Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NEW VW Transporter conversion

• 16-10-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

New to this forum but hoping some of you may be able to help me out with ideas and advice.

I've just bought a 2006 long wheel base low roof VW Transporter.

The plan is to convert it over time to a comfortable but unique campervan.

My unusual requirements are as follows:
    - I need a full van for occasionally carrying equipment
    - I want to keep my van 'Stealth' looking

In order to satisfy that my plan is to put in some removable furniture, that will bolt to the floor but will be removable in say 10 mins.

Here's the plan for the van as it stands.

http://picasaweb.google.com/107058722642440567193/Van#

Van#5528680627401194834

Van#5528680632744420082

Van#5528680634085848498

Van#5528680628274356178

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 maishyburger7

First Job is to get 2 bonded windows inserted into the van.

Anyone know of anywhere in Ireland that does this? Anyone had it done and has an idea of how much it costs and could recommend someone.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

First off it won't qualify as a camper so it will still be comerical road tax and insurance, there for why but in a sink and cooker, I'd leave the sink out and have a simple bowl....

If you make the seat nearest the back shorter but allow the side to move out to make up the bed you'll have more room to move about, that's how my came and it's worth it.

You don't have much storage for bedding / sleeping bags.... and room for a chemical toilet I'd work on that.

One lay out I've seen that is very simple and works is to box off around the wheel arches to make a seat and storage, put a cooker on oneside with a small 2kg campingaz cylinder below in the timber box, vent it to the out side.

Then to put a bench along the side at the font that could be used for storage and become a good double bed. That way you can sill get long stuff in. If you make is so the cooker can be coverd you'd still be ables to used it for work... all you have to take out is the cousions for the bed.

You'd also need to add lights, a leisure battery and a cool box. It'd be a cheap convesion to a day van / weekend camper but wouldn't qualify as a camper for road tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 spray_ball

if you haven't already check this forum out - loads of information....pics, build threads, engine stuff etc.....

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk

enjoy!...

p.s. don't blame me if you end up wanting a eberspacher:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think i've asked before, but as anyone tried to insure a conversion that doesn't meet revenue requirements for a camper?

We're still mulling over a base vehicle, but my concern on doing a T4 or T5 (or equivalent) would be the camper insurers not insuring it as it's not a camper, but the regular insurers not insuring it because of habitation side of things (especially the gas)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I have a disc somewhere for a T4 conversion. A home done but well done effort. The presses were bought in IKEA. I'll have a look when I get home from work to see if I can find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think i've asked before, but as anyone tried to insure a conversion that doesn't meet revenue requirements for a camper?

We're still mulling over a base vehicle, but my concern on doing a T4 or T5 (or equivalent) would be the camper insurers not insuring it as it's not a camper, but the regular insurers not insuring it because of habitation side of things (especially the gas)?

Well the big concern is if you get stopped by the boys in blue or customs and excise they are entitled to impound your vehicle. A way people used to get around the tax and insurance is to register it as a mobile workshop you'd need some sort of equipment onboard and you wouln't want to be caught carrying any passengers.

With all that is going on with the introduction of the €1024 personal use tax rate which is already being enforced in laois I don't think I'd start a stealth camper now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My intention would be to be compliant on the revenue side (VRT and rates). I'm not interested in "chancing it". Which is where I'm coming from regarding the insurance.

OP, found the disc, it's a fully documented home build on a T4. PM me if you want a copy of it (Adobe).

Wouldn't mind getting a look at that too, what about putting it on box.net and sending out a link

Don't know that programme. I'm old fashioned, PM me your contact details and I'll post you a copy.

• Advertisement

Advertisement