Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have a backup of your mobile phone book or has it only seemed like a good idea after?

• 16-10-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

Have a backup of your mobile phone book or has it only seemed like a good idea after?

Just made one today, really would be ****ed if I lost all my number, but its a story I've heard a few time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I must update mine actually-thanks for reminding me!

I used to know everyone's number off by heart before mobiles were popular, now i only know a few. If i lost all mine, i'd lose about half of them forver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I must update mine actually-thanks for reminding me!

I used to know everyone's number off by heart before mobiles were popular, now i only know a few. If i lost all mine, i'd lose about half of them forver.

Thing is, if you are losing them forever, were you ringing them or seeing them anyway?

Thing is, if you are losing them forever, were you ringing them or seeing them anyway?

Ah but it's the day after you lose a number that you then need it!:D

It's happened to me before, so now i just don't delete peoples numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

Plus I found it was nostalgic making the list, I was recalling different stages of my life over the last few years, some people on the list I will definitely never see again but still ya never know what might happen, that you'll need their number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Android FTW! My phone backs it's entire phonebook and text messages, photos etc once a day to 2 different online sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Yes, I have a back-up. A little notebook in which I write all my numbers.

Has proven valuable in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Same here I use Google's Global Tracing Database to backup my personal information.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Android FTW! My phone backs it's entire phonebook and text messages, photos etc once a day to 2 different online sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

One word...

Android

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

smartphone, back up everything to the lappy harddrive before any updates.

that reminds me, needs to back up my harddrive again, if that went i would be fcuked.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I back it up on line and update it whenever I add a new number. Useful if I leave my mobile somewhere or get a flat battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just get a blank sim card, copy your numbers and stick it in a drawer.....simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

nokia's ovi site has had a back up facility for ages. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Using Android as well so yes I have a backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Nerd....Tell me more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you have a phone that can sync with a Microsoft Exchange server - which includes all Windows Mobile devices (obviously), Apple iPhones & iPods, and others: you can use Google's Exchange service. Server is m.google.com, enable SSL, use Gmail address as username, more here. Your contacts will be available in Gmail after that, and the Calendar too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

dr ro wrote: »
    nokia's ovi site has had a back up facility for ages. Well worth it.

I always found nokia software to be a real bitch to get off my computer!! you'd nearly have to wipe the flippin os just to get rid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

How would I go about backing up my numbers.. on a pretty basic nokia 2730

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I don;t work to have a copy of ALL my private data.

Also WTF is "Google's Exchange Service"?
    m.google.com { or m.google.ie } is just the mobile server for Googles main Account Gmail, Google Documents, etc
    bnt wrote: »
    If you have a phone that can sync with a Microsoft Exchange server - which includes all Windows Mobile devices (obviously), Apple iPhones & iPods, and others: you can use Google's Exchange service. Server is m.google.com, enable SSL, use Gmail address as username, more here. Your contacts will be available in Gmail after that, and the Calendar too.

How would I go about backing up my numbers.. on a pretty basic nokia 2730

Get a pen...and a piece of paper :pac:

Did your nokia come with a cd rom?
    i have ovi suite on my computer and can back them up that way, but i was also able to do it with my old nokia before ovi was out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don;t work to have a copy of ALL my private data.

m.google.com { or m.google.ie } is just the mobile server for Googles main Account Gmail, Google Documents, etc

m.gooogle.com is the address for the exchange server.

Google Sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's called the Exchange service because it emulates a Microsoft Exchange Server. Same name, different service (server program) and connection methods (protocols, ports). You can also tell Microsoft Outlook / Entourage to connect to it, if you want. When you connect to that name with a mobile browser, you get the browser interface, which is an entirely different way of using it.

For example, on the iPhone / iPod Touch you say Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Add Account - Microsoft Exchange, and enter m.google.com as the server as I described. After you enter the details, your mail, calendar and contacts on the device are synchronised with Google's services, without you needing to use Safari at all.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had been using My Phone Explorer to backup all of my Sony Ericsson phones, also restoring backups to new phones. Now using Android, never lost a number.

Advertisement