Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1s

• 17-10-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Could people give me advice on how to get an A1 in English, Maths, German, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Applied Maths?
    All higher level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Study until you can answer questions to an A1 level. Work on areas that you are losing marks on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well the only subject you've mentioned that I got an A1 in was Maths.

Just keep doing past exam papers. Keep doing them until you're blue in the face. They're the key to doing well.

For other subjects, keep using past exam papers, doing answers without looking at notes etc., grading them against the marking scheme, or much more ideally handing them up to your teacher to correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

This may seem obvious but you need to study everything on the course. For example you may not be too keen on the organic chemistry section and not study it properly but if the inorganic questions are a bit trickier than expected then you are stuck with them. It’s not uncommon to find questions that are relatively unchallenging on each paper, however if you haven’t studied this section then you can’t benefit.

For maths and science questions you should be good and quick enough to do an extra question on each paper, this is my opinion and may not work for everybody. There is always the possibility that you make a basic mistake on a question that is fairly straightforward and forfeit full marks so always check your work. This is a skill in itself; too many people don’t do a thorough check and lose out.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I got an A1 in maths.I used concise maths.FIrst i revised the chapter in the book and then i did the relevant questions in the exam papers.I tried to learn as many methods of doing a problem as I could.This really helps int he actual exam.It came in handy when 1c last year of Paper 1.I tried doing the questions two different ways by using division and lining up coeffiecents and neither worked for me so i just used vietes formulas for relations between a cubic.I found it very handy but another person might be different.Google for that particular method maybe.Try and find quick ways of knowing whether you are right or wrong.You should also use matrices when doing linear transformations as It saves time.I did exam papers and mock exam papers towards the end of the year and that really helped.I emailed deb exam papers and they sent me out the last three years worth and i did them.Also i found the mock exam papers from the early 00's and did them as well.

Do the papers back as far as 94.It seems like alot but the exam papers repeat over time.If time allows try and do maths questions from another text book like tests and texts or discovering maths(i never actually used this one but its an idea). For solutions to questions i found www.examinations.ie www.studentxpress.ie and www.mathsireland.com very helpful as they clear cut solutions.You could get the revision books if you wanted for a bit of extra practise.I had the less stress more success ones.I wouldnt bother with the revise wise books as they just use past exam questions. and give the solutions.

Id consider teaching yourself the further probability and statistics questions as its easier and can be done faster.I did last years one in 5 minutes .You could even start with this question to build your confidence get ahead of your time curve and be a good mood in the exam.Very important not to stress during the exam.

Basically just do as many questions as you can and dont leave out bits of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I got A1s in Biology and Chemistry.

Learn the practicals really well for chemistry, you can do nearly 4 questions on practicals alone, if you can manage your time well. Everything should be second nature to you so you're not wasting time thinking up answers. This will allow you time to review the paper too, to correct any mistakes. It's not enough to know what to, you need to know why you're doing it. That is how you will get full marks in the practical questions.

I thought biology was piss easy to be honest, didn't really pay too much attention to it.

You need to spend lots of time with all the subjects, saturate your brain with the material. The thing about the sciences is that to do well, they want to see that you understand the material, not that you've just learnt it. Do past papers and try to get extra 1 to 1 time with your teacher or a grind teacher. (€€€)

It's always good to do extra questions if you have time left over at the end.

Do as many past papers as possible! Try to do them in the required time, as you would on the day. See if your teacher can correct them for you if there are no solutions. This will not only make the questions second nature to you (there isn't a great deal of variation over the years!) but it will also identify area in which your knowledge may be deficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Thanks so much everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

German you need to know the marking scheme really really well, especially for the written and for the tape. Can't stress how important this is. Native speakers get Bs over not working with it. It's all about technique. When they say give details in the tape they can want up to 12! so give as many as possible, and be really accurate and specific, as much word for word translation as possible. If you can't give the answer in English specified you'll still get half marks for answering it in german so worth a shot if you're stuck. There are only so many things that can come up in the grammar section so it's not worth leaving any out. Learn loads for the oral and then you can use alot of the vocab in the written. If aural isn't your strong point then get a cd and practice it a few times a week. For the written pick some set phrases and sentence structures eg cunjunction, know them properly and you can use them no matter what.Do the project for the oral if possible, much less learning
    Biology just get used to how they word the questions and do past papers because sometimes you can think you're giving a right answer but it's not what they're looking for.
    Chemistry know your experiments, atomic theory and organic chemistry inside out. They make up a huge % of the course. Past papers over and over, use the marking schemes. Practice all the calculation questions because thinking that you can do them in theory doesn't always translate. Understand everything, it makes it easy to learn
    I never did get an A1 in english so not sure I can help you there . . in fairness I got an a2 and nobody needs 600 points so I'll throw in my 2 pence. Have about 4 paper 1 essays written to the standard that you are aiming for. Rewrite and have them recorrected until you reach the standard. It will help alot in knowing what's a good essay and alot can be reused in the exam. In questions Bs they are crazy about tone, so go completely ott with it, cringeworthy but they love it. With question As get to the point and prove it quickly. they like you to be concise. I had a few variations of comparative essay learned off and just learned how to tailor them to the question, same with poetry. don't learn off someone elses, write and rewrite your own until it's good enough. this will make it easier to adapt than if you just learned it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Ok so how to get an A in Art .. ?
    im not some super artist .. i need advice on both history and drawing .. ? i did got c1 last year ..but i need at last b1 this year . any advice much appreciated . :confused:

and i got c2 in physics , but i didn't do electricity part at all .. will i have to knew it to get an A? if i know every thing else inside oout ? i hate ele . and would just doing exam papers this year be enough to get that A ? in the school im repeating in there s no phys teacher so i have to do something on my own .. im sick of looking at textbook so will exam papers be enough ?

Heeelp . :P and thanks for any advices / opinions !

Advertisement