Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what way do you store your firearm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Went up to my armpits in a pond once trying to retrieve a teal I'd shot !! VERY unnerving experience, I'm 6ft1 and my feet still couldnt touch the bottom, kinda bottomless sludge of decades of rotten leaves had to almost walk through it !! Anyway my AYA went right under the water, all got taken apart, wiped down, every nook and cranny blown out with airline, wiped again with oily rag, sprayed with WD, degreased, then oiled as per usual cleaning !! All looks works beautifully to this day anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Glanton

Store mine horizontally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Yer not that auld Bunny!
    Did you ever go into a gun shop and buy GUN CLEANING BRUSHES brass etc. say €5

Go to any good eng supply sore and buy the exact same brushes for €.50 each or less?

Gun Oil generally just is an excuse to add a few shillins on

I feel that old :p

Yes I did I think I was paying €5 per brush :eek: but not anymore :D Have a new supplier ;)

Few shillings is OK :D Few €'s is another story ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

yog1 wrote: »
    did you spray the wd 40 in round the mechanism, is it hard to strip a shotgun down to its bits to put lube ect on the right places

I was really only concerned about the trigger area. There's was some factory lube that I did not have.

As for the bolt, it got disassembled. Actually, it was this time that I figured out how to fully take down my shotgun - not just an every day clean.

WD40 is fine in the extreme case, when you know there's water in the nooks and crannies that just has to come out.

In general, I clean and spray with Rem Oil.

Keep in mind WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it is a penetrant. Rem Oil is a lubricant.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

yog1 wrote: »
    where would you find a bore guide for a cz 452, in the north preferably, try'd tannyoky but they didn't have anything that fitted, must try mccloy,s and yer man from young guns

A 20 gauge shotgun case with the primer knocked out will do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

All my rifles are stored either horizontally or muzzle-up. I can't recall ever seeing an arms room in either the US or Irish militaries, or a rifle club, where the rifles are stored muzzle-down.

I can't think of any mechanical reason muzzle-down is bad, it just seems to balance more easily with the muzzle up.(Especially if I'm just leaning it against the wall).

The comments about catching excess oil, though leave me bemused. I don't know what sort of cleaning regimen you guys are using that you have oil running down your rifles when you store them.

NTM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The comments about catching excess oil, though leave me bemused. I don't know what sort of cleaning regimen you guys are using that you have oil running down your rifles when you store them.

It is not like the oil is put into the rifle barrel and then thrown into the safe. Having thoroughly cleaned my firearm(s) and putting it/them away for "long term" storage i have no oil, however its a precaution. Ever heard the old saying "prevention is better than cure". I would sooner take a few extra minutes and ensure that any excess or "missed" oily spots cannot make their way into the mechanism of the firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ezridax wrote: »
    Ever heard the old saying "prevention is better than cure". I would sooner take a few extra minutes and ensure that any excess or "missed" oily spots cannot make their way into the mechanism of the firearm.

Yes, the prevention is to not excessively oil your firearm in the first place.

NTM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Correct hence the reason i put in my first post ;
    ezridax wrote:
    I make sure there is no oil in the barrel(s) ...................

Any time i store any firearm away for a period of time the rag is dry and clean when i remove it. Hence no excess/any oil left in the firearm. Still i would sooner the rag absorb any that may be there rather than have is seep into the internal mechanism of the rifle/shotgun. Whats the problem with that?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement