Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Singapore for a few months

Options
  • 17-10-2010 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I know I'm a little geographically out with where I'm posting this but thought that there may be a few here who have stayed/worked in Singapore at some stage. I'm working in Oz at the moment but have the possibility of a few months work in Singapore in the new year. I know very little about the place really and was wondering if anyone has done this and what their thoughts were on the experience? Would it be a good idea? Any insights welcome! Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I worked in Singapore for a wee while and it was excellent!. Extremely nice people and possibly one of the cleanest cities I have been to though is very expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to go, its a culture shock at first but it quickly grows on you :)

The only thing you would really need to think about is the job itself. Are you going as a contractor or is your company sending you?. The major worry I would have is accommodation, its very very hard to find it and can cost you a small fortune. (http://www.rentinsingapore.com/current_rental_market_rates)

If your company are sending you and arranging somewhere to stay for you then go for it. Otherwise I would research it very carefully. Also if you are a contractor make sure to look into tax requirements carefully.

Like I said if your company are sending you then go for it, otherwise take a very good look at how much you are getting paid against the cost of living because its definitely not cheap, but I would say go for it!. Great place to spend a few months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Hi Paidi did you ever make it to Singapore? I'm in th same boat, possibility of some contract work there. Would be interested to know what Singapore is like, if it's as expensive as everyone says, is it boring or is there craic to be had...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I'm gonna move this to the travel/work forum, as you might get more answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Travel is for holiday/recreational stuff!

Moved to living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

sorry randomer. havent been on here in ages. didn't move there yet but spoke a few others that did live there for a while and were really positive about the place. could do worse than spend a while there by all accounts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement