Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Modem Issue

• 16-10-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

My parents originally got broadband from UTV a number of years ago. This included a Creative Broadband Blaster modem (8133U I think).

They then switched to BT but kept the modem.

They are now on Vodafone with the same modem and, while there were initial problems with the user ID (I think), the connection had been working fine until yesterday.

As of yesterday they have not been able to get connected. They rang Vodafone who said that there was an upgrade done and that their modem may no longer be compatible.

Can anyone tell me if that might be true?

And could anyone recommend a decent modem that will work with Vodafone that's not too expensive?

I believe there is only one main line into the house which then splits at the entry point to feed 3 phones. There is a splitter on one of these connections to the phones which the modem connects to. Not sure if that's relevant but my parents rang a shop to ask about modems and they said they'd need a more expensive model if there were splitters involved..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

My parents originally got broadband from UTV a number of years ago. This included a Creative Broadband Blaster modem (8133U I think).

They then switched to BT but kept the modem.

They are now on Vodafone with the same modem and, while there were initial problems with the user ID (I think), the connection had been working fine until yesterday.

As of yesterday they have not been able to get connected. They rang Vodafone who said that there was an upgrade done and that their modem may no longer be compatible.

Can anyone tell me if that might be true?

And could anyone recommend a decent modem that will work with Vodafone that's not too expensive?

I believe there is only one main line into the house which then splits at the entry point to feed 3 phones. There is a splitter on one of these connections to the phones which the modem connects to. Not sure if that's relevant but my parents rang a shop to ask about modems and they said they'd need a more expensive model if there were splitters involved..

Thanks

If the upgrade happened and it wasn't a fob off and they are on 7.6MB now then you will need to check if the Modem is ADSL1 and if it is then they will need to upgrade their current modem to an ADSL2+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Actually, now that you say it, the guy from Vodafone did say something about ADSL2.

I'll look into that now.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Vanbis wrote: »
    If the upgrade happened and it wasn't a fob off and they are on 7.6MB now then you will need to check if the Modem is ADSL1 and if it is then they will need to upgrade their current modem to an ADSL2+.

Sounds like this is the problem as the Broadband Blaster is only ADSL1.

Can anyone recommend a good ADSL2 modem that's not too expensive? Would be interested in a wi-fi option but it's not essential.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

nialldinho wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good ADSL2 modem that's not too expensive? Would be interested in a wi-fi option but it's not essential.

Thanks

I have a Netgear myself and never had any problems with it, not sure on the prices though.

Advertisement