Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do. Who to go to

Options
  • 16-10-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Im renting for the past 5 or 6 months and all has gone well. Lately I have noticed the oven is faulty. Its hard to explain whats wrong with it but theres definately something not right. After using the oven and turning the knob to off the oven doesnt turn off and the only way is by turning it off at the wall. It also creates a lot of smoke inside the oven. Something else is the smell of it. So things are not right.

I dealt with an EA and after signing the lease they said any problems - I go to them. They have since relocated elsewhere. In my lease I was also provided with my landlords number. Im guessing thats for any emergency. So anyways I dont know who to go to with the appliance problem - EA or LL. I also see the LL around the premises from time to time. Do you think would it be better to track him down and talk to him in person. Its my first time renting and my first problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Who do you pay your rent to? That should ordinarily be your point of contact but in any case, the buck stops with the landlord, so unless your in contact regularly with the EA, I would not hesitate to contact the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Avns1s wrote: »
    Who do you pay your rent to? That should ordinarily be your point of contact but in any case, the buck stops with the landlord, so unless your in contact regularly with the EA, I would not hesitate to contact the landlord.

I pay rent to the LL by direct debit so very rarely see the LL. Havent been in touch with the EA since moving in. I better tidy this place before I invite the landlord in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Who are you most in contact with, EA or LL? Maybe get onto both to move things faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ilovesleep wrote: »
    It also creates a lot of smoke inside the oven. Something else is the smell of it. So things are not right.

This sounds like your oven is dirty. Have you cleaned the oven lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Clean it, smoke build up and smells are usually due to grease. The landlord has no obligation to clean it for you. If it's faulty, he can take a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Giblet wrote: »
    Clean it, smoke build up and smells are usually due to grease. The landlord has no obligation to clean it for you. If it's faulty, he can take a look at it.

First noticed things werent right about two or three weeks ago and I cleaned it then. Gave it a good clean. Unless if i didnt do a good job of it. I'll do it again to see if it makes a difference but I doubt it. I definately dont expect my LL to clean it.

The smell isn't a burning food type of smell. The best way I can describe it is if you buy a new toaster and plug it in and put it on for the first time its creates a smell. Also the element at the back is red hot even after I have turned the knob to off and the only way of turning it off is to turn it off with the red switch at the wall. Very annoying when I still have food to cook on the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After using the oven and turning the knob to off the oven doesnt turn off and the only way is by turning it off at the wall.
    Also the element at the back is red hot even after I have turned the knob to off and the only way of turning it off is to turn it off with the red switch at the wall.
    To hell with the smoke, this sounds like a possible fire hazard. Tell your LL about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah the element could be damaged, get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Regardless if the oven is clean or dirty, when you switch it off it should go off! I'd contact the LL right away. A faulty elec applicance, especially an oven, could be a risk.

Having said that, are you sure it's not turning off. I know my oven retains heat very well so even after turning it off it still very hot for an hour or so after.

Advertisement