Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to sit-ups???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Mod Note

OK folks, as the drifter has left the matrix and headed out into the real world for a while I have cleaned up this thread a little.

I have basically deleted the last page of posts which appears to be an back and forth between Mr.Loverman and the OP, with neither side seeing the others point of view.

@WhodahWoodah: The point Mr.Loverman is making is that it is possible to get a flat tight stomach without lots of time spent on stomach exercises. And as long as you are carrying extra weight on your stomach area, you will not notice much difference no matter how long you spend on stomach exercises. This is a fair point

@ Mr.Loverman: WhodahWoodah stated in her OP that she has lost quite a weight through changing her diet and has asked for recommendations for exercises that would hit the same muscles as sit-ups, as she does not like/can not do this exercise.

You really only need to make your point about sit-ups being IYO ineffective once. Then either give WhodahWoodah advice on exercises she seeks or leave the thread. Getting into a spat with the OP, making the same point over and over is of no help to the OP. Also abs/core exercises are not a waste of time. A strong core is essential not just while working out, but in everyday life.

I am therefore going to request that if you have no advice to give on ab exercises that the OP can use to replace sit-ups, that you refrain from posting further in this thread, as you have already made your position on the benefit of ab exercises clear.

@ Everybody else: The topic of this thread is exercises which will target the same muscles as sit-ups or core exercises in general. So lets stick to the topic shall we?

M

Below are two videos, 1 is from Transform, a PT who posts on here and has quite a few useful videos available on youtube (search for transform1234 on youtube) and on his blog. The other is a video I came across a while back which I thought was pretty good.

Both of these videos show women who are looking to get back into shape after pregnancy, which I know is not your plight, however in these cases the women would be carrying some extra weight, some of which will be on the stomachs, so seeing the routines that they use may give you some idea for overall body exercises which will help you get & stay toned all over.

Transforms Video

Second video link

http://www.icechamber.com/videos/mgcomeback1.html

There is also The Home Workout Thread which hopefully will provide ideas on exercises you can do at home to compliment your current diet which you have seen great success with.

Finally I would say (and I understand that you said funds were tight) that if you could pick up maybe some or all of the following over time, a 8kg kettlebell and a skipping rope & possibly some resistance bands, then these would also make great tools to help reduce and tighten the tummy.

There are loads of kettlebell workout ideas on youtube and there are a few places around Dublin where they teach KB classes, where you could go a couple of times to get shown the proper technique for the different moves. Let me know if this is something that you might be interested in and I can provide you with more details.

Best wishes for your continued success,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Thanks B builder OP i got your PM but im going to leave the thread open as its a decent enough question and as you said yourself there were some good answers

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

B-builder, where would you recommend for KB classes? i'm dying to try it out.. somewhere in D4/2 preferrably..

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    B-builder, where would you recommend for KB classes? i'm dying to try it out.. somewhere in D4/2 preferrably..

The one I did and thought was really good was run by Buy Kettlebell Dublin and they have a workshop on Sat, Nov 6th & Sun, Nov 14th, in the IFSC, D2. Included in the price is a free KB to take away with you and an instructional booklet. This workshop is 3 hours long, so expect to be a little stiff for a day or so after it :)

WildGeese Martial Arts are located in Pearse St, opposite the Dart station, and have a number of classes at different times/days. No idea on prices though.

The Buy KB Dublin folks also run classes in a gym in Bridgefoot st (South Quays) or in the RAW gym in South Richmond st, which are both city center locations.

M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have a hiatus hernia and when I do sit-ups I get a lot of acid reflux. It's really yuck. Fairly vertical stuff is much better for me as the acid situation is fairly aggravated to begin with at the moment given all the stress from the break-up etc.

Have one of those bad boys myself, a hiatus hernia that is. Hanging leg raises are your only man. Not that there's anything wrong with anything else suggested, but it is nice to stay as vertical as possible.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Wonkagirl wrote: »

Wonkagirl - like BB, I would highly recommend the kettlebells dublin workshop. I attended one this past month and it was invaluable. AFAIK, wildgeese classes are 15e PAYG for a class.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Thanks guys.. booked myself in for the workshop- 65e for the 3 hours AND kettlebell.. looking fwd to it, have been dying to try it for ages.. thanks for the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

I live in Waterford but I think I'll take a spin up to Dublin for the kettlebell workshop next month. Handy to get the thing and learn how to use it all in one day. Also I noticed they have all different sized ones for sale on the site so I take it the instructor on the day will work out what weight KB is right for me and my current fitness level. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Single arm shoulder press and pushpress are an excellent core (6pack) excercise.

• Advertisement

they sure are...

just reminded me of single arm oh farmers walk.....oh dear...

I live in Waterford but I think I'll take a spin up to Dublin for the kettlebell workshop next month. Handy to get the thing and learn how to use it all in one day. Also I noticed they have all different sized ones for sale on the site so I take it the instructor on the day will work out what weight KB is right for me and my current fitness level. Thanks guys!

AFAIK the lightest KB that Buy KB Dublin sell is an 8kg one, and this is usually the one that most ladies will start with. It is also most likely the one you will get to take home. They guys usually start off with a 16kg KB and this is usually what they get to take home.

However if you are able to handle a heavier KB, then there are usually a few available on the day. If not one will be sent out to you.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

they do kettle bells class in carl waitoas gym in the old jute factory in tycor.

anplaya wrote: »
    they do kettle bells class in carl waitoas gym in the old jute factory in tycor.

Saw that on google! I'm dragging a girlfriend to the thing in Dublin - should be a bit of fun - and then Thai dinner and The Red Monkey Tea Party to round out our ultra healthy day! I like the fact that you get the KB at the workshop and presumably pretty much everyone will be a beginner as part of the class price is to cover the cost of the KB. Hopefully it'll be good and I'll start attending Karls class afterwards.

Starting weightwatchers Weds and a friend of mine suggested that I get back to horseriding which I used to be quite into for toughening up my core and belly so hope to have my first refresher lesson this weekend somewhere.

Think I'll be taking water aerobics classes too, prob in Kingfisher, and have done some planks etc too. Bought porridge today for my winter breakfasts and plan to bust out my Gillian Michaels Bootcamp wii game before work tomorrow.

All in all I think it's fair to say I've got a plan and my belly's time is rapidly running out! Probably would have taken me months to get my plan organised without the motivation I've had here. Mark this - I'm 5'11" and 13 stone 4 lbs. I'm planning to go to 11 and a half stone roughly as I'm always quite thin at that weight - large head and boobs!! Lol. I'll pop the occasional weight update here til I arrive at my destination. Thanks everyone!!

you could start a log...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Suitcase deadlift.
    Single hand farmer walks.
    Any form of one hand press.
    1/2 Dumbell Pushpress, as in getting the weight from the floor into the pushing position,hold for few seconds and repeat, this destroys me.

Some great excercises are overlooked simply because they don't provide the "burn"

Okey-doke!

JJayoo wrote: »
    Suitcase deadlift.
    Single hand farmer walks.
    Any form of one hand press.
    1/2 Dumbell Pushpress, as in getting the weight from the floor into the pushing position,hold for few seconds and repeat, this destroys me.

Some great excercises are overlooked simply because they don't provide the "burn"

I'm gonna have to google these as this is all gibberish to me! Can't decide if it's weightlifting or press ups with one hand lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Plenty here for most people to do a good workout - farmers walk, kettlebell swings and the dreaded burpees. Zero direct 'core' work but guaranteed wayyyy better use of time than the usual sh1te you see in normal gym

Advertisement