Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Started back cycling after 4 year break!

• 16-10-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

I'm 35 and being a few years, finding it a lot harder on the legs.

Cycle about 8 miles to and from College, have the young fella on

the bike too(drop him off at he's Grannys in the morning).

Loves putting on he's helmet and switching on the lights.

Loving the early morning views and slower pace away from the car.

Sleeping alot better at night too(knackered):)

Any tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I am 42 and back after a 20 year break. I am finding it easier than I expected and find after 2 weeks I am faster than I was 20 years ago. But I have a 9.5KG road racer with Shimano gears now, 20 years ago I had a 15KG Raleigh with sturmey archer gears. I am guessing that you are riding a mountain bike.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ah sure you're only a young feller. Should be no problem to you...

Pick one lower gear and learn to pedal faster. That'll make to work easier on the old. creaking joints. Other than that, just enjoy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Good stuff lads! Thanks for the tips, it a standard mountain bike.

But i'll try the lower gears and enjoy the cycling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Welcome back! my tip, if you start slow you'll enjoy cycling for the rest of your life, push too hard at the start and you will injure yourself (probably your knees) and lose your interest resulting in you staying out of the saddle again.

Advertisement