Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Stuff On Android Market Question

• 16-10-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Just wondering only using it a few days,

But I see that all the free programs you can only use them while using the internet.

Why is this ?

Taking a wild guess here but the paid for ones can you use them without having to be connected to the internet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just wondering only using it a few days,

But I see that all the free programs you can only use them while using the internet.

Why is this ?

Taking a wild guess here but the paid for ones can you use them without having to be connected to the internet.

What apps are you looking at?
    The vast majority of apps free/paid would need internet access to pull the information theyre providing.Others like games would usually have it for leaderboards and stuff. GPS apps that actually store maps on the SD card like CoPilot would use it as part of A-GPS to get a lock faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

So what your saying is they all need Internet Access that sucks.

Pretty much.What apps were you looking for that wouldnt need to download information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

It depends on what the app does. Lots of apps need internet access due to their nature and function, e.g. news apps etc, but there are plenty of others that don't, e.g. games.,

Look at the permissions an app asks for when it installs to see if it will need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A lot of free apps are ad supported...they need internet access to pull down the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Ludo wrote: »
    A lot of free apps are ad supported...they need internet access to pull down the ad.

Ones I got still seem to work with no net access,the ads just don't come on screen. Talking about apps that don't necessarily need to pull info from net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

There are loads of apps that work without the internet. Maybe post the type of apps you are having a problem with and we can recommend alternatives.

My top used apps are

BeyondPod - Needs internet access to get the podcasts obviously but plays those podcasts fine with no internet.

K9 Mail - Needs internet to get the mail but I can compose and read mail while offline.

Dropbox - Needs internet to pull down or upload files but once they're downloaded I can access the filles offline.

Catch - Nees to be online to sync but can edit / update notes while offline.

The apps that have ads generally work OK, just with a black bar where the ad would be (that's better).

I don't have a data plan so I'm only online when my phone is close to a couple of WiFi networks that I have access to.

Edit: Actually looking at my apps the only apps that won't work at all without internet on my phone are

Browser
    Zedge
    IMDB
    YouTube
    SpeedTest
    FourSquare
    FaceBook
    CNet News
    Cabbage
    Newstalk
    Market
    GoogleMaps - I need maps whilst out and about so I bought CoPilot which works great offline.

Those are about 20% of my apps and they're not the most used.

Cheers lads this helps a lot.

Maybe one of yeahs could start two threads

Stating the ones that need the internet and the ones that don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭breeno

The vast majority of apps(excluding games obviously) are shortcuts to internet information e.g. news apps, social networks, music/video streaming and will obviously require internet connectivity to complete their tasks. If you are new to Android, be sure to get an internet data bundle before messing around with apps and internet as it'll cost a lot without one!!

Cheers lads this helps a lot.

Maybe one of yeahs could start two threads

Stating the ones that need the internet and the ones that don't.

I think youd be better off telling us what kind of apps youre looking for.Those threads would be pretty pointless since using or needing data are very different things

• Advertisement

only got the phone so still playing with it.
    I think youd be better off telling us what kind of apps youre looking for.Those threads would be pretty pointless since using or needing data are very different things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

only got the phone so still playing with it.

Get 3G watchdog from the market and it'll tell you how much mobile internet data your using.

Data counter widget does the same but can measure wifi usage but it's not as slick. I'd say get both and mess around on wifi so you have an idea how much data certain apps use.

Advertisement