Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange things your dog has eaten

Options
  • 16-10-2010 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone any stories on strange things their dogs/cats have munched and passed tru in their poo;) i have pulled full socks out of my dogs butt and knickers he would eat almost anything when i first got him but not really anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

my phone about 8 years ago good old nokia 3310 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bellx1

My one has a thing for ping pong balls - leads to some interesting poop times!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

A ten euro note:D, thankfully it wasnt a 50.

My friends dog ate her contraceptive pill, well most of the packet, lol and her husbands fake eye, no joke:eek: They managed to get it back when she vomitted it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I once owned a dog that raided a girlfriends handbag & ate a months supply of the pill. I couldn't get my Vet to stop laughing. Turned out to be no problem - it would of been far worse if he had taken one each day !

On a serious note beware of wine corks. Dogs love them & they don't show up on x rays when they block the gut. It used to be a party trick to hand the cork to someone & get them to try & guess where it had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

andreac wrote: »
    A ten euro note:D, thankfully it wasnt a 50.

My friends dog ate her contraceptive pill, well most of the packet, lol and her husbands fake eye, no joke:eek: They managed to get it back when she vomitted it back up.
    lol dont think anyone is going to top the fake eyeball thats a classic

• Advertisement

my phone about 8 years ago good old nokia 3310 :D
    being a 3310 id say it was still working and fully charged:) indestructible i hope the 3310 had hands free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

my staffy ate coal,horse s**t,tea bags,leg of my settee,full sky remote control.all over a few weeks when he was a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The wall :rolleyes: Straight through the plasterboard and a big chunk taken out of the breezeblock underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

A cactus - left her with a nose full of spines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

my dog ate , fones ,remotes ,dvds , my arm....
    and yet i live to tel the tale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

pokertalk wrote: »
    being a 3310 id say it was still working and fully charged:) indestructible i hope the 3310 had hands free

it was the best phone i ever owned
    still worked perfectly i dont think i even charged it since i bought it 18 months earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

My golden retriever ate a block of yeast...the packet was about the size of a half pound of butter and LUCKILY I saw her doing it because it could have been fatal.
    Literally piled here into the car to the vet and 2 injections and €80 later she vomited.
    She smelt like the inside of a vienna roll all day long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

just wondering has anyone any stories on strange things their dogs/cats have munched and passed tru in their poo;) i have pulled full socks out of my dogs butt and knickers he would eat almost anything when i first got him but not really anymore

I don't know if you mean you literally had to pull them, but I wouldn't recommend that, especially with something that has elastic in it, like socks and knickers, it could be caught up in something internally, and by pulling it, you can do serious damage.

One of my dogs ate a football sock, he has eaten loads of socks, and usually passes them whole, no problem, but I guess as this one was thicker, it stayed inside. xray to see what the blockage was and some medication later, he managed to pass it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My big guy has a real thing for tissues, you cannot leave them anywhere as he'll sniff them out, he's also been known to pull them out from under a drink without disturbing the glass :D

When the little one was a pup we went through, laptop chargers, shoes, socks very expensive mobile phone and loads and loads of mp3 player earphones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My big guy has a real thing for tissues, you cannot leave them anywhere as he'll sniff them out, he's also been known to pull them out from under a drink without disturbing the glass :D

When the little one was a pup we went through, laptop chargers, shoes, socks very expensive mobile phone and loads and loads of mp3 player earphones :P

Ha on the tissues thing im glad thats not just my dog!!! :D All my dogs have done this,and the more gross the tissue the more they want it!!! I have a cold at the moment and its a battle to stop her stealing the tissues!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Ingesting foreign bodies can be extremely serious.
    My dog became quite ill a couple of months ago. It turned out that he had eaten a weird rubbery object (rubber glove/balloon/condom?). It was hard to tell exactly what it was.
    Scans/x-rays etc didn't show anything conclusive and it was only found when the vet opened him up for an exploratory. The object had ruptured his intestine, and the vet said that the only reason he didn't get peritonitis/sepsis (highly common in these cases) is that the object managed to plug the hole that it made. She said she coudln't believe he was alive.
    Anyway, €700 later and minus four inches of intestine, he's doing great thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

My dog once ate a toy rubber mouse, he must have thought it was the real deal :)

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't know if you mean you literally had to pull them, but I wouldn't recommend that, especially with something that has elastic in it, like socks and knickers, it could be caught up in something internally, and by pulling it, you can do serious damage.

One of my dogs ate a football sock, he has eaten loads of socks, and usually passes them whole, no problem, but I guess as this one was thicker, it stayed inside. xray to see what the blockage was and some medication later, he managed to pass it.
    it was just hanging out nearly the whole way so i coaxed it out for him same with knickers and a bit of a t towel. when i say pull i dont mean yanked it.

mosi wrote: »
    Ingesting foreign bodies can be extremely serious.
    My dog became quite ill a couple of months ago. It turned out that he had eaten a weird rubbery object (rubber glove/balloon/condom?). It was hard to tell exactly what it was.
    Scans/x-rays etc didn't show anything conclusive and it was only found when the vet opened him up for an exploratory. The object had ruptured his intestine, and the vet said that the only reason he didn't get peritonitis/sepsis (highly common in these cases) is that the object managed to plug the hole that it made. She said she coudln't believe he was alive.
    Anyway, €700 later and minus four inches of intestine, he's doing great thankfully.
    so what nearly killed him saved him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

it was just hanging out nearly the whole way so i coaxed it out for him same with knickers and a bit of a t towel. when i say pull i dont mean yanked it.

Even so, you can do serious damage. You know the way sometimes if dogs eat grass, they have a strand of it hanging out of their bum? Even that you're not supposed to pull, there could be a very good reason why it hasn't come all the way out, so if they can't pass it naturally, leave it for a while, a bit of liquid paraffin to help 'grease the wheels':D, and it should be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

My cat got sick this morning and then ate it. My sister nearly got sick when she seen it. :pac::pac:

ISDW wrote: »
    Even so, you can do serious damage. You know the way sometimes if dogs eat grass, they have a strand of it hanging out of their bum? Even that you're not supposed to pull, there could be a very good reason why it hasn't come all the way out, so if they can't pass it naturally, leave it for a while, a bit of liquid paraffin to help 'grease the wheels':D, and it should be okay.
    il keep that in mind .if it gave any resistance then id leave it he has some stomach on him i tells ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

most disgusting ever was diarrhoea, found on the beach. Dog knew I was angry and kept trying to give me stinky apologies all the way home. Must've washed her muzzle about ten times that day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

my scottie chewed through the charger wire of the baby mointor while plugged in, ate a dead baby bird, a pine cone, my sisters new cork wedged shoes, any shoes, knickers, tried to attack a hedgehog.... the hedgehog won!!!!! the bin bag, foot ball,

coal!!!!! thats all i can think of and i know there is more!!!!

jjjade wrote: »
    my scottie chewed through the charger wire of the baby mointor while plugged in, ate a dead baby bird, a pine cone, my sisters new cork wedged shoes, any shoes, knickers, tried to attack a hedgehog.... the hedgehog won!!!!! the bin bag, foot ball,

coal!!!!! thats all i can think of and i know there is more!!!!
    jesus. have u tried him on dry food:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

jesus. have u tried him on dry food:D:D

trust me when i tell you this, the dog eats anything and everything!!!!!!! that was the short list i wrote just to give ppl an idea!!!!

Advertisement