Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Flower Lodge have a capacity of 26,000 when Cork Hibs played there ??

Options
  • 17-10-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

My Dad has often told me that he used to go to Flower Lodge to watch Cork Hibs when he was studying at U.C.C in the 60s.The wikipedia entry for the club says the ground had a capacity of 26,000.Is this correct ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

More or less. It was all standing back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Yep definetly, Cork Hibs and Cork Celtic derby's often pulled crowds of upto 30000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I went to see Ireland and Liverpool play there ('86 I think)- to me as a young fella it seemed it had the capacity of Croke park!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

CHealy wrote: »
    Yep definetly, Cork Hibs and Cork Celtic derby's often pulled crowds of upto 30000

I did not know that.If there were in the not too distant future a strong professional soccer team based in Cork do you think it would attract crowds of between 26,000-30,000 or what would be realistic in terms of fanbase/attendances ? How popular is Association Football in Cork City & County ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

wexfordia wrote: »
    I did not know that.If there were in the not too distant future a strong professional soccer team based in Cork do you think it would attract crowds of between 26,000-30,000 or what would be realistic in terms of fanbase/attendances ? How popular is Association Football in Cork City & County ?

Football used to be huge in Cork back in the day 'cos Ford had a team and, when the salary cap was in place in England, players could come and get huge wages playing for teams in Ireland. That's why you had the likes of Dixie Dean playing for Sligo Rovers, “Raich” Carter for Cork Athletic and Bobby Tambling for Cork Celtic.

Then in later years you had the old retirement circut that saw Best, Marsh, Banks, Hurst, Charlton etc all play in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

That would have been before the dominance of Sky Sports and televised sport. It wasn't so long ago that Sky Sports wouldn't show games on Saturday afternoons as the English FA thought it would reduce match attendances, and it did in the lower leagues but not in the top divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 odhuill

Is flower lodge still used as football grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

odhuill wrote: »
    Is flower lodge still used as football grounds

It is now a GAA stadium - Páirc Uí Rinn, first GAA stadium with floodlights (bit of trivia for you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 odhuill

murphym7 wrote: »
    It is now a GAA stadium - Páirc Uí Rinn, first GAA stadium with floodlights (bit of trivia for you!)

Thanks for the info

Advertisement