Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 Shots | 30 Days | 30mm

• 16-10-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

In an attempt to try and increase my creatively, I set myself a little challenge last month where I would take a shot everyday for a month using only my recently acquired sigma 30mm ƒ1.4 lens

These some of my favourites and thought I'd share.
    I had a broad theme in my mind of trying to keep most of them in line with my normal days activities.... comments appreciated

16/30
    5040130370_56e2956368.jpg

22/30
    5057754817_ff1f8ce36b.jpg

29/30
    5078788839_e5f36c2ba1.jpg

Click for full set ---->5086430663_d7c3be0f22_m.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Great stuff kev. Really like the finish on some of these. From slick and clean to dark and moody. :) The 30-30-30 idea is great too. A project with a set time frame is not overwhelming. Plus the fact that it's open, style wise, is really appealing, fresh and makes for compulsive viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Coolest photo project thing I've seen in a while, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

yeah, really like these. very nice set. great idea. well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

liked the leaf, very good set

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

Some fantastic shots in there Kev_. Plus your turning out some nice work with that flash too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Mr Longshanks,
    you are the only person in the entire world that could convince me that an opel corsa is a desirable car. On that basis I think you should be banned from all photo challenges etc so that ordinary mortals have a chance.

Well done:):D:)

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Fantastic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

In an attempt to try and increase my creatively, I set myself a little challenge last month where I would take a shot everyday for a month using only my recently acquired sigma 30mm ƒ1.4 lens

These some of my favourites and thought I'd share.
    I had a broad theme in my mind of trying to keep most of them in line with my normal days activities.... comments appreciated

Been watching these as you have been posting them to flickr. You've done a good job on these. You are definitely developing your on style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like the photos, but I hate those projects, sorry.

All over Flickr you see 365 "projects", drive me nuts. There's nothing amazing about taking a photo a day, no matter what the reason. And they're weakened even more by the captions people insert in, let us make up our own mind ...

Take each image for what it is. That is how I'd look at it. I don't do collections or sets.

Rant at me at will, just my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Really nice set and good theme IMO. I'm struggling for inspiration at the minute and have been racking my brains for little projects like these to motivate me to get out and make some pictures... well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I like the photos, but I hate those projects, sorry.

All over Flickr you see 365 "projects", drive me nuts. There's nothing amazing about taking a photo a day, no matter what the reason. And they're weakened even more by the captions people insert in, let us make up our own mind ...

Take each image for what it is. That is how I'd look at it. I don't do collections or sets.

Rant at me at will, just my opinion :)

365's are easy to do, its the fact somebody has the conviction to do one is the big thing. A good friend/photographer of mine had a studio in IMMA a few years back for his 365 project (2003?). He shot on a 35mm date stamped camera and took multiple shots each day and chose one. This, couples with his intimate (and I mean intimate) diary of the same 365 with unassociated excerpts to the photos (other than being the same day of the 365).
    They were posted in order on opposite sides of his residency studio so running back and forth from image to diary excerpt was really interesting & really powerful.
    When seeing a picture of a dead bumble bee on the ground coupled with the relevant date excerpt from his diary talks about being high on Ecstasy and being penetrated by his partner (who later found out was HIV+) are two really contrasting things to relate to each other. They are personal to every individual I think. Some people appreciate them, some don't.

Some of the 30/30 images really worked for me and some really didn't. They did all keep to the same style and worked as a body/group of work though.

This isn't a rant, just my opinion.

I get what you're saying, completely. Some projects work, some don't. the ones that do usually have some intense reasoning behind, like you just stated. It just puzzles me why so many people set themselves a task just for the sake of having a task. Ok, it's better than no goal, but it's not a necessity.

You just said it, some of the images are great, and i agree. I'm not knocking the images here, just the concept. Again, just opinion. OP has set himself a goal and completed, that is great. I just don't see the point in these mini projects.

For me every image should stand alone, As I said, I dont like to do 'sets' - I struggle to fit images into sets on Flickr :D As they all have their own story [to me, personally] and I don't feel the need to imprint a caption on any of them.

See, here is where I normally get in trouble, because of simple opinion, so best leave it be here for me. Nowt wrong with your images OP [minus captions] - But I'd just rather see them individually rather than some drama about a 30-day set. I'm sure more will love the idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

Wonderful set Kev.

I'm more of a lurker, but your snaps always bring a smile to my face.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ah why beat about the bush, its just a pure pleasure looking at the photo's you've turned out the last 18 months or so. Keep it coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Cracking shots Kev! Great stuff altogether :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

oshead wrote: »
    Great stuff kev. Really like the finish on some of these. From slick and clean to dark and moody. :) The 30-30-30 idea is great too. A project with a set time frame is not overwhelming. Plus the fact that it's open, style wise, is really appealing, fresh and makes for compulsive viewing.
    Coolest photo project thing I've seen in a while, well done!
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    yeah, really like these. very nice set. great idea. well done.
    Thanks!
    FoxT wrote: »
    Mr Longshanks,
    you are the only person in the entire world that could convince me that an opel corsa is a desirable car. On that basis I think you should be banned from all photo challenges etc so that ordinary mortals have a chance.

Well done:):D:)

- FoxT
    LOL. Mine aint no normal corsa ;)
    I like the photos, but I hate those projects, sorry.......
    Thanks. And I do appreciate your opinion - but I think by saying you hate these kinda projects that you missed the entire point of the exercise. As stated in the OP, I wanted try and increase my creatively. This seemed like a good way to do it.
    A bit more background info.... over the course of the summer I barely lifted my camera. I think i posted 2 to flickr in 6 weeks.....and I was starting to get annoyed with myself. A lucky break got me a €200 voucher from work and after selling a 18-50mm ƒ2.8 I was then able to buy the 30mm ƒ1.4 lens I always wanted. This then game me the idea to put it into maximum use.
    pete4130 wrote: »
    365's are easy to do, its the fact somebody has the conviction to do one is the big thing. A good friend/photographer of mine had a studio in IMMA a few years back for his 365 project (2003?). He shot on a 35mm date stamped camera and took multiple shots each day and chose one. This, couples with his intimate (and I mean intimate) diary of the same 365 with unassociated excerpts to the photos (other than being the same day of the 365).
    They were posted in order on opposite sides of his residency studio so running back and forth from image to diary excerpt was really interesting & really powerful.
    When seeing a picture of a dead bumble bee on the ground coupled with the relevant date excerpt from his diary talks about being high on Ecstasy and being penetrated by his partner (who later found out was HIV+) are two really contrasting things to relate to each other. They are personal to every individual I think. Some people appreciate them, some don't.

Some of the 30/30 images really worked for me and some really didn't. They did all keep to the same style and worked as a body/group of work though.

This isn't a rant, just my opinion.

Cheers Pete. I fully know myself that some worked and some don't. But it got me out of a rut. I was really pleased with my own happy to sh1te ratio :D
    ........I'm not knocking the images here, just the concept. Again, just opinion. OP has set himself a goal and completed, that is great. I just don't see the point in these mini projects. .
    I hope I cleared up the reasons above...
    ......and I don't feel the need to imprint a caption on any of them......
    I can see where your coming from. Some might take the captions as marmite...but I like them and they are also used as a means to discourage them being used without permission on a few scrupulous websites :D

stick-dan wrote: »
    Ah why beat about the bush, its just a pure pleasure looking at the photo's you've turned out the last 18 months or so. Keep it coming.
    Thanks man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Lovely trio of shots and well done on getting out there and being creative. Your lens seems to be a great investment.

My favourite is the first of the dog. :D Well done

I hear you on those reasonings. I think Flickr just ruined the idea for me, too many people doing it, and a lot of them are not interesting. I have to say, your images are far better quality than most of the projects I've seen ;)

End of the day, it is what you like that matters most concerning your own work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Kevin,

Have had a look at all of the images for this project over on Flickr. You have done a really fantastic job. All of the images have quality components to them, be it the subject matter or just simply the affects you achieved with the lighting :cool:

Congrats!
    Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

This is a great Idea, I have to say thatyour images here and elsewhere are cracking shots and I always enjoy having a look at them.
    I like the idea of the caption in the shot as a deterent as well as it suiting most images that I have seen you use it in.
    my favourite shots were of budster, the toy soldiers and the character from little big planet (sackboy?). The rest are really good and stand out to me as being excellent use of lighting given the wide range of content.

Ive had a slight drought of inspiration but this has inspired me to put my sigma 50mm f/1.4 on the camera and do a 5 shots/5weeks project perhaps to go with the number :D

cheers for sharing!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

Wonderful, some great images there Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Very reminiscent of Dustin Diaz's stuff, Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i like the one with the toy soldiers

Advertisement