Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do MMA fans like professional wrestling.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

What a ridiculous statement. They don't have to be in anyway linked for somebody to like them both.
    As a poster said they are like chalk and cheese but some people like chalk and also like cheese ;)
    We might as well be wondering how the hell anyone can watch coronation street then watch MMA.
    I personally cannot understand how anybody can enjoy eating chow mein and then turn around and watch MMA. Its crazy, they are nothing alike :rolleyes:

My brother watched "take me out" on friday night, then watched the UFC on saturday night, the sick freak.

I can only apologise to the MMA fans who are offended by his actions....

this thread makes no sense.

But they're not chalk and cheese. One is 2 men fighting. The other is 2 men pretending to fight, and doing it badly. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

this thread makes no sense.

TBH it does'nt really but while it remains civil and active then it can carry on-it is strangely interesting in saying that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

cowzerp wrote: »
    it is strangely interesting in saying that.

It is, a bit like watching a sheep fighting a cat. Should never happen but your gonna watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

was a hulkamaniac when i was a kid
    QUOTE]

I was more a big daddy and rollerballrocco fan myself.

But thats probably showing my age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's pretty obvious alot of American MMA fans came straight from Pro Wrestling (Lesner and Shamrock were the biggest stars of two UFC eras essentially because of Pro Wrestling) yet so many of them see absolutely no link. Baffling

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious alot of American MMA fans came straight from Pro Wrestling (Lesner and Shamrock were the biggest stars of two UFC eras essentially because of Pro Wrestling) yet so many of them see absolutely no link. Baffling

Shamrock was already an MMA legend when he went to act in the WWE, Lesnar will bring fans over but his last ppv was not overly impressive even with this.. There may be some cross over in fans due to kids growing up and wanting to see real fighting over acting out of fighting with ridiculous scenarios such as been put through tables, jumping off top ropes, hitting each other with chairs, ladders..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Shamrock was already an MMA legend when he went to act in the WWE, Lesnar will bring fans over but his last ppv was not overly impressive even with this.. There may be some cross over in fans due to kids growing up and wanting to see real fighting over acting out of fighting with ridiculous scenarios such as been put through tables, jumping off top ropes, hitting each other with chairs, ladders..

The links between Pro Wrestling and MMA are there and they are real. They have been well documented in this forum in the past in other threads that you have been a part of and touched upon in this thread by Fozzy. Yet posters like you continue to be completely ignorant of stated facts as they are presented to you and instead choose to blindly ignore them. I really don't understand how anyone can be like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He was a legend in the MMA community but his biggest fights were after his stint in the WWF and how exactly was Lesner's last PPV not impressive. I dont have the numbers but I'm guessing his Carwin fight (and the next on as well) will be 2 of the top 3 buy rates by the end of the year. The fact is the UFC's biggest star is a WWE star who crossed over. And to say there's only some is just insulting. Dana knows it, he positioned TUF around the WWE and Prid stole the pomp and cirsumstance right out of wrestling

I think it's foolish to believe that most of the UFC's new fans were not fans of the WWE when the Rock and Austin were around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Of course everyknows there are links in the past. But they're in the past!

Nowadays they are 2 separate things entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

The UFC heavyweight champion BROCK LESNAR is not in the past bai.

• Advertisement

golfman wrote: »
    Well I have to say, the last 7 pages have made me smile. And I also have to add that I am impressed by how a lot of the posters here have been patient with this pro pro-wrestling brigade. I'm sorry but I'm not that patient.

Pro wrestling is a joke. Its not real therefore it deserves no credibility as an entity or as a sport. Yes the performers are serious athletes as they have trained themselves to be fine human specimins, but that is as far as it goes.

I watched WWF when I was a kid. I stopped watching it when I realised it was fake and that took any excitement out of it. I was always interested in boxing and then later on in life I found K-1 and Pride and then ultimately the UFC. Why? Beacuse its real combat sport. It hold the excitement of the unexpected which keeps you on the edge of your seat. Anything can happen. How anyone is trying to compare 2 dudes dancing around a ring ducking under "clothes line" with 2 fighters putting it all out on the line is purely beyond me!

I'm 29 and I don't know a single one of my mates that still watches pro-wrestling. They probably wouldn't dare admit it because its laughable. I imagine your typical 30yr old pro wrestling fans to be complete recluses, obsessed with the interenet and probably into Warcraft or whatever its called where you paint little figures. How anyone can be a genuine fan of mma and also be an avid watcher of pro-wrestling is the most puzzling thought that will stay with me today......

Perhaps you should read this before you mouth off again

6095023851.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

MMA is pro-wrestling essentially, no matter what the hardcores will tell you. They are inextricably linked. Dana White is no Vince McMahon either, lets be brutally frank.

UFC would be a pretty boring and sterile environment if it hadn't picked up its best tricks from the wacky world of professional wrestling. The best MMA fighter in the world cut his teeth in PW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You guys would have missed out on some great fights if not for pro 'rasslin. The snobbery of some MMA fans here is amazing.

It's like all the people who rang up Liveline to complain about "human cock-fighting in big cages". Just throw in their 2 cents to bash it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Almost all pro wrestling fans I know are MMA fans. EVERY MMA fan I know is a pro wrestling fan. The 2 are not mutually exclusive for fúck sake.

What I hate is the outrage it causes MMA purists that pro wrestling dare exist. Pro wrestling is indeed worked. It is also extremely physical. It is also about pomp and ceremony, about larger than life characters, something whcih MMA, particularly UFC and PRIDE is/was all about also.

The coronation street comparisons piss me off something rotten though. Its not a viable argument even slightly.

Of course, I will add that I have no idea why this thread was even started as it was always going to be a trainwreck.

Pingi wrote: »
    Perhaps you should read this before you mouth off again

6095023851.jpeg

Care to elaborate what vital information I'm going to glean from this book you speak of for the purpose of this thread? I'm clearly not going to be able to buy it and read it tonight.

However, unless it states that MMA is all made up and they don't really punch eachother in the face I really don't see what valid point you're going to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Wrestling isnt real.

Mma is.

Who cares who likes both. They are not linked because of certain fighters. Brock isn't a pro wrestler any more, he is a fighter.

Mike Jordan played baseball for a season, that doesn't mean i can claim links between basketball and baseball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Wrestling isnt real.

Mma is.

Who cares who likes both. They are not linked because of certain fighters. Brock isn't a pro wrestler any more, he is a fighter.

Mike Jordan played baseball for a season, that doesn't mean i can claim links between basketball and baseball.

flahavaj wrote: »
    MMA is pro-wrestling essentially, no matter what the hardcores will tell you.

It clearly isn't.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    The best MMA fighter in the world cut his teeth in PW.

For the record, Brock Lesnar is not the best MMA fighter in the world.

And while we're on about Brock Lesnar...... he was a successful collegiate wrestler before he went to act in the pretend wrestling game where he earnt a lot of money. You see you can't really say he had a lot of success in WWF as this was pre-determined for him. Has it ever occurred to you he may have wanted to actually compete in a proper sport and do well and earn some proper respect?

I'm not argueing that someone like Brock will have brought a load of wrestling fans to watch the UFC. So what? It doesn't surprise me that someone that watches fake sport finds real MMA exciting. But that doesn't change anything for the people that were already fans of MMA before the addition of Brock. At the age of 13-14 I realised that pro-wrestling was for kids, a bit like Santa Claus really, until we find out the truth. 15yrs on, I'm not about to change my mind.

This thread is about "do MMA fans like pro-wrestling?". I think the answer is No.

Do Pro Wrestling fans like MMA? I'd say the answer is yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Chris89 wrote: »
    Wrestling isnt real.

Mma is.

Wrestling isnt real.

Mma is.

Same IP address?

Brock would have gone into MMA immediately if he didn't want to get into wrestling. He happened to be good so he gained a lot of fans and a high reputation. He then went to MMA and gained a ****load of attention. I'd have to credit wrestling as a huge part of how Brock is successful.

By gaining a big name in pro wrestling he brought a ton of new fans into MMA. Sorry that offends you guys.

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate what vital information I'm going to glean from this book you speak of for the purpose of this thread? I'm clearly not going to be able to buy it and read it tonight.

However, unless it states that MMA is all made up and they don't really punch eachother in the face I really don't see what valid point you're going to make.

Well you see you Golfman your beloved PRIDE was only meant to be a one off show to act as a vechile to push Pro Wrestler Nobuhiko Takada.

So you have Wrestling to thank for PRIDE at least just for example.

My name is Pingi and I am standing up for the WWE :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

This thread is about "do MMA fans like pro-wrestling?". I think the answer is No.

Do Pro Wrestling fans like MMA? I'd say the answer is yes

That is, in essence the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Same IP address?

Brock would have gone into MMA immediately if he didn't want to get into wrestling. He happened to be good so he gained a lot of fans and a high reputation. He then went to MMA and gained a ****load of attention. I'd have to credit wrestling as a huge part of how Brock is successful.

By gaining a big name in pro wrestling he brought a ton of new fans into MMA. Sorry that offends you guys.

Obviously wrestling is why he is so popular.

Hulk hogan is now a reality tv personality, must all reality tv concepts Credit hulk for their popularity?

Hey golfman

Which of the following statements is/are correct...

A. If Pro wrestling fans are MMA fans then some MMA fans are pro wrestling fans.

B. If some Pro wrestling fans are MMA fans then no MMA fans are Pro wrestling fans.

C. If some Pro Wrestling fans are MMA fans then ALL MMA Fans are Pro Wrestling fans.

Closed, this has officially gone to the dogs!

will open if any valid reason too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement