Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creche

Options
  • 16-10-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have been working full time in a creche since June. I work in the baby room and at the moment a one year old is starting in the room. She has not taken to the creche at all as she has only ever been minded by family members. Has any one any tips on how to settler her?? Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does she bring her teddy or blankie?
    Is there anyhting that she loves,my little one loves books so in the creche on mornings with tears I would pick a book for her before she left and she would be a lot happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Maybe an item of her mothers clothing. She might be comforted by the scent and the object might let her know her mom is coming back for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Help??

They are good ideas. Her Dad is bringing in a cd tomorrow as well as she likes music!! Hope it works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Boo!!!

sometimes you have to be a little mean and make sure you do not pick the child up all the time and allow them to sit and cry until they get distracted by a toy or give up, the child will get used to its surroundings soon enough sometimes it takes up to three weeks but this strategy works and at the end of the day its the right thing to do for the carers, child and parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

I would imagine the creche would have guidelines for this sort of thing? Surely it is a situation that is encountered a lot?
    Is there someone more experienced there you could get advice from? (maybe they have dealt with these situations before)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

I understand you are seeking advice Help and that’s always a good thing. But I am slightly alarmed by your post. If one of my daughters creche minders was resorting to posting on a forum about her to settle her I would be very upset. Surely you have some type of childcare qualification, which has taught you tools for calming babies? Or if not, is there no one more experienced available to help out.

There is no substitute for parental advice about their child because they will know their baby best. Maybe a longer settling in period for the child in question with Mam or Dad staying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have just put my daughter into creche. I knew she is not clingy at all so I presumed I'd just drop her like you would on the first day of school. but the creche have tailored settling weeks depending on the childs needs.

I had to stay with her for 2 days, then go for 1 hour. Now on Monday she'll be dropped off for the afternoon. I was really impressed with this, it shows a system as apposed to a one size fits all way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I worked for several years in childcare & found it always took anywhere between 1-3 weeks for a child to settle into nursery.
    She is at the age where she is more aware of her surroundings and more inclined to make strange.

I definitely agree with above advice, bring in her favourite teddy/item of mums clothing....some item from home to make her feel more secure.

It does take time but I've never seen a child not settle in within the 3 weeks (maybe I was just lucky!), some babies just find it that little bit harder.

Hope she settles soon.

I also agree if you haven't already then speak to a senior member of staff about your concerns. It is not a sign that you are not able to do your job, everyone needs guidance from time to time, especially when you're not long in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cooperangela88

This reminds me of being in a crèche when I was working there for almost 6 months or so. The trick is to never keep kids idle, they would start crying or damaging stuffs. You must have some list of activities which would keep them occupied.

Advertisement