Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics needs another moderator

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Don't treat me like an idiot, for I am not one.

The use of in-jokes in any public forum creates the impression of different categories of participant: those who are "in" and those who are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Or it could lead to confusion. I remember psni had a tagline which read colluding. We were up in arms. Turns out it was an in joke between him and dev based on one of devs taglines(or something like that).

So they are probably best kept off threads as people wont know they are jokes so you have to explain. And having to explain jokes sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

P.Breathnach if you feel excluded or like an outsider I of course apolgise that you got that impression but again I'll point out this is not the Politics forum and it doesn't operate under it's charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

gandalf wrote: »
    P.Breathnach if you feel excluded or like an outsider I of course apolgise that you got that impression but again I'll point out this is not the Politics forum and it doesn't operate under it's charter.

I know where I am posting.

I think the "don't be a dick" guideline applies throughout boards.

As a politics mod, I would totally allow that post!

(In a forum that's not politics...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Or it could lead to confusion. I remember psni had a tagline which read colluding. We were up in arms. Turns out it was an in joke between him and dev based on one of devs taglines(or something like that).

So they are probably best kept off threads as people wont know they are jokes so you have to explain. And having to explain jokes sucks.

I would respectfully suggest that provocative signatures and 'kerb-painting' be also treated in a similar fashion.

I would respectfully suggest that provocative signatures and 'kerb-painting' be also treated in a similar fashion.
    Your avatar is someone having a dump. I hardly think you are one to comment.

I will have Bobby Sands, or Wolfe Tone etc in my sig if I want to. It is not doing any harm.

Your avatar is someone having a dump. I hardly think you are one to comment.

I will have Bobby Sands, or Wolfe Tone etc in my sig if I want to. It is not doing any harm.

Not doing any harm now , right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Someone linking to a rebel song in their sig is hardly provocative. They're just nailing their colours to the mast. There's no real issue with sigs so long as they aren't attacking another poster or breaking some other forum rule.

nesf wrote: »
    Someone linking to a rebel song in their sig is hardly provocative. They're just nailing their colours to the mast. There's no real issue with sigs so long as they aren't attacking another poster or breaking some other forum rule.
    I wouldnt really describe the poem I have linked as a typical rebel song really(not a fan of that type of music really). More of a lament, particularly relevant in these times.

I doubt that is what he was referring to. Most probably my old sigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I wouldnt really describe the poem I have linked as a typical rebel song really(not a fan of that type of music really). More of a lament, particularly relevant in these times.

I doubt that is what he was referring to. Most probably my old sigs.

Meh, honestly so long as you aren't insulting other users or groups in your sig, you're fine. Unless you put up a sig calling for support for the killers of Gardai or anything. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    It's also Marquis de Riscal not du..........as an aside!

Not to mention the savagery that was done to Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

On-topic, I'd just like to say that I don't think anyone is trying to suggest that there weren't mistakes made.

Without giving away secrets (like the contents of the mods' wine cellar), the "staff issue" sorta krept up on us. Things were fine, and we considered whether or not we needed more mods from time to time, and concluded we didn't. Then one day someone noticed that we had slipped up.

We got it wrong. We're working not just to fix it, but to improve things.

I say "we" from both my second stint as Politics mod until recently, and also (to a degree) as an admin.

What's important, though, is that we get the fix right. Feedback is good...but lets not get at each others' throats here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a left wing capitalist nazi communist scumbag apparently.

Aren't you also a nationalist-hating unionist-hating nationalist unionist....and a conservative liberal to boot?

If not, then gandalf may really have a point about slipping standards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Theres a facility for reporting signatures, I suggest using it for ones that offend your sensibilities.

I note that this is the second thread in feedback you've used to snipe at users of the politics board, despite being banned from politics due to your behaviour.

Nodin wrote: »
    Theres a facility for reporting signatures, I suggest using it for ones that offend your sensibilities.

I note that this is the second thread in feedback you've used to snipe at users of the politics board, despite being banned from politics due to your behaviour.

Yes that is true, I am banned from Politics, however I would suggest that that embarrassment is not a reason why I cannot contribute to other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I stand corrected: apparently I'm a west Brit shinner. I feel better already.

You got confused with being a shinner? :confused::confused:

How?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You got confused with being a shinner? :confused::confused:

How?
    I reprimanded someone for harping on about the IRA in a thread about Sinn Féin. And, as everyone knows, Politics moderators only act on posters who disagree with their political views.

:|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I stand corrected: apparently I'm a west Brit shinner. I feel better already.

Wait 5 minutes, you'll probably be called a hardcore IRA man too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

GuanYin wrote: »
    Wait 5 minutes, you'll probably be called a hardcore IRA man too.
    I thought you were dead!

Overheal wrote: »
    I thought you were dead!

Really??!

Weird!

Umm, why?

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    Really??!

Weird!

Umm, why?
    It just seems like you havent been around that much the last few months. Your post history agrees ;)

Overheal wrote: »
    It just seems like you havent been around that much the last few months. Your post history agrees ;)

yes, but "dead" is a bit drastic, dontcha think?

Probably :o no I didn't think you were "Dead" but it was a noticeable absence.

Advertisement