Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

finding out google street maps informtion??

• 17-10-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

hi guys, sorry if in wrong section, i have an image of a property took off street maps in roscommon,ireland, i need to verify the date, approx date, of when it was taken, the bottom of the page says 2010, but the copyright watermark in the middle of the page says 2009??? this information might be the difference between me having to go to court and testify in a fraud case, if i can prove this pic was taken in 2009..i will not have to do it..by the way it is a work issue not a private law suit. thanks

example>> http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hl=en&tab=wl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I think you probably got the wrong forum. I don't believe the exif information would be stored in google map images. You would need to talk to google directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The images were taken in summer 2009, but you will need to contact Google directly to get exact information. Only they can confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

iv sent email to google...no reply, well never believed id get one...but if they put 2009 as a watermark copyright...surely that has to be the approx date in which it was taken??

the background to the pic is> a client is saying that something happened to her property on a particular date...weeks ago... but the image on GE shows the issue was there when the pic was taken...which if true is fraudulent..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

afaik they started up in donegal at the end of the winter (lots of snow still left up there and there's a thread in the donegal forum) and worked south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

It's unlikely any of the google street view images were taken in the last month. You will need to get Google to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Find a filling station in the area, look at the price of petrol on the sign , compare price against records here http://www.pumps.ie/

lol...it is a one horse town mate:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

5uspect wrote: »
    afaik they started up in donegal at the end of the winter (lots of snow still left up there and there's a thread in the donegal forum) and worked south.
    The picture of my house in Wexford is deffo the last week in June 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

5uspect wrote: »

The pic of one of my relations in North Donegal was taken in Sept 2009 (child's birthday party clearly evident in the background)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

To narrow it down a little perhaps, areas of Dublin City and Meath that i've seen have local election posters up.

The local elections happened on 5th of June, 2009 so in those areas the imagery pre-dates or is within days of 5th of June, 2009 (most likely pre-dates it as the election posters come down fairly quickly normally).

So if there were distinguishing marks such as these you may be able to narrow it down. In this case you could safely say the images were taken in the lead up to June of 2009. I doubt that would be good enough for the courts, but you might be able to fend off a court action if thats what you are seeking to do.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    To narrow it down a little perhaps, areas of Dublin City and Meath that i've seen have local election posters up.

The local elections happened on 5th of June, 2009 so in those areas the imagery pre-dates or is within days of 5th of June, 2009 (most likely pre-dates it as the election posters come down fairly quickly normally).

So if there were distinguishing marks such as these you may be able to narrow it down. In this case you could safely say the images were taken in the lead up to June of 2009. I doubt that would be good enough for the courts, but you might be able to fend off a court action if thats what you are seeking to do.

no im trying to prove that this is a fraud case...as the photos were taken prior to a particular thing happening, if you know what i mean.

great tips guys...seems there was an election on in the county that time...well june 2009:) so unless the posters are still up in september the 1st 2010...im sorted!! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Only problem with this is not all the photos need to have been taken at the same time. I took up your cause, and noticed this
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.630602,-8.190329&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.630523,-8.190184&panoid=yU5KICT7E2EQN_ZnCU75rA&cbp=12,313.4,,0,2.86

Not the Sinn Fein election poster, yet move one step forward along the square, and we get

http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.630531,-8.1902&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.63061,-8.190346&panoid=Hc5XhuVn-_t7MslvagAmvg&cbp=12,228.4,,0,2.86

<poof> I doubt these were taken on the same day. Still, hopefully it's evidence enough for what you need

EDIT: there are several streets in google maps roscommon that have no election posters whatsoever. Either these were ignored completely by the politicians (unlikely) or the google maps cars did a several runs

Only problem with this is not all the photos need to have been taken at the same time. I took up your cause, and noticed this
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.630602,-8.190329&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.630523,-8.190184&panoid=yU5KICT7E2EQN_ZnCU75rA&cbp=12,313.4,,0,2.86

Not the Sinn Fein election poster, yet move one step forward along the square, and we get

http://maps.google.ie/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.630531,-8.1902&spn=0,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.63061,-8.190346&panoid=Hc5XhuVn-_t7MslvagAmvg&cbp=12,228.4,,0,2.86

<poof> I doubt these were taken on the same day. Still, hopefully it's evidence enough for what you need

EDIT: there are several streets in google maps roscommon that have no election posters whatsoever. Either these were ignored completely by the politicians (unlikely) or the google maps cars did a several runs

fair point mate, but the area im taking about is a one shop,one pub village....i dont think they would have went out a 2nd time for any reasons..what you think?

Depends how savvy/difficult the guy is. Me personally, I'd probably accept it as proof I was going to lose an argument.

It'd be nice if there was a shot where you could see an election poster and what you're looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Two views of my house on "Maps" were taken in different months.
    I wouldn't think that you could use a Google Maps view in a legal case unless Google themselves were willing to stand over the date the image was taken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You could probably request a list of dates that the Google Car was in Ireland. If the last time it was here was before the date you require then that should be enough. For court to be evidence you will probably require that in writing.

I seen the Google car in Drogheda, and it photographed me (I;m on the maps view), so I know it was definitely doing a photo run at the time.

This would be around May-June 2009. Going by what others have said already, I reckon Google started and finished in ireland before 2010 started.

EDIT;

Also, according to this post;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68264735&postcount=301

bonerm wrote: »
    First Dublin streetview images are up.

Google Streetview went live before the 1st of September 2010 anyway, so they couldn't have been still taking photos.

Google Streetview went live before the 1st of September 2010 anyway, so they couldn't have been still taking photos.

TrAxV.png

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/maps/streetview/where-is-street-view.html

We have established they have gone over some areas at later dates, so we really can't say anything for completely certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Street View images are not real time
    Our images show only what our vehicles were able to see on the day that they drove past the location. Afterward, it takes at least a few months to process the collected images before they appear online. This means that images you look at on Street View could be anywhere from a few months to a few years old.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/maps/streetview/privacy.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement