Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going to galway

Options
  • 16-10-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everybody,

I m going to Galway next weekend and I was wondering if anybody could recommend some nice B&Bs? And of course some nice pubs :-)

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ladyblabla

Best pubs to go to are The kings head, Taafes, The Front door, Buser Brownes, The skeff....to name but a few! it depends on your age/what you are looking for! Galway is great though no matter what pub you are in! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 J_K_86

Hey, thanks a lot...i m 23 years old and i m looking for pubs where it s easy to meet people, have a good time and of course, some pints:-)

what would you say is a must-see in galway? (sorry, if i seem a little ignorant but i m not Irish:-)

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ladyblabla

mmmm...well if you'll have a car, I would definitely advise you to travel through connemara. |If not there are bus tours that run every day. It is a beautiful part of the country and most of the landscape is protected. You will also hear some native Irish (Gaelic) speakers if you stop into a local pub. You will be driving on the coast and weather pending you will be able to see the Arran islands and if it is a really bright day you may even see the cliffs of Moher from a distance.

The cliffs of Moher are in County Clare but they are only about an hour away from Galway, they are well worth a visit also. You may even fancy going to the Ailwee caves also, they are probably on route to the cliff's if i remember correctly!

Make sure to take a look at the Spanish arch which is in the city centre of Galway it is quite interesting to find out about the history behind it. The Cathederal is also quite nice to see.

Back to the pub scene, if you want to hear some traditional irish music sessions, (they are free people just play for their own pleasure in some pubs) most of the pubs on quay street will have random sessions, such as Tí Coilí or Tí Neachtains. And as I said before, The Kings head, the Dail, the front door and Busker Brownes are usually good spots for meeting people around our age.

If you are interested in clubbing I would recommend central park (better known as CP's) or Halo (beside CP's, usually only open at the weekends, over 23's) Cuba and Karma can be good, but CP's is probably the best. Don't go to GPO, its dirty and smelly and can be a little rough. And to top the night off and see some real Irish culture you must go to Supermacs on Eyre square for chips!! (That part is optional, but there's usually good fun to be had there at 3am!! )

Hope you have a good trip. Galway is a good spot for our age group, its full of students and young people. Enjoy. :)

Advertisement