Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammock camping?

Options
  • 17-10-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

It looks like a fun lightweight way to camp, but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it over here.

I reckon it could open up a lot of the forests to overnight stays without having to build shelters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

ScottStorm wrote: »
    It looks like a fun lightweight way to camp, but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it over here.

I reckon it could open up a lot of the forests to overnight stays without having to build shelters.
    plenty of us use hammocks here. check the bushcraft thread. hammocks are not about weight saving. it is very comfortable though. and it is great when you have woodland on a non-level slope. it is interesting having a 1 foot drop one side of your hammock and a 5 foot drop on the other.
    look into double dragon hammocks. cheap and good. also you will need a mat or underblanket as without them you lose a lot of heat from below. you need a tarp, and a goretex bivy bag type thing is also good in the really rough weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Thanks, I wasn't sure if they got much use around these parts, I heard some have pockets on the underside that you can stuff with vegetation etc to add insulation.

I'll definitely check out those double dragon hammocks, any recommendations as to what size tarp would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Bivi bags have always been too expensive for me to invest, but I've borrowed them in the past and they're great. http://www.alpkit.com do a bivi bag that is very resonable, I've never used one (don't need to at the moment) but they've a good rep as a company. Might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Bivi bags have always been too expensive for me to invest, but I've borrowed them in the past and they're great. http://www.alpkit.com do a bivi bag that is very resonable, I've never used one (don't need to at the moment) but they've a good rep as a company. Might be worth checking out.
    i have one of those alpkit bags as a back up/ spare. they are the bomb if you are not too broad.
    I heard some have pockets on the underside that you can stuff with vegetation etc to add insulation.
    i would not do this. vegitation does not give enough insulation to irish weather. stick your camp mat in there instead. if you wanna slum it, then just kip on top of the vegitation on the ground. hammocks are luxury. might as well go all out. lol.
    any recommendations as to what size tarp would be good?
    it just has to be big enough to cover your hammock. i use the british army basha. it could do with being a tad bigger, but it is so so unbelievably strong. another good one is the usmc woodland tarp. it is a good big size.

you will usually have to do some modifications to your kit to help keep everything dry. a good one is to put a break in your hammock lines so water does not run down the trees, along your support lines and soak your hammock. cut your support lines short, and attach carabinars. then anchor to the tree with roofrack straps to the carabinars.
    another thing some people use is an underblanket instead of their camp mat. just a sleeping bag that is clipped under your hammock so that it does not get compressed by your weight. it traps the air and keeps you warm. i have not used this method myself as it has no back up uses if i cannot get a hammock up.

hope these ideas help.

Advertisement