Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is behind the councils reluctance in letting Tesco come to Kilkenny

Options
  • 17-10-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Who is behind the council's reluctance in letting Tesco come to Kilkenny, when at least 70% of the electorate want it, who controls who, lets have a referendum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I believe Malcom Noonan is the spearhead.

Where did you get this 70% figure, I wasn't asked and I haven't heard of any survey. Produce a link or something backing this up or frig off.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

maybe we should have a poll and see who wants tesco in kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Who is behind the council's reluctance in letting Tesco come to Kilkenny, when at least 70% of the electorate want it, who controls who, lets have a referendum

70% of them want cheaper margarine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is the Dunnes Stores/Supervalu cartel that don't want them.

So is Malcom funded by Dunnes etc to object to competition?

• Advertisement

Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    So is Malcom funded by Dunnes etc to object to competition?

Yea, I read this loon saying lately on the paper KK had "more than enough supermarkets". Compared to any town of it's size KK lacks at least a Tesco and ALDI. Just because it doesn't fit with his own ideologies doesn't mean the rest of us should be deprived of choice or have to pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

this lot and this lot and maybe this lot too

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

this lot and this lot and maybe this lot too

:pac:

Thanks for that. Now I can sort out my online shopping without having to search for links. You forgot Eurospar though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Much as I'd like to see a Tesco in Kilkenny, I reckon the boat has been missed on this one. Sure, it would be great to have some badly needed jobs but is there really enough money floating around to support another supermarket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

:rolleyes:
    catbear wrote: »
    I believe Malcom Noonan is the spearhead.
    As you are aware no one is carrying out a poll, but it is the same as I can tell you 20% of the population or thereabouts is left handed, no poll, ask and you will find, with shopping unless you have had the Tesco experience then you have no idea, and as the shoppers in Kilkenny can't ubnless they are prepared to travel one goes about assessing it in another way, ask people read the boards people are not happy with what we have in Kilkenny, that is why both Aldi and Lidl are increasing there customer percentages, saying find a link or frig off is not very helpfull is it, put it this way everyone I know who goes to Tesco say if only we had one in Kilkenny, I have friends who are english and they tell us about ASDA and Morrisons, we have been ripped off we thought L &N was the bees knees,
    ever tried shopping in Costcutter or Londis or Mace, do some homework and you will find my figure is low, but thanks anyway
    Where did you get this 70% figure, I wasn't asked and I haven't heard of any survey. Produce a link or something backing this up or frig off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Kilkenny is the only county in Ireland that doesn't have a Tesco it's crazy. Tesco would be brilliant in Kilkenny :D

:rolleyes:
    Foxy, could you fix your last post as you've mixed up my your response with my quote. Tah.

By the way, I'd rather lose one Dunnes to gain a Tesco but I do hate people pulling out statistics without supplying a source. Making up numbers is Fianna Fail and the Greens responsibility and see what it's done for them. Sorry if my phrase was uncouth but my frustration with bull****ters is at a low.

If you wish to fight for change you must establish some creditability and perhaps starting your own "Tesco for Kilkenny" poll is a good start.

Your English friends might also tell you that voluntary consumer groups are very active in Britain and they too started small before they got clout!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Can someone tell me what the advantage it would be to have tesco in kilkenny? I work in carlow a good bit and often drop in, but except for special offers i cant see the attraction!! many items i usually buy in dunnes i find to be more expensive (brand names) and in fairness tesco value range is more often than not absolute dirt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

On average for a Tesco Extra store which is what they would plan to build in Kilkenny they employ on average 236 people i am sure people in Kilkenny would love one of those jobs which are much needed. I travel weekly to Clonmel to shop in Tesco and have often meet people from Kilkenny I also know many of my friends who live in callan and surrounding areas who travel to Clonmel or Carlow to shop. I spend 200 - 250 weekly on groceries etc in Tesco Clonmel wouldnt that money be better spent in Kilkenny and for Tesco to buy local produce which they do despite what Malcom Noonan says. Apart from that Kilkenny peple should have choice if other businesses such as supervalu, dunnes etc were offering true valu they wouldnt mind tesco coming into the market. You do have to ask what is Kilkenny the only county without one are the simply not willing to pay big brown envelopes or whats the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

mfitzy wrote: »
    Just because it doesn't fit with his own ideologies doesn't mean the rest of us should be deprived of choice or have to pay more.

Is this consistant in all of the green party. John Gormley has brought through some policies based on his Dublin 4 life .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

mousehouse wrote: »
    On average for a Tesco Extra store which is what they would plan to build in Kilkenny they employ on average 236 people i am sure people in Kilkenny would love one of those jobs which are much needed. I travel weekly to Clonmel to shop in Tesco and have often meet people from Kilkenny I also know many of my friends who live in callan and surrounding areas who travel to Clonmel or Carlow to shop. I spend 200 - 250 weekly on groceries etc in Tesco Clonmel wouldnt that money be better spent in Kilkenny and for Tesco to buy local produce which they do despite what Malcom Noonan says. Apart from that Kilkenny peple should have choice if other businesses such as supervalu, dunnes etc were offering true valu they wouldnt mind tesco coming into the market. You do have to ask what is Kilkenny the only county without one are the simply not willing to pay big brown envelopes or whats the story.

Tesco is one of the main reasons farmers in ireland have to be subsidised so heavily. They buy local produce, yes, but at such a low price its not viable to produce it and the eu have to intervene to ensure people continue to produce food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Why blame Tesco? These subsidies were being paid long before Tesco operated here.

I was opposed to Tesco coming to Callan because of the small shop keepers and Supervalu, but look the small shop keepers charge over the top, it might be said they have to, and as for the supermarket, best left out. We shop in Clonmel sometimes Carlow or even New Ross and we also get Tesco on line delivery every week, how nice it would be to spend that money in Kilkenny, as usual it is rip off Kilkenny with it's high priced farmers market. Malcolm get off your high horse we are not all as rich as you, and as for the comment about farmer's the so called Irish stores don't even buy Irish, French Scottish Dutch so come off it, live in our world where every penny counts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a contradiction there, on the one hand you want the farmers market selling Irish produce to stop operating and on the other you're complaining about Irish shops selling foreign produce. If the people want to over pay for products in a farmers market, surely that's their choice. No business should be forced into selling at a certain price, that's anticompetitive.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Foxy, Malcolm's Green politics may be compromised by their incompetence but monetary greed was never their aim, that's FF, FG, IFA, etc...

The Greens goal is ideological which is far more dangerous as they'll condone unfettered greed, as with the cover job that is NAMA and the bank guarantee, in order to achieve their ideals. Remember Mary White telling us a year and a half ago that we have to move on and Sue Nunn just lapped it up. No one is lapping it up now. It's still with us and we are now paying other peoples gambling debts of the property bubble.

And Foxy, without competition shops will charge whatever you are willing to pay. Whether you grumble or not, it matters not to them as long as you protect them by opposing competition. You are your own worst enemy.

Only you can protect you from yourself! If you're every penny did matter, then you'd welcome Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

ssshhhhhh this is top secret but i know from my sources that a certain supermarket makes donations to the local council every year to assist the local infastructure now this supermarket cant b named by me for obvious reasons but i might leave a little clue for everyone here
    think of a breed of dog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

ssshhhhhh this is top secret but i know from my sources that a certain supermarket makes donations to the local council every year to assist the local infastructure now this supermarket cant b named by me for obvious reasons but i might leave a little clue for everyone here
    think of a breed of dog

"Dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi..."

Come on!

All. Council accounts are audited and available for inspection-
    So I suggest you and your source go up to the Garda station and give them the information you have. If nothing comes of it on inspection you have nothing to fear, However making wild insunations against "the local authority" will only get you and your source involved in some serious legal issues.

well thanks to all of you what a magnificent response, so if there is a brown envelope involved how does it go through the council books, we have too long to wait for an election, suggestions as how we can rattle this mob in John st to doing something, we now get a regular weekly visit from tesco and they appreciate the extra jobs home delivery gives, perhaps we can carry this on many thanks foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

Foxcoverteddy - Do you work for Tesco?

I'm inclined to think that Tesco may no longer be interested in Kilkenny. Surely with two lidls and an Aldi opening soon, any market share would be diluted further. I think Kilkenny may have missed the Tesco boat. Unless Dunnes go bust.

Unless Dunnes go bust.
    We can only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Haddockman wrote: »
    We can only hope.

And lose thousands of jobs around the country?

• Advertisement

The country is fecked anyways. I personally despise everything Dunnes stands for.

Advertisement