Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who is behind the councils reluctance in letting Tesco come to Kilkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Haddockman wrote: »
    The country is fecked anyways. I personally despise everything Dunnes stands for.

And 16,000 more on the dole wouldn't make a difference?:rolleyes:

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

bloopy wrote: »
    Foxcoverteddy - Do you work for Tesco?
    nice thought but no such luck, I would have supported sainsbury, morrisons or even Asda, you might wonder the reasoning behind this, well for year Ireland yhas been well known for dear groceries ijn fact stupid priced grocery, along came Tesco and down came prices, from the adds one would think the store with the big dog was responsible, then there is superquinn no hepl there and the truly Irish store from Cork, joke, try shopping in our nearest store from ninemilehouse, Callan itis so badly stocked, so thats the reason, Tesco also would probably do more for irish jobs, so support Ireland is Tesco your bhest bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

If Tesco were to come to KK city where do people envisage it opening. If it were the old Cattle Mart site I could envisage traffic chaos. I personally believe that between Dunnes, and particularly Aldi & Lidl KK is well catered for in the cheap cheap food sector. Are Tesco that wonderful? The jobs arguement though well meant is hogwash. If Tesco were to open then they would put as many out of business and cause subsequent unemployment probably equal to what they create. Why do people have such a gra for Tesco? The likes of Tesco et al ultimately eliminate or reduce the choice of shopping alternatives as we know them. I feel it is a great shame that M & S didn't get into McDonagh Junction. Another Dunnes was not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dunnes have a dominant position in KK which many people hate. So what they provide employment, they do not provide choice for the customer. Tesco would at least break the unhealthy hold Dunnes has over the city and county.

Ultimately Haddockman the likes of Tesco eliminate choice by driving fellow retailers out of business and hence loss of jobs. Don't get me wrong I hold no particular gra for Dunnes. You can pretty much get in Dunnes or Aldi or Lidl what you can get in Tesco save non food items in some circumstances. I appreciate that you can't do a weekly shop in M & S, through cost and lack of range but they offer something different food wise and something a little better in quality than the run of the mil supermarket. Are Tesco percieved as cheaper, better range or what. What is the big attraction. Someone please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

keithj75 wrote: »
    Ultimately Haddockman the likes of Tesco eliminate choice by driving fellow retailers out of business and hence loss of jobs. Don't get me wrong I hold no particular gra for Dunnes. You can pretty much get in Dunnes or Aldi or Lidl what you can get in Tesco save non food items in some circumstances. I appreciate that you can't do a weekly shop in M & S, through cost and lack of range but they offer something different food wise and something a little better in quality than the run of the mil supermarket. Are Tesco percieved as cheaper, better range or what. What is the big attraction. Someone please explain.

It's about choice, I work in Carlow and you can just get different stuff in Tesco, maybe they'll have a special on and you'll pick up something.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ultimately Haddockman the likes of Tesco eliminate choice by driving fellow retailers out of business and hence loss of jobs.
    This does not make sense. Tesco creates jobs to compete with their rivals and the field adjusts. Having two Dunnes and no Tesco is no choice in Kilkenny so I don't know why you'd support this large store monopoly.

I still don't think Tesco will be bothered unless it can get a site where it can have a filling station too.

Catbear Tesco opening will create employment. But the adjustment to which you refer equals jobs being lost. Also Tesco's rip the heart out of town centres wherever they go. I work in both KK and Athlone. In Athlone when Tesco driven Golden Island Shopping Centre was built it destroyed the vibrancy of the main street to the point where visitors wonder where the main street acutally is. The street hasn't recovered. Tralee and Tullamore are two more cases in point. What kind of society do we want. Do we want our town centres to be lifeless during the day. It is incredibly naieve to see Tesco as some panacea to the problem of unemployment and choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Are Dunnes prices not the same nationwide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

bigpink wrote: »
    Are Dunnes prices not the same nationwide?

No, not necessarily, they have the systems to adjust pricing, depending on local competitor activity. If you look at someplace like Galway whcih has Joyce's, a large and vesy succesful independent supermarket, they provide real competition for Dunnes so Dunnes have to be able to adjust pricing to compete on a local level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Personally, I am very happy not having a Tesco in Kilkenny.

Between the supermarket chains we have and all the local producers and shops, I find that I am more than catered for.

As for Dunnes, I don't shop there so for anyone who has a problem with Dunnes, I'd suggest just not shopping there. Between Superquinn, Lidl and Supervalu there's plenty of alternates.

And Keithj75 is bang on the money when he says that whilst Tesco will create jobs, they will also put a lot of other local shops out of business.

Catbear Tesco opening will create employment. But the adjustment to which you refer equals jobs being lost. Also Tesco's rip the heart out of town centres wherever they go. I work in both KK and Athlone. In Athlone when Tesco driven Golden Island Shopping Centre was built it destroyed the vibrancy of the main street to the point where visitors wonder where the main street acutally is. The street hasn't recovered. Tralee and Tullamore are two more cases in point. What kind of society do we want. Do we want our town centres to be lifeless during the day. It is incredibly naieve to see Tesco as some panacea to the problem of unemployment and choice.
    Keith, when I said adjustment I did mean jobs losses in one place and job creation in the other. If it were otherwise it would be an addition, not an adjustment. So I guess we agree in the meaning if not the phrasing.

On the other point about lifeless towns, just remember that the absence of any forward looking planning in the past has done far more damage than any new supermarket brand could in the future. Just count the empty Section 23 units in Kilkenny which are costing us in debt repayments agreed to by a greed corrupted government. The consequences of which are still unfolding in Kilkenny without a Tesco.

You ask what kind of society we want? Preferably one that will sooner let badly run banks go bust before opposing competition. If this is where we disagree, then so be it. I don't want to be part of your society if it protects the rights of monopolies before all else.

Catbear I'm not in favour of monopolies and don't recall saying that I was. I recall England in the late 80's and we are aping it now. The same old shops in every town. Little or no individuality. If Tesco were to come it should have been to McDonagh. Two Dunnes in KK is looney. Truth be told that the likes of Tesco and in an Irish context Dunnes end up eliminating choice by closing alternatives down. Thankfully with the entry of the Germans Lidl and Aldi it has been put to both Tesco and Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There's a thread on this board about the centre of Kilkenny vs retail parks so it's happening already despite no Tesco. Stable door, horse, bolted. It's up to the businesses in an lár and the powers that be to ensure that there's enough in there to entice people to come in and spend their money. Be it a better selection of reasonably priced shops, improved opening hours, a traffic management system that actually works...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

M&S Food Hall on the High Street would be a nice addition.I have to drive to Newbridge to stock up on sultana cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

M&S Food Hall on the High Street would be a nice addition.I have to drive to Newbridge to stock up on sultana cookies.

Definitely. The amount of people thagt go to Newbridge for M&S is unreal. One in Naas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

There is an M&S in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

One has to go a lot further into the problem, the small shop keeper has had it's day where food is concerned, one has only to look at the prices of the convenience stores, no one could afford to do the weekly shop. In truth Tesco is not the beall, it is the stiffling of competition by a group of people, who were elected to represent the people (us), one has to wonder who they represent, it was common knowledge that the people of Callan were clammering for Tesco, in fact anything to provide competition to the one and only supermarket. One has only to look to see that from ninemilehouse it is in our interest to go to Clonmel, happy new year

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

hi5 wrote: »

I found the M&S in Clonmel, very small with ltd stock. I thought as it was out of the way that it might have been bigger. Same for Newbridge but a small bit bigger than Clonmel I thought.

I will end up sticking with Liffey Vally or Cork.

A tesco in KK would be ideal IMO

hi5 wrote: »

Newbridge handier these days plus ya have all the other shops there.

• Advertisement

Very long way to go for some shopping though, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No. I certainly would.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Very long way to go for some shopping though, no?

Not weekly just every so often. If Kilkenny doesn't offer choice people look elsewhere.

Kilkenny certainly doesn't offer choice, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 skype919

Kilkenny certainly could do with more choice for Supermarkets! On the 23rd December i had to queue for 1hr 25mins in Super Valur Loughbouy to get served! Have to say also that McDonagh is a bit of an excuse for a shopping centre? If what i hear is correct (that Tesco will be opening at the Cattle Mart site) then i'm sure retailers like TK Max, HMV.. etc will follow suit just like they did in Waterford (TK Max moved that is)... I do fear the Walmart effect slightly though with Tesco, but to be fair there definately is enough business for a Tesco along with the Dunnes and Super Value that's here already! If people really have a problem with Tesco then just don't go there?? ... simple as that! I for one would be glad of the Jobs boost, even during the construction.....

I heard that Kmart had offloaded the mart site to KCC, anyone know what the truth is?

Advertisement