Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new additions

Options
  • 16-10-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi all
    getting our new additions 2 miniature jack russels(boy and a girl) ready in 3weeks:D so excited:D but I know it's gonna be hard work.
    Any of ye got any good tips on how to settle them in? and good rearing tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Since there's two of them they will possibly settle in better having each other to snuggle up to. Snugglesafe heat pads are great for a bit of heat at night, the heat from it just seems to calm them I find.

Definetly invest in chew toys esp. puppy kongs and some red kongs and then a couple of black kongs later on because for a little dog they are great at chewing.
    Petstages toys are brilliant too for the early stages and teething.

Mop and bucket is great with a puppy friendly cleaner like a big of fairly liquid and vinegar, avoid bleach or other harsher chemicals on the floor if possible.

2 pups at the same time is great so they can run about together and they'll tire each other out but def. have both spayed and neutered between 5 and 6 months it will save a lot of hassle in the long run.

You can get couplers for the lead where you can attach the two of them to one lead, it can make it easier for walkies.
    Id tags (check out identitag.com brilliant long lasting tags) is required by law and dog licences.
    zooplus.co.uk is great for puppy stuff and if you want to go all out for fancy collars mollys.ie has lovely stuff for the smaller breed. I love their baby blue and baby pink collars.

If you have a puppy class near by it's worth taking them, having two at the same time can lead to some problems sometimes depending on their personalities so it might be worth attending classes for more tips on training etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but isnt there something about getting pups the same age and it being bad for them especially siblings? Think its called litter mate syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but isnt there something about getting pups the same age and it being bad for them especially siblings? Think its called litter mate syndrome?
    good breeders will not usually rehome 2 pups from same litter. Apparently the pups bond more with each other than they will do to the humans. Also there can be trouble when they get older, lots of fighting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Its sibling aggression, and it can be a serious problem. From what I know of it though, its a lot worse between two males than two females but can still be a problem. Are both pups from the same litter, cos its something that may become a problem once they've reached sexual maturity. Of course, they bond more with each other as well than their owner so that's another thing to consider.

On the advice about rearing them though, the one thing i would definitely reccommend is a good quality dried puppy food from the very beginning. Dont bother with the wet/canned food unless its got at least 60% meat in it. Raw liver is very good for the immune system too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

So update...There was only two puppies in the litter and the bitch died last night :(:( really gutted...... I still want to take the dog but he will need a companion as we are away from the house for at least 6hours every day!!

Would it be ok to pair him with an older puppy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ashblag wrote: »
    So update...There was only two puppies in the litter and the bitch died last night :(:( really gutted...... I still want to take the dog but he will need a companion as we are away from the house for at least 6hours every day!!

Would it be ok to pair him with an older puppy?

Sorry to hear the bitch died. I would concentrate on just rasing the one pup for the time being. Take two or three weeks off to settle your new pup into a rountine, after about a year I'd think about getting him a companion. Just to add though if you will be away for 6 hours, someone will need to let him out to go to the toilet as a young pup can't hold it for 6 hours. If this in not possible I would look at get not getting a puppy but an older house trained dog instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Both puppies I was going to buy have now died.

On reflection,and in my situation, I have decided to rescue 2 older doggies. They're house trained and neutered already

One is 2years old the other 2 1/2 years. Both males are mongrels(terrier cross) but the cutest most laid back things I've ever seen, love at first sight:D

Pending a house check should have them in a week:D:D:D

Will put up some pics when they're here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Though I think you've made the right descision, it is a shame the two pups you were going to take died. Best of luck with the new dogs, I hope they bring you years of joy :)

Advertisement