Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish mobile networks: best value for smartphone (prepay)

Options
  • 17-10-2010 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I have an unlocked samsung galaxy s android smartphone and I have moved to Spain for a few months and need to pick out a good prepay plan that includes data.

I called into a small movistar (o2's sister company) and I was basically told in no uncertain terms that NO Spanish network does prepay data! I find this rather hard to believe to be quite honest.

Does anyone have advice on which network to go with. There are only 3 infrastructure-owning networks, but there are a load of MVNOs now too.

Suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Look here:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/spain.html

There is info on "data calls" for every operator. Looks like Orange and Yoigo may have something similar to the Irish 99c for up to 50MB offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I think vodafone do something similar to here. Be warned. Spanish tarriffs are more expensive than irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Thanks for that link! Very handy!

The Phone House (Carphone Warehouse) seem to do a MVNO called "Happy Móvil". The rates seem pretty decent and €1 / day internet. It's also only about 6cent / min back to Ireland and the UK.

I was pretty shocked at the "take it or leave it" attitude from Movistar (Telefonica). The lady in the shop basically told me that "the Spanish mobile network is a little bit obsolete because of "the crisis" and that they don't do things like prepaid internet... maybe in 4 or 5 years?":eek::confused:

I think the lesson learnt is : to stay away from former monopolists i.e. Telefonica/Movistar!

Maybe, I just picked the wrong store. I wanted a mobile number before Sunday and the only one near-by was a small outlet in a major railway terminal. Kiosk-sized shop. Maybe she was just sick of dealing with tourists looking for prepay :)

It's surprising, as their subsidiary in Ireland i.e. O2, is very progressive by comparison, even if they're a little on the pricy side.

I left the shop thinking I would be stuck with an android mobile that can only call and text!

Happy Móvil, here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

O2 progressive? Hahaha. They seem to have inherited their prepay data attitude from their spanish parent.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit optimistic about O2 being progressive lol

Movistar seem to just not be interested in prepay customers at all though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So heading to Spain monday just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pre-pay sim, want to stick it in my iphone mostly checking the likes of twitter gmail rte,bbc app

Thanks

So heading to Spain monday just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pre-pay sim, want to stick it in my iphone mostly checking the likes of twitter gmail rte,bbc app

Thanks

For data and calls to Ireland, the phone house's HappyMovil is the best by a huge factor.

You will need your passport and a valid spanish address to purchase a SIM card in Spain btw

Info:

http://www.happymovil.es/content.aspx?co=720&t=21&c=2

Bear in mind that you sometimes need to buy a "bono" for certain features when you top up. Basically, it's just a top up option which you ask for at the shop.

In Spain topping up is usually not done with vouchers. Instead, you give your 9-digit mobile number to the shop keeper, and they key it into the credit card machine and it does the top-up online.

Otherwise, you can top up on an ATM, but you typically need a Spanish ATM card.

Advertisement