Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bottles

Options
  • 16-10-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

where do ye buy bottles, which is easier to use swing top or caps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

apart from the usual homebrew websites..
    Buying in bulk in dublin take a look here.. http://www.alpack.ie/Beer_BottlesSwing_topGrolsch_Bottles/Default.292.html

There's also clear 1L glass bottles in Ikea, and dunnes stores sell this manky lemonade in clear 750ml bottles... the only thing about clear glass is to keep the sunlight away from them so stick them in a dark box or wrap them in newspaper.. hvn't had a ny probems with them anyhow

Plastic can be a bit dodge as it's porus

Molloys off-licence recently had a special offer on a crate of Grolsch swing tops..ten for 15 euros!!

Havn't used caps before but swing tops seem to be the way to go as far as withstanding pressure..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Thats a good price from alpack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Armelodie wrote: »
    Plastic can be a bit dodge as it's porus

what about these - they claim to have some sort of voodoo built into them that keep CO2 in but lets O2 out - anyone used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

loyatemu wrote: »
    what about these - they claim to have some sort of voodoo built into them that keep CO2 in but lets O2 out - anyone used them?

Don't really understand the porosity thing. Surely if coke can stay highly pressurized inside a standard bottle, why can't beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think it's not so much a pressure thing with plastic but an issue with flavour,,, if you put a plastic bottle beside some onions the water will start to taste of onions also.. (I used to work in a chefs college in the food store)..chefs not happy=bad news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Plastic bottles can let oxygen seep in slowly, which can cause oxidation in beer. This does take a long time though, so only really matters if you are storing beer to mature in the bottle for a while. I used to bottle my homebrew in 2l plastic cider bottles and they were fine for the few weeks they spent in there (Yes, that was when I was in college. Why do you ask?).

Coopers claim that Oxbar bottles are not porous to oxygen, so you can use them for long term storage. They are probably handier to use and don't require a bottle caper, so sound like a good option.

Mind you, plastic bottles just aren't as nice as glass. Maybe your friendly local pub will let you have a rummage in their bottle bins? Promise to drop in a couple of full bottles when they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how long is "too long" to be leaving your drink in plastic? Some wine recipes I was looking at take close to a year to ferment and others recommend leaving for a further year after fermentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

i've no experience with wine but i would never leave beer for that long in a plastic bottle, even high grade fancy plastic. if you're planning on ageing for anything like that i'd buy a capper/ corker and use glass bottles.

Advertisement