Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting on the FENce ..

Options
  • 17-10-2010 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

what do people act think of the fence noght club in mullingar ......were al grown away from mojos but i think yhey shouldopen somwhere larger and better and i here the lane is awful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    what do people act think of the fence noght club in mullingar ......were al grown away from mojos but i think yhey shouldopen somwhere larger and better and i here the lane is awful

I don't mean to be a pedantic prick here but if you put a little more structure and effort into your post, then you would have a couple of responses. Just 30 seconds even.

There hasn't really been much discussion of nightclubs here before but for the odd person visiting for a weekend posting here in advance.

For the nightclubs at the moment in town you have:

Mojos: I was in the last couple of weekends with some mates, people leaving the country and the rest so plenty of craic and beer for us. The place is fine, however, it hasn't changed enough imo over the last few years. Music is the same, layout the same, when it's busy the toilets can't be accessed (god help you if you are a woman.). On the other hand, staff have been pleasant and professional. They were doing €3 drinks on Fridays iirc. To me it seems that less underage kids are making there way inside too. €10 admission on Saturdays/Sundays... too steep imo. It has the largest dance floor and smoking area in town also.

Final Fence: I have only been here about maybe times in the last year. The place has changed a lot for the better, seemed to have jazzed it up a little and re-arranged the layout. Music is more varied than Mojos. All the old security staff is gone now fwiw. €11 admission on Saturday and ridiculous queues put me off but €3 drinks on Friday with €5 admission is pretty reasonable in my book. I don't smoke but for people who do, the smoking area is tiny and the smallest in town. Dance floor is smaller than Mojos also.

The Lane: I have less knowledge of here tbh, only been about 5 times total since it opened. It isn't a bad looking nightclub overall, tries to be a bit more upmarket than it is imo. Music is good, sound is probably best of the clubs in town. The drink specials on Thursday were the cheapest in town about 2 months ago when I last visited it: €2 for selected drinks €5 for 2 long necks, with €5 admission. Bigger dance floor than the fence and bed, just a bit smaller than Mojos. My issues are that the toilet facilities are fine if you are only going to have 2 people over for dinner. If that place is busy, I suggest that you invest in a nappy or colostomy bag. It is extremely narrow and is pretty awkward to get anywhere when busy. Smoking area is bigger than the fence but smaller than Mojos.

Bed (Formerly Spin): New Management, complete overhaul, some new staff and a complete reinvention of the venue has brought the place to life as far as I am concerned. No cover charge except on Thrusday - €5 + €3 drink promos. This is obviously great value. It has a real cozy and warm feel to it now. Crowd has changed a lot too, more younger people bopping away. For a small boutique nightclub it punches above it's weight and is a credit to the people involved as to how much the place has turned around. My personal favourite if you couldn't already tell. It would not have been 2 years ago though. Music is varied, there is a pole in the middle of a small dance floor (smallest in town btw.). Smoking area is bigger than both The final fence and the lane but it falls short of Mojos. Staff are pleasant and friendly. Toilets seems to be fine as it has a smaller capacity than the other clubs. They now do food during the day and take aways also. It is billed as good quality produce probably aimed at oscars customers and those involved would be known around town. I can't comment on the food as I never sampled anything just yet.

The Greville: I at 24 years of age cannot claim to have ever been to a nightclub there. I don't know if that says a lot about the place. Maybe someone else can fill in here..... Have eaten at the restaurant and attended functions plenty of times, not a bad place from those experiences.

Anyone else with anything to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Well summed up there really......BED & Mojos are owned and run by the same family....Simon Mooney wh does the food in BED was the co founder of Ilias Tapas & More so the food should be top notch based on his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zoolander1

Much prefer certain pubs over niteclubs in this town.

Depends what age you are really....Fence is more grown up than Mojo's but 11euro in is fecking steep....not to mention the stair case at the entrance is a trek if you have a few on you...:D....would end up in there more regularly than anywhere else.....Mojo's I used to go to years back, have ended up in there the odd Sunday in the last few years...different crowd on a Sunday. Greville was really popular a while back, used to go there every week but the last time I was there it was empty and i've heard similar since so not been back,.

If I had to make a sober choice I wouldnt go to any of them having to pay 10 euro in, but with a few drinks on me staggering up the town then the fence would be my choice.

Turns out the nites either side of Saturday are better value but less people out of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

thanx for the essay, woops sorry about the first msg i must of been half asleep maybe,,,,:rolleyes:

cool just was wandering what the story was with the mullingar scene as i havnt been there in ages...i love danny byrnes the last time i was there.

i dont like the Fence...im likin the sounds of the lane now or bed??? we'll see!

Thanx again for replyin to my post! cheers.

P.S laughed my head off about the nappy and kilostamy bag.

• Advertisement

As far as pubs go imo we have it pretty good in Mullingar. Admittedly most Saturdays I will vote with my wallet and be in Dannys as there is a late bar and no cover charge. Live music 6 nights a week and there is now a dance floor from the previously unused back room. To be honest it almost merits being put with the nightclubs listed above but the late bar is generally only on Saturdays.

Any one of Dalys, Canton Caseys, Caffreys, Danny Byrnes, The Old Stand and Kerrigans are great quality pubs. It's a pity too John Macs closed down as it was a fantastic spot.

yea i eally like dannys aw thats cool they have the danc floor now, is it any good on sat nites there

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    yea i eally like dannys aw thats cool they have the danc floor now, is it any good on sat nites there

Yeah it's definitely a popular choice, always a good live band and the place is guaranteed to be packed. Personally prefer it on other nights when it's a little quieter, then again everywhere is going to busy on Saturday.

Advertisement