Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics needs another moderator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah guys, sorry about it but there's been a nasty convergence of real life problems between the mods.

On my part, well I've made no secret on here about me having bipolar, and I've been in a depression these past few months meaning less energy for boards. Nothing much I can do about it to be honest.

Get well soon Nesf, I just wanted to say fair play to ya for actually "having" Bipolar disorder and Depression ie. stating it as plain and straightforward fact.

- I just feel that maybe if more People actually "had it", dealt with it and left it kicked and beaten behind them Society wouldn't have such stupid hang ups over such common everyday illnesses, seems to be a little hushed and hidden for some unfortunate reason which can't help at all.

Best of luck anyhow ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Raiser wrote: »
    Get well soon Nesf, I just wanted to say fair play to ya for actually "having" Bipolar disorder and Depression ie. stating it as plain and straightforward fact.
    QFT. As an off topic aside Nesf, your handling of this in your life and reading about you and your condition in another thread on this site has been nothing less than an education and more, an inspiration. You're a pretty special bunny.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

For what it's worth, I'd happily help moderate Politics, if I'd be seen as a decent choice.
    I'm active in the Politics forum (my favourite forum on Boards) and I'm tied to a computer these days so would have the time to keep an eye on things.
    I've been a mod of the sometimes-flammable World War II forum before) so I have an idea of moderating.

Not sure if the same rules apply here as for the Forum Request section (Requesting to be a moderator of a forum you've suggested more or less disqualifies you) but just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I would be in favour of kickoutthejams for a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For what it's worth, I'd happily help moderate Politics, if I'd be seen as a decent choice.
    I'm active in the Politics forum (my favourite forum on Boards) and I'm tied to a computer these days so would have the time to keep an eye on things.
    I've been a mod of the sometimes-flammable World War II forum before) so I have an idea of moderating.

Not sure if the same rules apply here as for the Forum Request section (Requesting to be a moderator of a forum you've suggested more or less disqualifies you) but just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Hmm, a card carrying bearded leftie on the team....

This will need to be discussed.. :D

• Advertisement

We could do with a leftie to balance politics ;)

kickoutthejams for mod.

Hmm, a card carrying bearded leftie on the team....

This will need to be discussed.. :D
    Long term member of the Labour Party:pac: (My posts usually revolve around the need for a regulated market combined with a focus on jobs, pro-Europe and a strong welfare state)
    And if I was considered suitable for the job, I'd see my value in my own interests (and the threads I am attracted to which would enable me to keep an eye on them). I wouldn't be there as a mod for the left, but as a mod for all.

For the record, I'm also clean shaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dlofnep wrote: »
    We could do with a leftie to balance politics ;)

kickoutthejams for mod.

Wait...am I classified as right-wing now? I'd consider myself a regulated-market social democrat. And not clean-shaven - not for nearly 30 years now.

evidently misrepresented,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Wait...am I classified as right-wing now?

You're not. I always viewed you as playing a centrist role in politics. You're not on the forum as often as you used to be, with the exception of moderating it - so I hadn't really placed you on either side to be honest.

My post was a little tongue in cheek. I wasn't trying to start up a debate on the political spectrum of politic's moderating team :)

I was completely unaware of Scofflaw's politics (aside from a Green/pro-Europe bent) until he started posting on that libertarianism thread.
    Until then, he kept his cards close to his chest.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nah, nesf and I are the capitalist swine of the moderator team. And GuanYin, bless her cotton socks, is a Republican of the American variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I was completely unaware of Scofflaw's politics (aside from a Green/pro-Europe bent) until he started posting on that libertarianism thread.
    Until then, he kept his cards close to his chest.

To be fair, there's not as much need for someone with my views to air them, except contra libertarianianism - after all, we live in a largely pragmatic regulated-market social democratic society. As long as policy stays within that broad central channel, the exact details usually don't matter very much to me - and the internecine party-political warfare stuff I mostly find ridiculous. Also, to a very large degree I see Irish politics as a fair representation of Irish society - the people really do get what the majority of them vote for - so the whole "the Republic is broken, we have no democracy" schtick doesn't really do anything for me either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

To be fair, there's not as much need for someone with my views to air them, except contra libertarianianism - after all, we live in a largely pragmatic regulated-market social democratic society. As long as policy stays within that broad central channel, the exact details usually don't matter very much to me - and the internecine party-political warfare stuff I mostly find ridiculous. Also, to a very large degree I see Irish politics as a fair representation of Irish society - the people really do get what the majority of them vote for - so the whole "the Republic is broken, we have no democracy" schtick doesn't really do anything for me either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Sincere apologies,, I didn't mean for it to sound like you need to air your political views. Was meant in a more general sense (you speak on issues which interest you, Europe and green issues, which aren't tied to any ideology. So I was interested to see some of your other views. I like when the Politics forum regulars reveal a bit more about themselves, especially the representatives on the Paul GOgarty thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nah, nesf and I are the capitalist swine of the moderator team. And GuanYin, bless her cotton socks, is a Republican of the American variety.

I'm not really a capitalist, more of a pragmatist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

TBH I dont care what a mod believes if they have the ability to put them beliefs aside for the purposes of modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I'm not really a capitalist
    Banned for heresy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I'm not really a capitalist, more of a pragmatist. :D

Pragmatism is in the eye of the beholder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmmm..... can't see anything wrong with the modding in Politics myself.

Seems like a certain coterie like to use the forum as a means to broadcast their particular brand of nationalism or political outlook.

Like, our view is correct, and everyone who takes a different and more sensible view, is a 'muppet' and a 'troll'.

Would appear that a certain core seem to, for reasons best known to themselves ,align themselves with the perceived 'underdog' and use the Forum to spam their views and 'beliefs' to as wide an audience as they can.

They shy away from niche forums as they know that only the hardcore merchants reside there and of course no use preaching to the converted;)

So folks, nothing at all wrong with politics, don't be afraid to air your view, these lads will try to have you dancing on the head of a pin, but a little cop on soon puts them in their place.

Your opinion and view is as valid as anyone else's:D

• Advertisement

That has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I think it's at the heart of the issue in hand.

The issue is that Scofflaw seems to be doing a lot on his tod(due to a variety of reasons), and reported posts are not dealt with quick enough to prevent thread derailment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FB, we've acknowledged that there's an issue and we're dealing with it.

I think it's at the heart of the issue in hand.

No, the issue at hand is a select few posters who routinely pop into threads to interject with a sly line or two with intent of taking the thread off-topic. And more often or not, they succeed - as there are not enough moderator's on politics to deal with reported posts in a timely manner, so by the time they do get to the thread, they are forced to close it.

As for "spamming" any views - It's a discussion forum. People are naturally going to discuss issues that are of interest to them. If you have an issue with any posts - you're more than welcome to debate the issues, rather than engage in ad-hominem driven rhetoric. Unfortunately, more often than not - you spend more time attacking the character of posters rather than offering a rebuttal to their points.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67849128#post67849128
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67732493#post67732493
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67687493#post67687493
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64705224
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62932172

Are you seeing the trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Short individual answer to the original issue: I've been away for a few weeks lately due to personal stuff, which has presumably been a factor to some degree. I've been easing back in.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    FB, we've acknowledged that there's an issue and we're dealing with it.

I hear you barking, Big Dog.

Any update on this lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep any news on this. Seems to very light on the ground with moderators tonight again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Also, to a very large degree I see Irish politics as a fair representation of Irish society - the people really do get what the majority of them vote for
    They get their pot holes fixed and fences mended? Irish politics is the warped result of the single transferable vote system, nobody votes for parties and policies, they vote for the guy that takes care of same because of that system. To say that its a fair representation of Irish society is a real eyebrow riser from a mod of the politics forum.

Yes, I'd support the call for a new mod. Clarification: not because Scofflaw is doing a bad job by the way, on the contrary, but I guarantee the political forums are going to get really busy over the next year.

Advertisement