Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do MMA fans like professional wrestling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd probably watch it if they got rid of the wrestling and just made it some kind of weird drama about dudes who take steroids. :)

Have you seen 'The Wrestler'?.

Its seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen, its some story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Have you seen 'The Wrestler'?.

Its seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen, its some story.

Yeah it's great, and I couldn't help but think a lot of the older wrestlers live a life similar to his...

Yeah it's great, and I couldn't help but think a lot of the older wrestlers live a life similar to his...

Its not only wrestlers, but yea I'd agree with you.

Personally for me this movie really touched a nerve and reflected where I was in life at its release.

Some amazing scenes in it, I thought it was pretty accurate - then the locker room scene, and I thought - 'wow, they've nailed the life style'. And that sealed it for me.. Its an amazing movie..

Oh back to the thread - I still don't like P.W. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

shampon wrote: »
    Do you even watch MMA??

Yeah I have actually. It's just not as entertaining to me as watch a karate tournement.
    Not poking fun at you, but the images that post gives me is hilarious. Very funny post :pac:

I'm glad. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I used to love PW as a kid, couldn't get enough of it. Stopped watching it then when it moved to Sky Sports 3 as I only had 1+2, so I couldn't watch it.

This would have been about 3rd class I'd say. I watched it a good bit then in 1st Year but I wasn't half as into it as I used to be, like others have said, it was a male-orientated soap with some action in it. Couldn't be arsed with it anymore, it's been overtaken by boxing and MMA.

I went to 2 live shows and they were both class, one had the steel cage and shtuff, it was fairly unbelievable to see that as a 9 year old. They weren't WWE/F, can't remember what promotion it was. Most of the wrestlers were Irish and a few Brits thrown in as the baddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I like Pro Wrestling when it’s done by people who can actually wrestle. Pretty much all wrestlers before 1990 or so had pretty decent wrestling pedigree from college or catch. I used to love WWF as a kid...two of my favourite wrestlers to watch were Bret Hard and Mr Perfect (Curt Henning). Mainly because their matches were 'proper' pro wrestling-they could make a match interesting by trying to build up a 'story' with techniques and reversals etc.

I still watch a few of their old matches on the tube when I get a bit nostalgic, and their still pretty entertaining. They used quite a few genuine holds, just slightly adapted so the kiddies wouldn’t pick up on them properly. And yes, quite a few of the holds and throws do cross over to MMA-even the peoples elbow :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzk66VwinCc

For me a really good Pro Wrestling match is essentially a Catch Wrestling exhibition match with bells and whistle added on. Kinda like watching Fedor and Aoki's grappling exhibition. You know who the winner is going to be but it can be entertaining to see the techniques on display none the less.

From about the mid 90's on Pro Wrestling (especially the WWE) started becoming more and more about characters and...well this South Park episode pretty much sums it up-

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2408985

From a competitive standpoint, there’s no point comparing Pro Wrestling and MMA, cause, well, yaknow Pro Wrestling is scripted. Sure, the pro wrestling guys get hurt etc but it’s usually down to mistakes they make taking bumps (falling) as opposed to anything malicious on the part of their opponent. I do believe pro wrestling as a career would be a lot harder on the mind and body, but at the end of the day that’s hardly a selling point for anyone that’s looking at it from a genuine sporting perspective to watch it.

I think this is the reason most adults in the 20-30 demographic switched from watching WWE to UFC a few years ago-at the end of the day the UFC is real fighting where the guys are actually aiming to hurt each other...ironically enough, much the way Pro Wrestling started out in the first place in the 1920's.

I've posted in other threads about the links between Pro Wrestling and MMA, I’m not going to get into that again for fear of giving Cowzer an aneurysm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

yaknow Pro Wrestling is scripted

Not when brock lesner is in the ring, broken necks all round :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Velasquez had better watch out for this

Pro wrestling is brill because you can find hundreds of crazy clips on youtube, type wwe accidents into youtube =pure gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

You never saw the documentary Red Trousers.
    Basically it's about martial arts movies in China; where the "stuntment" get the Hell knocked out of them just for "entertainment".

I genuinely have no idea why you're telling me about this or what connection that has to my previous post :confused:.

I'd feel safer with a guy that's used to picking up people and throwing them for a living

LMAO, unintentional comedy at it's best!

MMA is just entertainment to me TBH. It's not the same as a bout of judo

Plenty of Judo used in MMA! Alot of people like to call it BJJ but we all really know it's just repackaged Judo Newaza ;)

• Advertisement

Plenty of Judo used in MMA! Alot of people like to call it BJJ but we all really know it's just repackaged Judo Newaza ;)

Are ya listening Cowzer?.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

TBH this thread is going to be basically a Pro Wrestling bashing thread. I like MMA but I prefer Pro-Wrestling.

A ****load of MMA fans wouldn't have gotten into MMA if it wasn't for Brock. In a sport where you experience the narrow-minded people calling it human-cockfighting I would hope that some MMA fans would at least treat it with more respect. They don't have to like it but to understand that it isn't a soap-opera. It's a physical art where people can get badly hurt.
    Pretty sure mma was a billion dollar business before brock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

MMA fighters get little to no breaks and what they do is real?
    i like both but this is rubbish. Some mma fighters take 6 months to prepare for 15 min fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

smilerf wrote: »
    i like both but this is rubbish. Some mma fighters take 6 months to prepare for 15 min fight

Yep that's right, they sit around doing nothing between fights :rolleyes:.

On topic, no I don't like Pro Wrestling, I used to when I was a kid but not now. Terrible acting, terrible storylines, some have 50/60 year old men hobbling around the ring, probably on the verge of a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

cowzerp wrote: »
    Acting the bollox?! i don't know but it's definitely amusing when ya see grown men getting all excited about who wins in these matches! fair play to the lads doing it getting paid big money for doing there job and I'd do it if paid enough to do it, comparing it to MMA is funny too...

And earlier someone said its not soap opera, it most certainly is.

It would be very easy (and narrow minded) for me to sit here and pick away at the sport of MMA in the manner you are doing so with Professional Wrestling. You are giving it no credit whatsoever, despite have a lorry load of fact thrown at you by Fozzy.

At the end of the day, WWE is there to entertain you. Fighters are there to win, and we all know how painful that can be to watch sometimes.

As for the grown men getting all excited about winning - seriously, its 2010

Yea they're honest, and its great that your entertained by it. But me personally, I don't like it. But I don't particularly like the UFC either, I'm a fussy bastard - and a little cranky sometimes too :P

Do I lose any sleep over it?.. No, I couldn't give a toss.

Although I did love the movie 'The Wrestler, probably my favourite movie ever.

Seen some kinda tag-match womens P.W. thing on TV during the week. Watched it in the hope of some nipple slip or maybe catching some snatch, after about two minutes it wasn't happening so I switched stations.

Oh, sh*t I was forgetting - I brought my son to see the WWF (I think it was back then) in The Point Depot and I'd a fantastic night, probably ranks up there with the night I brought him to see The Power Rangers.

Ya thats grand, its not everyones cup of tea. I just dont like when people make fun of it, and do so in such an ignorant manner.

You wont be getting many nip slips in this PG era im afraid. But shur thats what tinternet is for :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Gerard.C wrote: »
    It would be very easy (and narrow minded) for me to sit here and pick away at the sport of MMA in the manner you are doing so with Professional Wrestling. You are giving it no credit whatsoever, despite have a lorry load of fact thrown at you by Fozzy.

At the end of the day, WWE is there to entertain you. Fighters are there to win, and we all know how painful that can be to watch sometimes.

As for the grown men getting all excited about winning - seriously, its 2010

Why do PW fans feel the need for everyone to appreciate it, it is boring for me to watch a pre determined fight, which then is not a fight!

I simply don't understand adults watching it but don't care if they choose to do so, i do understand kids watching it as i was that soldier-what credit do you want me to give a genre that i simply don't enjoy.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Why do PW fans feel the need for everyone to appreciate it, it is boring for me to watch a pre determined fight, which then is not a fight!

I simply don't understand adults watching it but don't care if they choose to do so, i do understand kids watching it as i was that soldier-what credit do you want me to give a genre that i simply don't enjoy.

Well because it was brought up here for discussion I suppose.

Have you ever seen Die Hard? Or Rocky, or the Godfather, or Goodfellas, or The Field or any of them. They're pre determined too. They're also fairly entertianing

Well because it was brought up here for discussion I suppose.

Have you ever seen Die Hard? Or Rocky, or the Godfather, or Goodfellas, or The Field or any of them. They're pre determined too. They're also fairly entertianing

But there films and you don't boo Rocky and scream for him to hit people with chairs etc, i just don't get it-why do you think everyone should get it, i love Boxing but plenty don't, no skin off my nose.

But there films and you don't boo Rocky and scream for him to hit people with chairs etc, i just don't get it-why do you think everyone should get it, i love Boxing but plenty don't, no skin off my nose.

scream for him to hit people with chairs is such a stereotype and a generalisation. The idea of wrestling is for it to be ENTERTAINING, it is pure escapism for 2 hours. The boom of MMA, )which in part can be credited to wrestling, lets be honest) has led to a slight hint of snobbery in the way some people now talk about wrestling - like they are above being entertained by a storyline leading to an athletic encounter.

Why do I think everyone should get it? Isnt that the debate here? Or am I mistaken on the purpose of a discussion board?

scream for him to hit people with chairs is such a stereotype and a generalisation. The idea of wrestling is for it to be ENTERTAINING, it is pure escapism for 2 hours. The boom of MMA, )which in part can be credited to wrestling, lets be honest) has led to a slight hint of snobbery in the way some people now talk about wrestling - like they are above being entertained by a storyline leading to an athletic encounter.

Why do I think everyone should get it? Isnt that the debate here? Or am I mistaken on the purpose of a discussion board?

I lost interest at about 11, well before i knew what MMA was, it does not entertain me anyway and i don't get it so to answer this MMA fans opinion -no i don't like it and think it's funny at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

My sons (all under 8) are into TNA and WWE,John Cena is their GOD lol,But I have to admit I'm not into it at all now,but if this was to come back on with the old cast the UFC would be down 1 fan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did you just compare the standard of acting in The Godfather or Goodfellas to the cheesefest that is the WWE??? :eek:

I stopped watching PW years ago because to me (sorry but my opinion) it is just plain silly. It was only ever entertaining to me when I was young enough to believe the fighting was real and I didn't appreciate how bloody stupid the acting/storylines were.

To me grown men watching wrestling is like a grown woman playing with a Barbie.

I can appreciate the skill and toughness of these guys and give credit for the abuse they take, still doesn't change the fact that I think their product is comical. I can appreciate the skills as entertainers that the crew from Lazytown have, doesn't mean I watch the show! (except when my nephew makes me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Wrestling is a soap opera aimed at children and teenagers.

The only adults that watch wrestling, watch it because they got into it when they were younger and are either immersed in te storyline or have been following it on and off since.

I used to watch the wwf, back when stone cold would beat up 50 people by
    Himself and may young agve birth to a hand. That was cool then, still kind of cool now. But there is no way a grown man would buy it as Entertainment without having an emotional investment with the story and characters since they were younger.

Mma however is a sport, like football or basketball, any rivalries, grudges etc are real and personalities (while they may be marketed well) are real too. The entertainment is different.

It's like comparing the world cup final with that episode of the renford rejects where Bruno digradi finds out he's not Italian and becomes boring Barry grade.

Chris89 wrote: »
    Wrestling is a soap opera aimed at children and teenagers.

The only adults that watch wrestling, watch it because they got into it when they were younger and are either immersed in te storyline or have been following it on and off since.

I used to watch the wwf, back when stone cold would beat up 50 people by
    Himself and may young agve birth to a hand. That was cool then, still kind of cool now. But there is no way a grown man would buy it as Entertainment without having an emotional investment with the story and characters since they were younger.

Mma however is a sport, like football or basketball, any rivalries, grudges etc are real and personalities (while they may be marketed well) are real too. The entertainment is different.

It's like comparing the world cup final with that episode of the renford rejects where Bruno digradi finds out he's not Italian and becomes boring Barry grade.

Lost me here, MMA is becoming more and more like the cheesefest, as it has been called, that is the WWE. WWE wrestlers are supposed to be OTT and all that. MMA fighters are supposed to be fighters, but they are now all starting to realise that they need that element of entertainment to get to the next level.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Did you just compare the standard of acting in The Godfather or Goodfellas to the cheesefest that is the WWE??? :eek:

I stopped watching PW years ago because to me (sorry but my opinion) it is just plain silly. It was only ever entertaining to me when I was young enough to believe the fighting was real and I didn't appreciate how bloody stupid the acting/storylines were.

I can appreciate the skill and toughness of these guys and give credit for the abuse they take, still doesn't change the fact that I think their product is comical. I can appreciate the skills as entertainers that the crew from Lazytown have, doesn't mean I watch the show! (except when my nephew makes me).

I bet WWE has made so much more money than those films, even with its silly acting.

Your barbie comment makes you looks insecure as they are in no way they same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't want to speak for Gerard, but I can take up his point. cowzerp is saying that he doesn't get how grown men can be entertained by something that is predetermined. Those films are all predetermined. I'd like to ignore WWE in what I'm saying about pro wrestling because I'm not much of a fan of their current product. The stuff that does interest me these days is mainly in Japan. There's no "cheesy acting" to be seen there

Some of my favourite pro wrestling took place in the UWFi in Japan in the early '90s. That had more of a "pure sports build" than the UFC does. Many of the pro wrestlers in that promotion went on to be successful in MMA. PRIDE was built around two of them and wouldn't have gotten very far if it weren't for the base that the UWFi gave them. Someone mentioned the Fedor/Aoki exhibition match earlier, basically a pro wrestling match, they weren't out to hurt each other and the result was predetermined. We all knew what the outcome would be but it was still fairly entertaining for what it was. What the UWFi did was pretty much the same thing, but a lot more believable and a lot more dramatic. If you can understand how someone would find that exhibition fight entertaining then you should easily understand how someone would find the same idea ramped up a hundred times entertaining

I could post a ton of clips from Youtube but if you have an open mind about it you can just take a look for yourself. Look for guys like Tamura, Sakuraba, Funaki, Shamrock, Suzuki and Takada

Lost me here, MMA is becoming more and more like the cheesefest, as it has been called, that is the WWE. WWE wrestlers are supposed to be OTT and all that. MMA fighters are supposed to be fighters, but they are now all starting to realise that they need that element of entertainment to get to the next level.

Bollocks.

Wrestling is a soap operaaimed at children and teenagers.

No matter what I say, everyone seems to believe that pro wrestling starts and ends with current WWE :pac: Even then, WWE's main demographic is the very same, and slightly older, than UFC's

Do you honestly believe that? All grudges are real? All personalities are real? Case number one: Chael Sonnen. If you really think that he was just being himself and speaking his true feelings this year then you've got to be fairly naive. Everything he said was designed to get a reaction. He was working people. He spoke to Roddy Piper to get advice on what to say. He even tried out to be a pro wrestler himself! He knows what works in MMA and it's the very same as what works in pro wrestling. He said things the same way that John Cena says stuff on Raw

What about when guys spend months talking about how they hate each other, have no respect for each other, etc, and then as soon as the fight is over and the money has been made they hug and say that it wasn't personal. Matt Serra and Matt Hughes for example. People buy into their hatred and as soon as they've got your money that hatred disappears

Then there's an example like Lesnar and Mir. They say they hate each other, they fight, and they clearly still hate each other. A little ironic, no? The pro wrestler is the one whose feud is actually real?

Just by the way, I'm not against guys paying each other some respect after a fight. I understand what it is, but if I really did buy into two guys hating each other and they look like best buddies afterwards then I'd imagine that I'd be a little pissed off for allowing them to trick me like that

Do mma fans like football?
    Do mma fans like tennis?
    Do mma fans like cheese?
    Do mma fans like John and Edward?
    Do mma fans like the occasional west coast cooler with the girls?

Who knows

Do mma fans like cheese?

PW fans seem to enjoy it anyway.:pac:

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    No matter what I say, everyone seems to believe that pro wrestling starts and ends with current WWE :pac: Even then, WWE's main demographic is the very same, and slightly older, than UFC's

Do you honestly believe that? All grudges are real? All personalities are real? Case number one: Chael Sonnen. If you really think that he was just being himself and speaking his true feelings this year then you've got to be fairly naive. Everything he said was designed to get a reaction. He was working people. He spoke to Roddy Piper to get advice on what to say. He even tried out to be a pro wrestler himself! He knows what works in MMA and it's the very same as what works in pro wrestling. He said things the same way that John Cena says stuff on Raw

What about when guys spend months talking about how they hate each other, have no respect for each other, etc, and then as soon as the fight is over and the money has been made they hug and say that it wasn't personal. Matt Serra and Matt Hughes for example. People buy into their hatred and as soon as they've got your money that hatred disappears

Then there's an example like Lesnar and Mir. They say they hate each other, they fight, and they clearly still hate each other. A little ironic, no? The pro wrestler is the one whose feud is actually real?

Just by the way, I'm not against guys paying each other some respect after a fight. I understand what it is, but if I really did buy into two guys hating each other and they look like best buddies afterwards then I'd imagine that I'd be a little pissed off for allowing them to trick me like that

Chael is an outspoken guy. No I didn't believe what he said, but that's not the point.

What is ironic about still hating someone after you fight them?

What is ironic about still hating someone after you fight them?

Because the fake fighter was in a real feud while many of the real fighters are in fake feuds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Are people saying that MMA fighters are now trying to sell their fights more and playing up to the fans and this is like what happens in pro wrestling.

I'd say it's closer to how boxers build fights.

Fozzy wrote: »
    Because the fake fighter was in a real feud while many of the real fighters are in fake feuds

But he's not a fake fighter anymore, so your argument is pretty pointless.

Man, I wish I'd thought of that one!.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Fromvert wrote: »
    Are people saying that MMA fighters are now trying to sell their fights more and playing up to the fans and this is like what happens in pro wrestling.

I'd say it's closer to how boxers build fights.

Spot on.

Bollocks.

Ever hear of Chael Sonnen or Tito Ortiz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I fear this shall be another thread that will take quite a long time to die :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I think there is a fundamental point here that people like Cowzerp are missing or are too ignorant to comprehend. Adults do not watch Pro-Wrestling for the same reasons that kids watch it, or for the same reasons they used to watch when they themselves were kids.

I think Cowzerp et al have a picture of grown men cheering on their heros, against hated bad guys, being devastated when their heroes lose, being aggrieved at injustices and, basically, still acting as if they were ten years old in front of the television.

Adults who watch Pro-Wrestling watch it for reasons such as to admire the athletic ability of the participants, to judge their ability to put on a good match, to see of a talented athlete can make another not so talented athlete look like a million dollars by "carrying" them through a match, or series of matches. To admire their ability to sell themselves or the feud they are in, by way of live promos and realistic and believable actions.

They watch it to see the creative direction the promotion is going, to try and second guess who the next star will be or what storylines will achieve their objective and which wont.

Let me sum it up with this anology. An ignorant mind would see modern animated movies such as the Toy Story trilogy, Up, The Incredibles, Fantastic Mr.Fox and the likes as being purely for children. However, anyone who has seen these movies and has an open mind will see that they are very much aimed at adults too and contain a lot of content that would go over the heads of the kids and could only be appreciated by adults. Such is Pro-Wrestling.

Or maybe an adult watching and enjoying Toy Story 3 is like a grown woman playing with a Barbie doll?

• Advertisement

All of this is fair enough but it's not a sport.

They can be as athletic as they want but it's still not a sport.

Their physical capabilities are indeed amazing, but it's still a script and theyre still just actors, albeit very athletic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

All of this is fair enough but it's not a sport.

They can be as athletic as they want but it's still not a sport.

Their physical capabilities are indeed amazing, but it's still a script and theyre still just actors, albeit very athletic ones.

the rock says know your role and shut your god damn mouth you jabroni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Do mma fans like football?
    Do mma fans like tennis?
    Do mma fans like cheese?
    Do mma fans like John and Edward?
    Do mma fans like the occasional west coast cooler with the girls?

Who knows

Exactly, can't understand the relevance of this to MMA, some people will like wrestling while others won't, its more to do with personal taste than in relation to MMA followers imo.

seadnamac wrote: »
    I think there is a fundamental point here that people like Cowzerp are missing or are too ignorant to comprehend. Adults do not watch Pro-Wrestling for the same reasons that kids watch it, or for the same reasons they used to watch when they themselves were kids.
    I think Cowzerp et al have a picture of grown men cheering on their heros, against hated bad guys, being devastated when their heroes lose, being aggrieved at injustices and, basically, still acting as if they were ten years old in front of the television.

Adults who watch Pro-Wrestling watch it for reasons such as to admire the athletic ability of the participants, to judge their ability to put on a good match, to see of a talented athlete can make another not so talented athlete look like a million dollars by "carrying" them through a match, or series of matches. To admire their ability to sell themselves or the feud they are in, by way of live promos and realistic and believable actions.

They watch it to see the creative direction the promotion is going, to try and second guess who the next star will be or what storylines will achieve their objective and which wont.

Let me sum it up with this anology. An ignorant mind would see modern animated movies such as the Toy Story trilogy, Up, The Incredibles, Fantastic Mr.Fox and the likes as being purely for children. However, anyone who has seen these movies and has an open mind will see that they are very much aimed at adults too and contain a lot of content that would go over the heads of the kids and could only be appreciated by adults. Such is Pro-Wrestling.

Or maybe an adult watching and enjoying Toy Story 3 is like a grown woman playing with a Barbie doll?

The part in bold in particular is very well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

The part in bold in particular is very well said.
    Why?
    Because you agree with it?

Why?
    Because you agree with it?

Because its true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

seadnamac wrote: »

Well said.

Some guys won't get what you are saying simply because they don't want to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Well I have to say, the last 7 pages have made me smile. And I also have to add that I am impressed by how a lot of the posters here have been patient with this pro pro-wrestling brigade. I'm sorry but I'm not that patient.

Pro wrestling is a joke. Its not real therefore it deserves no credibility as an entity or as a sport. Yes the performers are serious athletes as they have trained themselves to be fine human specimins, but that is as far as it goes.

I watched WWF when I was a kid. I stopped watching it when I realised it was fake and that took any excitement out of it. I was always interested in boxing and then later on in life I found K-1 and Pride and then ultimately the UFC. Why? Beacuse its real combat sport. It hold the excitement of the unexpected which keeps you on the edge of your seat. Anything can happen. How anyone is trying to compare 2 dudes dancing around a ring ducking under "clothes line" with 2 fighters putting it all out on the line is purely beyond me!

I'm 29 and I don't know a single one of my mates that still watches pro-wrestling. They probably wouldn't dare admit it because its laughable. I imagine your typical 30yr old pro wrestling fans to be complete recluses, obsessed with the interenet and probably into Warcraft or whatever its called where you paint little figures. How anyone can be a genuine fan of mma and also be an avid watcher of pro-wrestling is the most puzzling thought that will stay with me today......

golfman wrote: »
    Well I have to say, the last 7 pages have made me smile. And I also have to add that I am impressed by how a lot of the posters here have been patient with this pro pro-wrestling brigade. I'm sorry but I'm not that patient.

Pro wrestling is a joke. Its not real therefore it deserves no credibility as an entity or as a sport. Yes the performers are serious athletes as they have trained themselves to be fine human specimins, but that is as far as it goes.

I watched WWF when I was a kid. I stopped watching it when I realised it was fake and that took any excitement out of it. I was always interested in boxing and then later on in life I found K-1 and Pride and then ultimately the UFC. Why? Beacuse its real combat sport. It hold the excitement of the unexpected which keeps you on the edge of your seat. Anything can happen. How anyone is trying to compare 2 dudes dancing around a ring ducking under "clothes line" with 2 fighters putting it all out on the line is purely beyond me!

I'm 29 and I don't know a single one of my mates that still watches pro-wrestling. They probably wouldn't dare admit it because its laughable. I imagine your typical 30yr old pro wrestling fans to be complete recluses, obsessed with the interenet and probably into Warcraft or whatever its called where you paint little figures. How anyone can be a genuine fan of mma and also be an avid watcher of pro-wrestling is the most puzzling thought that will stay with me today......

Maybe some people have open minds about what they watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

golfman wrote: »
    How anyone can be a genuine fan of mma and also be an avid watcher of pro-wrestling is the most puzzling thought that will stay with me today......

What a ridiculous statement. They don't have to be in anyway linked for somebody to like them both.
    As a poster said they are like chalk and cheese but some people like chalk and also like cheese ;)
    We might as well be wondering how the hell anyone can watch coronation street then watch MMA.
    I personally cannot understand how anybody can enjoy eating chow mein and then turn around and watch MMA. Its crazy, they are nothing alike :rolleyes:

My brother watched "take me out" on friday night, then watched the UFC on saturday night, the sick freak.

I can only apologise to the MMA fans who are offended by his actions....

this thread makes no sense.

My brother watched "take me out" on friday night, then watched the UFC on saturday night, the sick freak.

Take Me Out is a good program, tbf.:P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement