Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dail Question

Options
  • 17-10-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Not sure if anyone is still interested but I see the question of how many handguns are licenced here came up in the Dail recently and Minister Ahern fobbed it off again. At least he didn't read out that pre-prepared speech he usually wheels out whenever he is asked anything even remotely related to guns.

Dail Written Answers on 12 Oct 2010

Lucinda Creighton (Dublin South East, Fine Gael)

Question 374: To ask the Minister for Justice and Law Reform the number of handguns currently licensed here; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [36522/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)

I have requested from the Garda authorities the information sought and I will write to the Deputy when it is available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68506898&postcount=524

:D

The deputy will pass on the information, and has tabled a more detailed question for us as well.

(also, moving this to shooting because there's a No Politics rule in the target shooting forum charter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)

I can now inform the Deputy that to date (valid to 11th October 2010), there have been 998 Firearm Certificates issued under the provisions of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 2009 in respect of handguns, 599 of which are classified as non-restricted handguns, with 389 classified as restricted handguns.

While the Act did provide in certain circumstances for the issuing of licenses for restricted handguns which were in the possession of persons prior to the 19th of November 2008, no licenses can be issued in respect of new restricted handguns after that date.

I'm racking my brains to figure out how I differ to the 389 (fair play to them) who have got their restricted handgun licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Chipboard have you a link to this answer please

Chipboard have you a link to this answer please

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69019444&postcount=530

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

[QUOTE=Chipboard;69021819
    I'm racking my brains to figure out how I differ to the 389 (fair play to them) who have got their restricted handgun licences.[/QUOTE]
    I'd imagine the majority are held for humane dispatch, security reasons and other reasons that are not recreational / sport shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

i think you'll find your address is the primary deciding factor on whether or not you get licensed.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

demonloop wrote: »
    I'd imagine the majority are held for humane dispatch, security reasons and other reasons that are not recreational / sport shooting
    What other reasons could you have for getting a restricted handgun? didnt think they were aloud for security reasons

They are allowed for sporting reasons if you had a licence for that particular firearm before Nov 17 2008. That's where the bulk of the 389 are coming from, I would wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd wager that a very small number are for humane dispatch, and none for personal security.

I'd wager that a very small number are for humane dispatch, and none for personal security.
    Thought the same lad i would say you'd win that bet

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

:( I meant a link on the Court/Government site? ..................................

Thought the same lad i would say you'd win that bet

I reckon you'd loose if a story I heard is true and I reckon the person that told me would know ;)

I reckon you'd loose if a story I heard is true and I reckon the person that told me would know ;)
    Do share bunny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Speculation and Rumour mongering.

Some people never learn.

B'Man

:( I meant a link on the Court/Government site? ..................................
    Here, near the top of the page, question (and answer) 202.

Do share bunny

As I said, I heard a story, and the story teller is a credible person IMHO. I won't repeat it here as it is a 'sensitive' subject ;)
    Bananaman wrote: »
    Speculation and Rumour mongering.

Are you calling me and/or the person who told the story a liar?

How do you know it's "Speculation and Rumour mongering"? You don't even know what the story was ;)
    Bananaman wrote: »
    Some people never learn.

B'Man

Don't be so hard on yourself ;)

Just because you haven't the proof doesn't mean it doesn't exist ;)

If you had it you'd probably want to edit & compile it before you showed it to anyone :P

And if you are inferring that the "List" I mentioned here previously was a rumour and scaremongering how do you explain the contents of the current "list"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Did a politician who moved from the north to the south a number of years ago have a pistol licensed for personal protection?

@Bunny.....Ah yeah i no what ya mean lad, i remember something about it before on here alright

And if you are inferring that the "List" I mentioned here previously was a rumour and scaremongering how do you explain the contents of the current "list"?
    /facepalm
    This again? FFS BS...

/facepalm
    This again? FFS BS...

I'm taking your advice from another thread...........moving on, but not forgetting the past ................ oh ya, and he started it :p

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Did a politician who moved from the north to the south a number of years ago have a pistol licensed for personal protection?

That as well :D

Under the legisaltion you have to provide a "good reason" and it has to satisfy the Super of Chief Super as being a good reason. It doesn't state it has to be target shooting .............................

I'm taking your advice from another thread...........moving on, but not forgetting the past ................ oh ya, and he started it :p
    I wish you would (not forget the past) - you'd also remember that everyone from the DoJ to the NTSA to the IPSA said the rumour was rubbish...

I wish you would (not forget the past) - you'd also remember that everyone from the DoJ to the NTSA to the IPSA said the rumour was rubbish...

Hard to believe that now :rolleyes: considering some of what I seen ;) but then again the IMF etc isn't happeing either :P

Ah here, let's not go there again ;)

considering some of what I seen ;)
    Which, of course, we can never be told about :rolleyes:

I mean, I've seen documents that say you personally shot JFK from the grassy knoll, but I could never show them to anyone. Honest. Wanna buy a bridge?

Which, of course, we can never be told about :rolleyes:

Never is such a long time ;)
    I mean, I've seen documents that say you personally shot JFK from the grassy knoll, but I could never show them to anyone.

:eek: just goes to show you can trust nobody to keep a secret :mad:
    Honest. Wanna buy a bridge?

Didn't the Yanks do that? :D Bought London Bridge thinking they were buying Tower Bridge :D

Bridges are man made and always prone to collapse :p

Didn't the Yanks do that? :D Bought London Bridge thinking they were buying Tower Bridge :D
    Bridges are man made and always prone to collapse :p

See, this is precisely what I'm talking about. First off, the "buy a bridge" idiom refers to the Brooklyn Bridge; and secondly, no, the Yanks didn't buy the wrong bridge, that's an urban legend - McCulloch knew exactly what he was buying, and even a single google search would show you that. But why let the facts ruin a good story, eh?

..............But why let the facts ruin a good story, eh?

Exactly :D

Or if a lie is told often enough and people subsequentially believe it, it no longer is a lie, maybe?

Advertisement