Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Advice Dell PowerEdge

Options
  • 16-10-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, Im not the best when it comes to buying Ram but i need advice.

I'm trying to get a ram for an old PowerEdge Server i've got, it currently has 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM (1x1GB) dual rank, i'm not sure if its thesame as any other DDR2 SDRAM or i have to one that actually says dual rank lol.

Looking to buy on ebay ofcourse.

Any replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It will most likely be ECC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We have quite a lot of PowerEdges in here. Do you have the Model number and I can check one

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aamurray

I use the online memory finder at kingston.com - ok it will only give you the kingston part number but it details the memory type, speed, slot config and lots of other relevant information - for example if the memory must be installed in pairs or not. Great for comparing memory on eBay afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Try using crucial.com website. It will give you model and prices + other advice for any memory purely based on computer make and model etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 moojo

thanks guys; i'm not at home atm but i will ring my brother in a few hours to check the Model number for me. i think its an 840 tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We actually dont use 840's, more like the 2800, 2900 + etc

As aamurray and Raggaroo mentioned, those sites should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

+1 on crucial.com or give them a call - They have a great returns policy if you make a mistake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.shop4memory.com use the memory finder, it will give you several part numbers

you can then search else where in case you can get it cheaper elsewhere

note the memory finders will give you compatible memory but not necessiarly the fastest memory

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

The PowerEdge 840 supports two speeds of DIMMs. The slower speed is PC2-4200F, which corresponds to 533 MHz DDR2 devices and a serial channel speed of 3.2 GHz. This speed matches the bandwidth of CPUs with FSB of 1066 MHz The faster speed is PC2-5300F, which corresponds to 667 MHz DDR2. This speed matches the bandwidth of CPUs with FSB of 1333 MHz.

The 840 is more like a desktop then a Server to be honest

For the best performance from that system you should have all 4 slots in use with the same speed ram.

Advertisement