Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which scandal would drive you onto the street?

• 16-10-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

There are so many crazy things going on in Official Ireland, it seems we are all suffering from scandal-fatigue.

But for me, the idea that Bertie Aherne would run for elected Lord Mayor of Dublin, or, God forbid, for President...that would be the straw that would break my back. That scenario would be my cue to get my walking boots on and make my feelings known outside the Mansion House or the "Arus".

Maybe his current fetish of hiding in that cupboard should be encouraged...as long as we can put a lock on the outside.

So what scandal would it take for you to finally get off the sofa or the high stool?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Mary gettin kicked off X Factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

RTE paying to have Stephen Ireland's wife interviewed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Alison O'Riordan foreclosure and eviction. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭deepsouthtalla

I think the next budget is going to bring us all out on the street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Any attempts to raise corporation tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crixus veritas

We've already decided to take to the streets in Cork on the 4th of December, to demand accountability and punishment for what has gone on in the Banking sector, amongst other things.

This March is not being led by any political party or Union, just a lot or really pissed off Joe and Jo Publics.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Protest-March-for-Change-Cork-December-4th-2010/109861979077942

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When the IMF takes over the state and the people realise we have blown independence and all it took to get it,thats when the sh1t will really hit the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

How about them smelly hippys going on about killing furry little animals for their fur. Get them to sit outside butcher shops telling real people not to buy sausages but to buy bananas or potatoes instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Onto the street? I'm already up the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Any attempts to raise corporation tax

Is this really the thing that would most compel you? Personally ive heard that everything is on the board in the next budget .So hypothetically if every tax in the land was risen would you still march against the precious corporate tax being risen?
    Op Berty running for any office should not be a the straw that brakes the camels back , Is it not broken by now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Plug wrote: »
    How about them smelly hippys going on about killing furry little animals for their fur. Get them to sit outside butcher shops telling real people not to buy sausages but to buy bananas or potatoes instead.

This post makes me want to take the streets and jump in front of a bus.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Is this really the thing that would most compel you? Personally ive heard that everything is on the board in the next budget .So hypothetically if every tax in the land was risen would you still march against the precious corporate tax being risen?
    Op Berty running for any office should not be a the straw that brakes the camels back , Is it not broken by now?

If they ended up spooking the multinationals that base themselves here because of it (or it plays a large factor in their decision to base here), we'd be proper f**ked. Things are bad enough. I'd rather they cut pensions, dropped foreign aid, cut back on capital expenditure, and reigned in waste in things like the HSE. Or else look at other ways to raise money. Probably some other things that would compel me to protest, but that comes to mind after some recent comments about raising it, particularly from that European minister, forget who it was. It's one of the things the economy has going for it, don't need to throw that away too.

If they ended up spooking the multinationals that base themselves here because of it (or it plays a large factor in their decision to base here), we'd be proper f**ked. Things are bad enough. I'd rather they cut pensions, dropped foreign aid, cut back on capital expenditure, and reigned in waste in things like the HSE. Or else look at other ways to raise money. Probably some other things that would compel me to protest, but that comes to mind after some recent comments about raising it, particularly from that European minister, forget who it was. It's one of the things the economy has going for it, don't need to throw that away too.
    So out of all the things that are going to be cut in the next budjet corporate tax should be exempt?
    What about spending money to create indigenous business so the profits are not taken over seas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Timistry

Plug wrote: »

Oi! Let the butchers alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Dail Eireann breaks for Christmas holidays next week, returning in April.

So out of all the things that are going to be cut in the next budjet corporate tax should be exempt?
    Yes
    What about spending money to create indigenous business so the profits are not taken over seas

Should be done if its viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

the ones to do with driving like raising road tax or..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well it's a good thing so that there is no such thing as road tax :)
    Motor tax isn't ringfenced for road projects.
    The kid who doesn't drive and buys a can of orange is contributing to the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something,'

Knowing quite a few people who were lost to suicide this is what riled me.
    Riled me more the Moriarity (sp?) Tribuneral or NAMA or golden cirlce.
    No, that comment hit home.

Farmers are self employed, many with heavy debt and almost all with nobody to talk to for most of the day.
    So I know many lost to suicide in a rural village.

And in 10 or 20 years I'll still remember that comment from the Taoiseach at the time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The closure of redtube.

I'll have no choice but to hit the street and kerbcrawl for real fanny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lets face it, there has been next to no protests about Nama/banks because it hasnt resulted in the deduction of money from our take home pay but the cost has been added to our national debt for our children to pay for.

Hit us in the pocket severely Cowen on a monthly basis and we will end up storming the Dail.

Yes

why is it more important to not cut this but cut other things?

why is it more important to not cut this but cut other things?

Because its a big incentive for multinational companies to locate here, and they provide jobs. Raising it could put them off locating here, we're already expensive enough, and cause companies already based here to move to other countries with cheaper operating costs.
    The comments of certain European ministers are not helpful, and would represent a real loss to our sovereignty if they forced us to raise it to levels similar to their countries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

heard a rumour yesterday that my accountant is getting handouts from SVP, almost protested at his bill......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm already being driven to the streets!

November 3rd, student march in Dublin to protest another hike in Reg. Fees!
    All are welcome!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm already being driven to the streets!

November 3rd, student march in Dublin to protest another hike in Reg. Fees!
    All are welcome!

Students need to pay for their education. Why should the taxpayer fund you especially when you on graduation, feck off via emigration? ;)

gurramok wrote: »
    Students need to pay for their education. Why should the taxpayer fund you especially when you on graduation, feck off via emigration? ;)

I plan on staying here and fixing the education system for your kids, actually ;)

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I plan on staying here and fixing the education system for your kids, actually ;)

How can you when teacher jobs are closed off due to cutbacks? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭puheen

I hope you do SarahBeep and bring in a whole overhaul of the current mediocre education system that is in place. Alas I feel your good intent will be destroyed by the teaching unions and government ineptitudes. best of luck in Australia or Canada !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Well, I have a chiropractor on emergency stand-by...

It's now very difficult to escape from all the revelations about the waste of tax-payer's money. That mid-section of the 01 telephone directory listing all the Government services...thousands of phone numbers there alone.

And behind each number there are God-knows how many civil servants, officials, clerks, pen-pushers, all being paid thanks to the hard-earned money that is deducted from our wages.

It seems that every Government organisation and quango is over-staffed and over-paid, all choking with miles of red tape.

There are certain groups of public servants that I would admire ( nurses, prison officers, firemen, ambulance staff etc ) and others I would be a lot less impressed with (HSE upper management, ex-ministers with ridiculous perks etc.)
    We've all heard the phrase, "it's easy to spend other people's money" and that certainly applies to our paddy-wakery politicians.

Now..how do I get off this high horse??

gurramok wrote: »
    How can you when teacher jobs are closed off due to cutbacks? ;)

They're not ;)

Advertisement