Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet question!

• 16-10-2010 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Those heavy lids on the cistern. Can you buy plastic ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

if its a plactic cistern yeah
    but i dont think ive ever seen a plastic one on a ceramic one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Strange question.... Why you ask...

You can buy an all plastic concealed cistern which is quite small or you use to be able to buy a plast one thats used in schools/Hotels. I think shires and armatage shanks done it. Imo your better going concealed. Its cheaper and easier to maintain in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Strange question.... Why you ask...
    Two reasons:
    1. the lid on my cistern is very heavy and would rather have a plastic one fall on my foot!
    2. there's a small gap between the cistern and the back wall so might be a good idea to get rid of the heavy lid as it might be pulling the cistern away from the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nolanger wrote: »
    Those heavy lids on the cistern. Can you buy plastic ones?
    I've no idea why you thought SE&I was a suitable forum for such a question - moved to DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nolanger wrote: »
    Two reasons:
    1. the lid on my cistern is very heavy and would rather have a plastic one fall on my foot!
    2. there's a small gap between the cistern and the back wall so might be a good idea to get rid of the heavy lid as it might be pulling the cistern away from the wall?

You will be the first person I have heard that happen to... The cistern lid has groves to keep it on the cistern. I imagine to knock it off you will do significant damage that its going to be water gushing everywhere and not a sore toe that will bother you...

Then again...Each to the own...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh Y'd be amazed Joey, I worked as a plumber once,its not that uncommon for someone to knock one off, especially the type that lip over the outside of the cistern.

but yeah OP you will probably have to buy a plastic cistern and lid as the odds of gettin a plastic lid that fitsproperly on your cistern are stretchin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnthehandyman

Probably cheaper to buy steal caps lol....

Advertisement