Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Our Trees! 200+ Years old. Clonsilla D15.

Options
  • 16-10-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭

A good number of our huge 200+ year old trees are for the chop over next two weeks - 1 gone already... :(

Clonsilla Village D15

Photos etc here
    http://www.castlefieldwoods.com/trees

Please sign the ipetition linked to on that page and let anyone who you think might be interested know.

- also any suggestions please post here.

Thanks all....

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

200 years is a good age for a tree, and depending on the species it may well be time for them to go.
    I hate to see any tree go, but sometimes they've just got to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ozmo wrote: »
    A good number of our huge 200+ year old trees are for the chop over next two weeks - 1 gone already... :(

Clonsilla Village D15

Photos etc here
    http://www.castlefieldwoods.com/trees

Please sign the ipetition linked to on that page and let anyone who you think might be interested know.

- also any suggestions please post here.

Thanks all....

what is the reason for the removal??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Some fungal infection I think.

The trees in Castlefield are magnificent specimens, they look A OK but who am I to argue with some guy from the council.

Cutting down trees unneccessarily is my pet hate. Every time I look at an old tree I just think of everything that it has seen.

I know they cant see but to me they are like ancient stationary whales.

If I am not mistaken, in ancient Ireland cutting down a tree was as bad as killing some one.

Its sad.

These trees must be there since Lohunda House was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Merch wrote: »
    what is the reason for the removal??

They have to use up the budget for the year, or the budget will be reduced next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well if they are deemed unsafe then cut them down, but if there is no other good reason they should stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

signed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Well if they are deemed unsafe then cut them down, but if there is no other good reason they should stay.

Thanks guys - problem is we had just one guy from Fingal coming by one day. Took out a white chalk spray and marked a few trees.
    Said some fungus was present.

So we have only one council officials opinion - from a 2 minute glance at the trees.

We are just asking for a full and proper recorded assessment of them to be made.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A two second glance at the photos tells me at least two of the trees should be removed immediately.
    Council may have it right on this occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Signed.

If the council are so keen on cutting things down, they should have cut the grass in the Millenium park during the summer so we could play ball with our kids.

Maybe they realised they saved too much money by not cutting the grass and needed to spend the money saved so they could get the same amount next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They are cutting trees in the Phoenix park at the moment for some reason. Some illness is killing the trees and I assume spreading. I saw a huge branch fall from a tree just as I passed one day recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement