Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7Up Christmas on Ice

Options
  • 16-10-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Anyone here know whether or not 7Up Christmas on Ice is going ahead at the RDS (or elsewhere) this year? The website is vague to say the least and I have usually got an email from them by this stage. Looks like another faller possibly:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 icemarshal

there is dundrum on ice this year it will be open early November in the dundrum shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Vsme

is liffey valley happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

No info up on the RDS website as of yet either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I asked @TheRDS on twitter and they said it'll be back in mid November and to keep an eye on the website for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

It might be worth your while taking a trip up the M1...

In Dundalk there is a lovely modern facility, good local shopping and Newry is nearby:

http://www.dundalkicedome.com/index.php/public-skating/timetable.html

If you dont mind going further, Dundonald is really good value, and generally very quiet

http://www.theicebowl.com/template1.asp?pid=289&area=1

homer911 wrote: »
    It might be worth your while taking a trip up the M1...

In Dundalk there is a lovely modern facility, good local shopping and Newry is nearby:

http://www.dundalkicedome.com/index.php/public-skating/timetable.html

If you dont mind going further, Dundonald is really good value, and generally very quiet

http://www.theicebowl.com/template1.asp?pid=289&area=1

The Ice Dome has been closed since May. It is supposed to have been taken over by Planet Ice, but the landlord is stalling.... Personally, I would be surprised if it reopens at this side of Christmas....

A holding page is now up for 7up on Ice, with 2 venues listed - RDS and Arnotts. It mentions something about a synthetic ice - I am not a happy camper re synthetic ice - it ruins blades of skates (I have my own), and is difficult to balance in unless you use the rentals with their blunt blades :(. I am hoping at least one of these two rinks will be proper ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Vsme

there is no such thing as Synthetic Ice, its slippery plastic, not exactly the real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 cmerush2dstars

Hi I was just wonderin it anyone knows the size of the RDS ice rink and if its real ice or not? And does anyone know if the bray ice rink is opening this year?

Hi I was just wonderin it anyone knows the size of the RDS ice rink and if its real ice or not? And does anyone know if the bray ice rink is opening this year?

Can't give an exact size of the RDS but off the top of my head I'd say it's about 8 times the size of the Bray one. Yes, it's real. Dunno if the Bray one is opening this year, haven't been in the town for a week or so. I did look then but there was no sign of any work at last year's site

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Can't give an exact size of the RDS but off the top of my head I'd say it's about 8 times the size of the Bray one. Yes, it's real. Dunno if the Bray one is opening this year, haven't been in the town for a week or so. I did look then but there was no sign of any work at last year's site

This year, it's not real ice - is awful synthetic ice :(. Dundrum is the only rink in Dublin this year with real ice :(

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Double :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hijacked

I was there the other day in Arnotts. It's basically sheets of white thick plastic with dribbles of water over it. It's also tiny, if it wasn't for the citydeal.ie I wouldnt have paid 12 euro and I wudn't recommend anyone paying the 12 quid and go to the real ice ones. Also, it wasn't as advertised at all.
    • Hourly snow falls, Skating Santa, and more (didn't see any of this, just sarcastic staff)
    • On the rooftop, skate under the dotted sky whilst overlooking the glowing city
    • Enjoy the merry atmosphere in Ireland's new rooftop rink at Arnott's (Your in a car park)
    • New for 2010 are the eco-friendly rinks(sheets of plastic)

Hijacked wrote: »
    if it wasn't for the citydeal.ie I wouldnt have paid 12 euro and I wudn't recommend anyone paying the 12 quid and go to the real ice ones

Forgot to mention this. Go to citydeal.ie and get skating for €6. Just be careful though, it's only available at the RDS on the weekend of Dec. 3rd-5th

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

There is an ice rink at City West Hotel (real ice) largest outdoor rink in Ireland :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Remember to buy and wear roller-blading knee and elbow pads - still suffering the effects of a knee-breakage years on from a trip to Smithfield.

Advertisement