Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this structure a low voltage mini substation?

Options
  • 16-10-2010 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I know in housing estate in front of some houses there are these ESB boxes known as mini pillars. What I like to know is what are galvanised metal ESB structures (sometimes in green) called. It stands alone and has a concrete base and has louvred double doors with the bright yellow hazard sign with a thunderbolt on it. I'm trying to write a letter for issue to the residents of the estate to tell them to discourage their children from playing too close to it. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its a a substation bascially. Some are indoor (concrete walls, usually larger).

Other type are unit subs, all metal sides and sit on the ground and usually all green. They both do the same thing, convert 10/20kv to 400v which in turn feeds the mini pillars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Working Girl,

As Davy mentioned below, this is most likely an Electricial Substation. ESB Networks are responsible for these and they have safety information on their website here. On the website, it mentions that one of the main dangers when children play on a substation is the risk that they will fall off and injure themselves so children should be kept away from them at all times.

If you have any further queries, you can contact ESB Networks here.

Many thanks
    Chris

Advertisement