Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution of Firearm

Options
  • 16-10-2010 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering how long does it take for a firearm to get substituted?

I applied to change my o/u for a semi auto at the start of September and I still haven't heard a word. I have been in my local station and they say it has to be sent to Dublin to be changed. Is this true or are they just messing around?

I need a shotgun before the 1st!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

14 days for a substitution.

After 3 weeks i would making calls, but after 6 weeks i would be down in the station asking the FO to follow it up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It took me 1 working day. Applied on a Wednesday night 830pm and I had the sub. license in through the letter box first thing Friday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I have been in last Friday and 3 weeks ago as well. I don't know whats going on but I'm getting very anger now. The F/O is in on Monday so I don't think I'll be heading back to college until Tuesday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dev110 wrote: »
    I have been in last Friday and 3 weeks ago as well. I don't know whats going on but I'm getting very anger now. The F/O is in on Monday so I don't think I'll be heading back to college until Tuesday morning :D

submitted mine three weeks ago no sign yet, surprised because my FO is top class spot on and very efficient

I taught my FO was good because it only toke two weeks for my new licences to come through but it did take three months for my letter of permission for my moderator came through. I am sick of waiting! I applied for my sub the 1st of September thinking it would be back after two/three weeks and would have plenty of practice before the pheasants came into season...now I will be lucky if I even have a gun.

Any advice on what to say to the FO about what is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dev110 wrote: »
    ............Any advice on what to say to the FO about what is going on?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease sort this out for me :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You say your FO has always been spot on in the past. That being said he processess the paperwork, the Super/ Chief Super signs off on it and it goes to Dublin to be issued and Clare to be printed.

DO NOT go in and have a go at your FO. There could be a fault anywhere in the line that has caused the delay. Speak to him/her and see what they can do. Do not leave without setting a time to return to check on his progress. As in you speak to him on Monday say " ........... i'll leave it with you and call in Friday or Monday next". It lets him know you will not sit back for another 6 weeks, but also keeps it friendly.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

it all depends on the FO, if he is on the ball should only be a couple of days, but they have to go to the main area station to get put on system by the supers clerk, once its on the super's system it automatically gets printed in dublin and sent out. My local FO only sends firearm stuff in many once a month or when he has enough paper work to send in, he wont send in just one application! :mad:
    So this is where i suspect is the reason for such a delay in some areas!

I'll give that a shot but they keep saying to me that all is ok at their end and last week when i was in one of the guards checked the computer and said it hasn't gone through yet!

I'm thinking of going to the Super on Monday after I'm in the local station to see what is going on.

I was right my FO is dead on. He said that if I don't get my licence by the last Friday he will write me a letter explaining that I have applied to sub and stamp it so I can get my gun.

Good news after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement