Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sub zero temps of the winter. . . .when?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well. Had to de-ice the windscreen here for the first time this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

here is a pic of my front garden this morn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

dbyrne wrote: »
    Ok wife just range me and told me a car passed her with snow on it out by Malahide. Before anyon launches an attack on me and tells me not to be drinking this hour of the morning I can only say this is what she says.
    The beeb said that they were expecting snow in scotland above 300m over the coming days, Nevis Range has 14cm new snow forecast in the next 48 hours, but I didnt think we would see any here. Either it did snow or there is some evil person in the malahide area being cruel to the local kids by driving around with fake snow on his car.
    If you ban me I completly understand:D

It's probably just someone who scraped the ice off their windscreen and it gathered around the edges. You know what women are like for exaggerating...... :pac::pac: (just kidding, ok!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-.9c here this morning, everything frosty!! There was some sleet in the last shower of the day yesterday here, as it was coming onto the kitchen window as its a North facing window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Frosty frosty, this lovely crisp morning... Had to yank the car door open. Hadn't time to check what temp it fell to during the night, will do it this evening.

Interesting to see a mention of sleet above in Mayo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Early hours of Wednesday 20th October.

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Su Campu wrote: »

Interesting to see those figures. I live very close to Cork Airport and had thick ice on the car this morning. The 3.2c figure accordingly is hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Grass frost can still occur despite air temps being slightly above 0c by a few degrees. Car surface being metal will loose its heat even faster than grass, so ice can form on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo minimum was 2.0c (lowest of the season here so far) just like Finner but think -9c in SE Mayo is a bit off :D

I am sure the Mayo figure is -0.9c, not -9.0c. You must have missed the "."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    here is a pic of my front garden this morn

Don't want to alarm you Wolfe but there appears to be a giant leaf like creature in your garden !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

frost is making a pure mess of my cannabis plants irish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Here is a link to the cairngorm ski resort in Scotland. Looking nicely wintery there now alright.
    Though it is at 1097m, so a bit higher than any mountain here.

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/webcam/ptarmiganCamLarge.html
    You might need to try refreshing this link since its a webcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

First frost in wexford town this morning was fffffrreeezin bringin the young fella to creche bout' 8. The woman said it was like it was after snowing with the frost about 6.

Bring on the winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

pauldry wrote: »
    Sligo minimum was 2.0c (lowest of the season here so far) just like Finner but think -9c in SE Mayo is a bit off :D

- . 9c (just above -1c)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

First frost of the year here in KK. Don't know the temps but the car windscreen is frozen over this morning. Brrr.

It was the third frost in kk!!! maybe you weren't up early enough for the last two :P

Frost less likely in the west and midlands as a vail of cloud has pushed over...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The frost seemed quite late to Lucan. I left for work at 03.30 and it was 3c and no frost but by 07.00 the wife said the garden was white and nearer 0c!

Same here Lord Lucan, in fact, the air temp stayed above freezing until after sunrise! :D

See here... http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2

Note how the wind scuppers temperature drops throughout last night (scroll down the page) and only a lengthy calm spell allows the drop... keep in mind that the wind data is 10 metre above ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

snaps wrote: »
    - . 9c (just above -1c)

Excuse me for the error my eyes were frozen:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Danno wrote: »
    Same here Lord Lucan, in fact, the air temp stayed above freezing until after sunrise! :D

See here... http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=ICOLAOIS2

Note how the wind scuppers temperature drops throughout last night (scroll down the page) and only a lengthy calm spell allows the drop... keep in mind that the wind data is 10 metre above ground now.

I am so glad that you mentioned this! I noticed the same thing but as the weather station is new and I am only learning about weather I had thought there might be a user problem :D

Phew! now I can go home and talk knowledgeably about how the wind factors in..... what what.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Phanthom 105.2 are gonna be talking about the chances of a white christmas in the next while!

Probably a certain donegal postman will be involved!

Gurteen and Casement got down to -1.8 and -1.7C by 7am this morning, respectively. I would expect them to have dipped a little further since then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

lovely frost here last night..

see pic,

I got -1.8C at 08:48 this morning, with a very thick layer of hoar frost. Reminded me of last winter....

-1.0c on the screen here last night... the third air frost of the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

was -2.3 last night must have been during the early morning as was up till 4! I recon will fall below that tonight :) am at 255m above sea level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-4 forecast in october!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

3.8 o C here at the mo in North Dublin , I'll say it could get to minus value 2nite :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

0c at Oak Park, Mullingar, Ballyhaise & Dublin Apt on the 11pm met reports:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

1c at Claremorris, Casement and Gurteen.

0.8c here in in the middle of Tuam with stunning and magical moonlight.

Advertisement