Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragu to pasta bake?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Watching Jamie Oliver the other day making a 30-minute ragu, it looked ok - I still think the simmer for hours method is probably better - but at the end he made the intriguing claim that once you'd had your fill, you could simply break a couple eggs into it and make a pasta bake, which presumably could be frozen in portions.

I make ragu a lot, and simply freeze it in separate portions, which I reheat while boiling up fresh pasta. It turns out ok, but this pasta bake thing sound tasty too, and it would mean that I could mix the pasta and ragu up during the cooking phase, something I can't do right now.

All recipes online for pasta bake are for making it from scratch, so does anyone know where Oliver is coming from, break a couple eggs in and hey presto, bake! Does it need anything more than that? What about cooking times/temp? Would it work with all pasta - linguini, for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I actually watched that programme but didn't notice him mentioning the pasta bake part!

I presume all he meant is that you can break the eggs into it, mix it all up and heat through in the oven. The eggs would bind the pasta together and maybe prevent it from going all hard and crispy on top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Kitty28

I saw this too and made it for dinner tonight! Have to say it was very tasty. Not sure if the sausage meat I used was more than 80% meat as Jamie recommended, bought it from the butchers. Have a good bit left over, as Malari said, reckon it would be nice baked off with egg mixture and maybe some cheese on top!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OK, bit late but I cooked the ragu the other night (and it's great, loved it!) and reheated in as a bake last night. It works well, for second day pasta.

I just added an egg, a spoon of sour cream - Jamie's love of chilli does not quite equal my own! - and grated cheese on top. In a medium oven for about 25 mins.

Advertisement