radio at the time and may be mentioned in Monthly Weather Bulletin when it comes out

We'll exclude that one cos i didnt know about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

had ice on the car 1 week ago and this moring. wasent frost just where the dew had frozen over night
    god knows what the temp was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I wonder will tonight see a frost? Down to 4c at both Gurteen and Dub Apt already on the 8.00pm met reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Edit: Down to 3c at both Gurteen and Dublin Apt on the 9.00pm reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

4c at Mullingar, 5c at both Ballyhaise & Claremorris. In contrast, still 11c at Mace Head!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

tonight the temps are predicted at 0 to 5c. So i think a minus may happen

Evelyn cusack predicting -1 tonight just there now, so bit of a thread fail here!!!

1.4 in tullow, 1.2 in baltinglass . .not met eireann but probably right . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool 2 Degrees in Mullingar(Met reports 2300).

• Advertisement

I couldnt actually have picked a worse date to start this thred could i???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I couldnt actually have picked a worse date to start this thred could i???!!!

Promise you'll start a 'first blizzard of the year' thread in mid December :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

-0.5c at gurteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No, you couldn't, thanks for the frost :mad:

:p

Fionagus wrote: »
    Promise you'll start a 'first blizzard of the year' thread in mid December :D

December 24th I'll start a first snow of the year thread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    -0.5c at gurteen

You sure? Met Éireann are reporting +3, DP +2 at 2300

Min wrote: »
    No, you couldn't, thanks for the frost :mad:

:p

There goes any chance of decent grass growth . . :(

Not really related, but I've just noticed that of the 22 stations reporting on the Met Eireann briefing site, all are on 1027hPa, except for three (Malin Head, Belmullet and Finner), which are on 1026hPa.

Just thought it was interesting......ok, I'll get my coat...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mullingar now at 1 Degree.(Met 0000).

Mullingar is +1°C at midnight, with a dewpoint of -0°C (ie. 0.0 to -0.4), so looks like we'll see it maybe hit zero or below.

Gurteen following on +2°C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

According to NRA table at 11.20pm Sat, coldest road temp -1.9c on Mitchelstown NE. Reporting the air temp there to be 3.5c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

0.4°C in Geashill according to irelandsweather.com, looks like it will go below at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dark_by_Dezign

Sometime in June :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mullingar bottomed out at -0.1C
    Ballyhaise +0.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I had -1.5c this morning, not as low as the 12th though when it hit -1.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

My station in the back garden hit -0.2C around 07:00 this morning. I was up at 08:00 to go for a walk in the frost. :)

The electronic thermometer by the front door only went down to 1.4C; it's amazing the difference the bit of shelter makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got down to -1.8c here last night in the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

First frost of the year here in KK. Don't know the temps but the car windscreen is frozen over this morning. Brrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Ok wife just range me and told me a car passed her with snow on it out by Malahide. Before anyon launches an attack on me and tells me not to be drinking this hour of the morning I can only say this is what she says.
    The beeb said that they were expecting snow in scotland above 300m over the coming days, Nevis Range has 14cm new snow forecast in the next 48 hours, but I didnt think we would see any here. Either it did snow or there is some evil person in the malahide area being cruel to the local kids by driving around with fake snow on his car.
    If you ban me I completly understand:D

Advertisement