Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Controversy

• 16-10-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news coming from Sunday Times that members involved in voting are being offered cash for votes. Will find some links now as just watching on Sky News.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not all that surprising, tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The whole process of bidding to host a World Cup is a circus.
    I wouldn't be even slightly surprised by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finally got to a link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9099326.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Two Fifa officials have offered to sell their votes in the contest to host the 2018 World Cup, according to a Sunday Times report. The newspaper has video footage in which Nigerian Amos Adamu, a Fifa executive committee member, asks for £500,000 for a "personal project".

This is completely against Fifa rules.

And Oceania Football Confederation president Reynald Temarii, wanted money for a sports academy for his vote, which will take place on 2 December.
    England are competing to host the tournament in eight years time, as well as Russia and joint bids from Spain and Portugal and Holland and Belgium.
    A 24-strong committee will decide by secret ballot who should host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

And yes, it doesn't surprise me all too much, but hey, surely a bit topical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its normal Mexico 86 kinda set the trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Not surprised in the least. I'd say many officals have made deals already for their votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mister men wrote: »
    Not surprised in the least. I'd say many officals have made deals already for their votes.

They said something on Sky News that friendlies (for example) would be arranged, but that sort of thing is allowed. I think its the cash for votes thing that makes it stronger controversy (I'll stop using that word as none here are shocked by it).
    BBC wrote:
    The footage, filmed by undercover Sunday Times journalists, shows Adamu wanting money to be paid to him directly for endorsing a bid.
    The reporters had posed as lobbyists for a United States bid. The US decided on Friday to withdraw from the running for the 2018 World Cup and instead concentrate on the 2022 competition.

In the video, Adamu was asked whether the money for a "private project" would have an effect on the way he voted, he replied: "Obviously, it will have an effect. of course it will. Because certainly if you are to invest in that, that means you also want the vote."

Fifa has so far not responded to the allegations.

Thats been added into my previous quote from BBC. There is also a video that I saw on tv, but haven't found online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Shame it wasnt Jack Warner they caught but good work exposing them anyway. It still the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mushy wrote: »
    Breaking news coming from Sunday Times that members involved in voting are being offered cash for votes. Will find some links now as just watching on Sky News.

Don't worry about the links. Consider yourself believed. FIFA is as dodgy as a Robert Mugabe led organistion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Most Nigerian scamsters ask for less than 500k in my experience, must be a new tactic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Russians to get it so? Most corrupt organisation out of the 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Russia 2018 & Australia 2022 was always how this was going to turn out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Advertisement