Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying parts from Peats, or buying premade PC?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello all.

I have been wanting to build a desktop PC for a while now. Mainly for gaming, but also for internet browsing and multimedia.

I appologise, but I am a beginner at doing so, so I was wondering if it would be better to purchase individual parts from Peats and put together a PC by myself, or buy a brand new one in PC World or Currys.

I would not be looking for something too fancy, just something that can run better than the 4 year old Laptop that I am currently using now :P

I have a budget of around 400 - 700, so was wondering what my best bet would be. Would this price get me something i can play fairly modern games on? Anything cheaper would also be pretty cool, however don't know if one can get a PC for cheaper.

Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers, - Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Cobbe354 wrote: »
    Hello all.

I have been wanting to build a desktop PC for a while now. Mainly for gaming, but also for internet browsing and multimedia.

I appologise, but I am a beginner at doing so, so I was wondering if it would be better to purchase individual parts from Peats and put together a PC by myself, or buy a brand new one in PC World or Currys.

I would not be looking for something too fancy, just something that can run better than the 4 year old Laptop that I am currently using now :P

I have a budget of around 400 - 700, so was wondering what my best bet would be. Would this price get me something i can play fairly modern games on? Anything cheaper would also be pretty cool, however don't know if one can get a PC for cheaper.

Cheers, - Dave.

Buy your stuff online. There are a number of outlets (e.g. Elara, Pixmania,) which are pretty reliable and the prices are keen.

I tend to steer clear of the outlets you mention.

Go online and look for ideas.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/us/#redir
    Have a root around that site for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Cobbe354 wrote: »
    buy a brand new one in PC World or Currys.
    PC World = Currys. You'd get an office PC there for that much, but I don't think they'd run games well.

Cheers, - Dave.

Do you need monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cobbe354

Do you need monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse?

Thanks for the quick replys!

Actually, I already have speakers, a keyboard and mouse... just would need a moniter to be honest.

I'm sure i can find a cheap enough one around somewhere however.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cobbe354

bette wrote: »
    Buy your stuff online. There are a number of outlets (e.g. Elara, Pixmania,) which are pretty reliable and the prices are keen.

I tend to steer clear of the outlets you mention.

Go online and look for ideas.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/us/#redir
    Have a root around that site for ideas.

Cheers mate!

I'll definitely have a browse around.

However to be perfectly honest, i don't exactly know what i'm looking for. A bit of a downside.

I'm not too familiar with what i would exactly need to have a fully working pc.

I'm guessing motherboard, graphics card, case, ram? I'm not the best as you can tell.

You need a minimum of

Processor - Intel or AMD
    Graphics card - nVidia or ATI
    Motherboard - Choose to suit the processor and your needs
    RAM - Temporary storage, you should be able to get 4GB.
    PSU - Power supply unit - Converts, regulates and distributes power to your various parts.
    Case - Whatever fits the components that you like and your own personal preferences.
    Monitor
    DVD drive
    Hard drive - storage
    +Optional extras

It's cheapest to order online. You can order from places operating in Ireland (advantage - close if you run into any problems, disadvantage - dear), the UK (cheaper) or Germany (much cheaper, but sites such as the popular hardwareversand.de demand you do a bank transfer as opposed to credit card).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Considering you will need a monitor and an OS included in your budget - i would be inclined to recommend a prebuilt machine with monitor and slap in a 5670 or something afterwards for a bit of gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

check the sticky posts for a good budget PC as well

It's very doable if ordered from hardwareversand. If you got something like the G2220HD monitor which is only €125 on top of something like Solitaire has speced here with a few tweaks and updates, it is extremely possible. Maybe a different PSU, now that there's more selection.

Are you a student/have kids that you can avail of student software to reduce the OS cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[IMG][/img]amdx3build.png

That's those new crappy CX430s. I couldn't recommend those without more reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement