Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 mod?

• 17-10-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I dont own a xbox 360 but i am thinking of buying one (preferably a modded one). However i am not sure which make to get. I read a post on a different thread that the new slim ones cannot be hacked. So what model should i be getting ? What should i look for when i see a console in order to determine if this can be hacked or not? Also what does the word Jtag mean? I have read so many posts about it having something to do with the dashboard an all. I am confused and any help would be greatly appreciated..

Cheerz

N.B: Is dashboard on the xbox the same as the XMB on the PS3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The newer slim models cannot currently be modified. There is no possiblity of a JTAG or DVD drive flashing.

If you want DVD flashing you need an older model, any will do.

If you want a JTAG you need an older model, which was manufactured in June 2009 or before and has a dashboard (the XMB of the PS3) version of 2.0.7371 or lower.

JTAGing your console allows the installation of modified versions of the xbox 360 dashboard. These modiciations include region removal, the removal of the "only microsoft hard drives are allowed for storage" check (i.e. go out and buy a 500gb or 1tb drive and it'll work), the removal of the requirement to only allow "signed" content.

Signed content is official content. You can run homebrew applications/games on a JTAG, you can modify games installed to the console hard drive so you don't need to insert the disc to play and your disc can remain in it's box forevermore and do all sorts of stuff. In essence, the JTAG is WIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Hi TouchingVirus, can I ask a question?

I have an Xbox 360 with a production date of April 2009. Sadly the firmware says 2.0.9199.0. Which is a newer firmware in which you stated that can be jtagged.

But if I restore my Xbox 360 to its original settings will this also restore the lower firmware? :)

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's not possible to restore it your stuck with that dashboard version you cannot downgrade to a previous version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Thanks for the reply.

One more question. How does jtag work? Once i " make my xbox 360 jtagged " Do i copy games into the systems hard disk and play from there or can i download games from the internet, burn it into a dvd and play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Well you can't jtag your current Xbox but you can do both and a little bit more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jmx009 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

One more question. How does jtag work? Once i " make my xbox 360 jtagged " Do i copy games into the systems hard disk and play from there or can i download games from the internet, burn it into a dvd and play?

We can't really discuss that end of it here, it's against the forum charter to discuss piracy etc. A jtag can run unsigned content, basically it will run anyting you throw at it once it's designed to run on an xbox360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

EnterNow wrote: »
    We can't really discuss that end of it here, it's against the forum charter to discuss piracy etc. A jtag can run unsigned content, basically it will run anyting you throw at it once it's designed to run on an xbox360.

Sorry, my bad. Thanks for all the advice.I now need to find a jtagable (jasper model) 360. I have to say, it aint easy to find one.

So is jtag'ing your console the only way to play DLC? (if you get me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

LighterGuy wrote: »
    So is jtag'ing your console the only way to play DLC? (if you get me)

I got you. Buying (like paying money) is the only way to play DLC.

Ba'da'dish.

• Advertisement

Ba'da'dish.

There was no joke in that statement by docentore :)

Then if that is true he knows where to go :)

I think the point was that if you want to discuss things like you're implying then you know where to go (i.e not boards.ie ;))

Then if that is true he knows where to go :)

If it's piracy/stealing/theft/breaking the law you want to discuss, then it's you who needs to know where to go. Boards.ie does not condone the afforementioned acts, and stealing DLC is one of them. Please don't post things like "he knows where to go", another charter guideline is that we are all civil to each other - and as I'm sure we are all mature adults, that's something we should be able to do :)

....If it's piracy/stealing/theft/breaking the law you want to discuss, then it's you who needs to know where to go. Boards.ie does not condone the afforementioned acts, and stealing DLC is one of them....

I know boards doesnt condone that. But... well... "implying" is something you can see alot :P
    ...Please don't post things like "he knows where to go", another charter guideline is that we are all civil to each other - and as I'm sure we are all mature adults, that's something we should be able to do smile.gif...

What can I say :P I "suggested" with a question :P No big deal. besides, sarcasm doesnt fall into being civil aswell :P

No big deal anyways :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

you're right, no big deal. But I don't like to be said "to go I know where"
    I know boards doesnt condone that. But... well... "implying" is something you can see alot :P

Would you say that forum about modding cars is implying going 120mph through red lights?
    What can I say :P I "suggested" with a question :P No big deal. besides, sarcasm doesnt fall into being civil aswell :P

No big deal anyways :)

I think sarcasm was most civil answer to your post, which was actually posted just after one of the mods remainded everyone to not to discuss piracy. Two posts later you started your "you know what", wink wink, notch notch.

Console modding forum @boards is great forum. Lot of help I got here, I think I helped others as well. I wouldn't like to see it closed just because someone is to lazy to read a forum charter AND the whole thread one is posting in.

But no big deal ;)

docentore wrote: »
    Console modding forum @boards is great forum. Lot of help I got here, I think I helped others as well. I wouldn't like to see it closed just because someone is to lazy to read a forum charter AND the whole thread one is posting in.

An absolute +1 to this, I'll crack up if something was to happen to this forum and we do have a nice little thing going on here :)

It might be seen as being very heavy handed, but it's better to err on the side of caution with regards to a few things console-modding related ;)

It might be seen as being very heavy handed

For a forum where the charter isn't read by a lot of newer users, it's not even heavy handed. I think I've given two warnings and one ban since I started modding here. I've always taken the approach that it's better to educate a newer user about a mistake as opposed to going in with a ban hammer, it generates respect & hopefully keeps posters regular. So where possible, I try to point out the error & hope it won't be repeated. There are of course users who seem to get a kick out of mixing it up a bit, and for those users yes by all means, a heavy handed approach is better. But like I said, two warnings & one ban in several months means most users have the intelligence & respect for everyone else to learn to use this forum within the guidelines that Kinetic set out originally :)

Advertisement