Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Moving Country

• 17-10-2010 12:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was vaguely aware of of the issue before, but had ignored it. Now I can't. :mad:

Has anyone ever managed to find a way around the inability to change the country that your account is registered to?

I've tried on account.live.com and it does let me change the country. This is not linked properly with the XBox account though.

I've tried calling XBox support and they couldn't enter my new foriegn card details in their system, so sent me to billing.microsoft.com but that site also won't let me change the country.

Is there any method of being able to pay MS once you leave the country you initially registered in? I can't believe they don't want my money.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

Either go to Game, Gamestop or other main games branch and purchase the cards, otherwise set up a new account and download content and it will be transferred to you'r original account, this includes DLC, videos, games, demos etc.

What I mean is, imagine you have two accounts, one called Harry and one called Bob.

Harry is you're main account, and it's registered in S.Ireland. You purchase everything of it using a card, no problem.

You move to N.Ireland where the currency is the pound to you're euro.
    You set up an account called Bob, and use this account to purchase games, DLC etc. Once you're purchases have finished downloading switch back to you're harry account, and you're purchases will be there.

A minor hassle and there's no way around it, if you google you're problem you will see that microsoft has no intention of fixing this problem or are they worried.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Unfortunately there is no way of changing the country an account is tied to. A new gamertag as mlindsay has said is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

keep your current gamertag, but buy your points online. youll save a fortune tbf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not actually a huge issue for me as it's only between Ireland and the UK, but it is fecking stupid that it can't be changed. Guess it means that the risk of my credit card being charged for the yearly subs is removed as it is impossible for them to add a new one to the system though.

Lot the link now, but I did see a couple of comments and a link to an xbox.com page that migration from one country to another will be available in the November update. They were a bit vague about which countries that could be done between though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

robinph wrote: »
    They were a bit vague about which countries that could be done between though.

It's going to be where ever xbox live is supported so you've got nothing to worry about. Just a matter of time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, hope they allow this. I moved to the US a year and a half ago and still have my Irish live account. I can renew my live subscription no problem in the US but can't buy MS points here and still see the irish/uk content in live instead of US stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

i have this problem, i cant still add my irish cc but some games, zune vids & add ons (cod waw for example) i couldnt access... head wrecking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nymory

Don't create a new account. I did this moved from Canada to US and it worked for the first 3 times I played the game, after that, my content from my Canadian gamertag did NOT work, despite re-downloading, trying it, even license transferring and trying again.

I did see a note in live this week that they are enabling you to migrate gamertags to different countries starting in November 2010. Only once per year though. I don't know any more details. Take a look on xbox live to find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

robinph wrote: »
    Lot the link now, but I did see a couple of comments and a link to an xbox.com page that migration from one country to another will be available in the November update. They were a bit vague about which countries that could be done between though.

I would be absolutely delighted if they finally allowed this!
    Had no end of trouble after moving to the UK, and recently had to resort to setting up a second account just so that I could purchase DR case zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

any idea on whether this has started today?

• Advertisement

got confirmation from @xboxsupport on twitter last night that this is not happening.

its onyl for new countries added to live scheme.

do i now have to open a new account?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bloody stupid reasoning behind them blocking it. They either trust their IP blocking for content or they don't, they don't then need the additional restriction on top of that which prevents you from getting stuff that your actually entitled to.

bonkers wrote: »
    do i now have to open a new account?

honestly, no

just use the existing account but buy your ms points with your creditcard for cheap online

youll be tied to the contents of the irish store, but it could be worse

that said, if youre moving to a different region (eg the usa) then you wont be able to use dlc bought from the irish store with that region's games

if i dont buy new account i wont be able to use.. espn or netflix .. did the new update add anything to xbox in ireland?

are you actually gonna use those things though?

if you are, then get a new account. if not, get apple tv instead

Advertisement